Edit More Masks and Mace Suggestion: Looking for Community Feedback: Toa Orde Mace and Mask

Edit at end of original post.
Sacrificed some time during Spring Break to crank out a build for the upcoming DuckBricks fanon contest for Toa Orde, but I’m at somewhat of an impass about a couple of design spots- the mace and choice of mask.

Mace 1: Rhombic. Pro- unique and cool shape. Con- heavy.

Mace 2: Spine. Pro- sharp appearance for dual-type damage. Con- use of new technic gear piece not yet in high circulation.

Mace 3: Serrated Ball. Pro- highly detailed and menacing. Con- use of new gear piece and unpopular jade blade piece.

Mace 4: Technic Gear. Pro- traditional technic design. Con?- simple.

Mace 5: Technic Gear Small. Pro- most accurate to real world size. Con- smallest.

Mace 6: Studded. Pro- most inspired design. Con- no cap.

Mask 1: Kanohi Id (Rothanak). Pro- serious expression promotes authority/seniority. Con- slightly overhanging.

Mask 2: Kanohi Erary (Rothanak). Pro- slick yet simple design promotes confidence. Con- large fit.

Mask 3?: Mask of Weather Control (Exile Treasure). I desire to use this mask, though I have no access to it for the digital make I am limited to currently. I have sent a message on Shapeways, but have not received a response yet. If anyone knows how else to get in contact with the designer for fair use (I am not looking to steal their work), please let me know!

So, what are y’all’s opinions. I am happily open to feedback. Thank you.

Links to mask makes:
Kanohi Id-Saw (JoxBuilds) by Rothanak - Thingiverse
Great Kanohi Erary by Rothanak - Thingiverse
Mask of Weather Control (P582NC32D) by gen_make (shapeways.com)

Mace Suggestion Feedback
It appears to be a toss-up for the rhombic and studded mace designs over the few places I’ve put this forth. A couple of suggestions came to me, which I implemented to a varying degree.
Rhombic

Suggestion- pop out slope pieces.

I don’t know about this one. The addition of the 2x2 plates really kind of breaks the rhombic pattern and leaves more of a spiked mace (which we already have from Helryx + not mentioned = most likely not true to form). Unless I receive significant support for this, I will probably ignore it.

Studded

Suggestion- try to cap the end.

While this came out looking decent, I can’t guarantee the Lego math aligns the stud plates appropriately. I could do the calculation by hand to check that the program isn’t giving a false OK on the alignment, but I am slightly too lazy to care enough at the moment.

Mask Suggestion Feedback
Thanks to @TahnokTrapper , I’ve gained access to more masks from Galva and other designers. This also made it even harder to choose.
As the masks were evenly split between all three of my original mask choices, plus an additional “none of the above” category, I’ll just dump all of the masks I tested here. I don’t suppose there will be a consensus, but perhaps it will let me recognize and implement certain patterns generally liked by the community.
Mask 0: Hau

I don’t plan on using this mask, but as I used it as a placeholder while designing the build, it’s a good reference point. I’ll give my personal scoring (/10) as follows.
Aesthetics: How well does it seem to fit the idea of an early Toa? How well does it mesh with the rest of the model design.
Size: How well does it fit physically?
Powers If Not Left Unknown (PINLU): How well does the power discussed in the description of the mask model fit story-wise? Any models that don’t discuss an ability automatically earn a 10 due to creative possibility.
Other Remarks: Unscored, just an extra area for me to declare any additional notes on possible issues.

Mask 1: Kanohi Bombaik, Great Mask of Molecular Disruption

Aesthetics: 7
Size: 4
PINLU: 8
It is rather small, but looks cool.

Mask 2: Kanohi Id-Saw (JoxBuilds)

Aesthetics: 8
Size: 7
PINLU: 10

Mask 3: Kiril (Pehkui?(Calix??(Mask of Valor???)))

Size: 5
Another cool but small one.

Mask 4: Proto Matoro Inika Mask v3, Kanohi Koom, Mask of Stasis

Aesthetics: 6
Size: 6
PINLU: 7.5
Cool design, just doesn’t mesh too well.

Mask 5: Toa Tuyet’s Great Mask of intangibility, Kanohi Ahp

Size: 9
High PINLU score assuming override from current fanon mask.

Mask 6, 7, 8: Great Kanohi Erary (3 Variants)
1- No Visor

Aesthetics: 9
2- Visor Screen

Separate custom visor piece may be deterring to many.
3- Visor Built In

While there is precedent with like the Kaukau, I think it’s cooler to be able to see the eye piece.

Mask 9: Vincoht. Mask of Limited Invulnerability.

PINLU: 9
Overall decent, but not my favorite.

Mask 10: Noble Pakari Nuva

Size: 8
PINLU: 1
One of my favorites.

Mask 11: ELEMENTAL [volume 1]- Pohrai

PINLU: 6
Possible size fit issue to be cautious about.

Mask 12: Kanohi Kartidz Mask of Ink

Size: 10
PINLU: 6
Kind of weird, but endearing.

Mask 13: The Rejected- Huna

PINLU: 0
I would sort of like to reserve this for a Huna Nuva.

Mask 14: Bionicle Elemental Mask of Magnetism (Galva)- no source found, included in Galvapack Stud.io download.

PINLU: 7

Mask 15: Great Akaku Nuva [Galvanized], Scopeless- no source again, link to scoped version.

Mask 16: Great Azuhi, Mask of Fire

Mask 17: Great Mask of Apathy

Mask 18: Great Kamasa, Mask of Kinetic Absorption (axle)

Though slightly off from the general aesthetics of the build, it’s still cool with a nice power attached.

Mask 19: Great Rupaku, Mask of Tremors, Scopeless- no source again, link to scoped version.

PINLU: 9

Mask 20: Prototype Vahi

Mask 21, 22, 23: Inorganic Iden (3 Variants)
1- Inika Inorganic mask mods- Iden

Aesthetics: 6
2- Great Iden Mata Style

3- Great Inorganic Iden (Redux)-no source again, link to original version.

Mask 24: Toa Gaaki’s Mask of Clairvoyance [Galvanized]

I like how using this mask could imply that Orde was who Gaaki was honoring with her mask.

Mask 25: Toa Hagah Gaaki’s Mask of Clairvoyance

Mask 26: Great Mask of Shapeshifting

Aesthetics: 10
Possible size fit issue to be cautious about.

Mask 27: Noble Mask of Intangibility

PINLU: 1

Mask 28: Bionicle Elemental Mask f Plasma (Galva)- again no source found, included in Galvapack Stud.io download.

PINLU: 8

Mask 29: Bionicle Mask of Direction (Visor/Inner Glass Compatible) (Galva)-no source again, link to original version.

This is my current personal favorite, but I still want to take into account the opinion of others. It has a cool and cohesive look, and the power associated with it is of the same class as Helryx’s.

11 Likes

For the mace, I like the first one: It’s a very simple, iconic shape, it’s a solid build, and it has some creative parts usage with the rubber die piece.

One thing I might change would be to add a 2x2 plate under each “spike” so that they stick out just a bit further from the rubber edges.

I don’t really have any strong opinions on any of the masks.

4 Likes

Any ideas on a good mask, then? (Not Sanok)

2 Likes

I like Mace 4 - it’s simple but that’s part of the appeal. As for the mask: none of the masks really appeal to me (you won’t be allowed to use Mask 3 if it’s not publicly available). If you don’t want to use the Sanok, perhaps you can use one of these publicly available masks by Galva:

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions. I was looking at a few of Galva_bot’s, including the Kamasa, but I limited myself to just one Shapeways item. This is due to my type of build- digital; I need a digital file to integrate the model. As this requires me to ask directly for use from the creator on Shapeways, I limited myself to one. Do you know a better method of going about this? Thanks again for the suggestion.

3 Likes

Rhombic and Serrated Ball are my favorite mace heads. When it comes to Kanohi I’m always for the classics, maybe an Akaku or a Ruru

3 Likes

For the mace, I really like how the serrated one looks.

For the mask: of the ones you showed, I like the first one best. For alternatives, maybe a Matatu if you’re going for something that looks serious (although the mask power might be redundant considering his elemental powers). Before the Sanok was popularized in the fandom, I also used to imagine him with a Ruru (either Great or Noble, although Noble would fit a Mata head better). Heck, I think even a good ol’ golden Hau might look nice on him.

Besides that, the rest of the build looks great! Really evokes that classic feel which is fitting given that he’s one of the first Toa.

3 Likes

Funny you would mention the Hau- I actually used the Hau as a stand-in while creating the model. While it does look good partially for this reason, I don’t plan on having this model submitted with it.

Regarding the Matatu: yes, I am trying to avoid the power redundancy. That’s actually why I am adamantly anti-Sanok. With the power of telekinesis, Orde can already direct any projectile (not just the ones he launches) to wherever he desires. The Sanok is redundant!. *Enter the rant.

Yes, I do agree that the Sanok’s design is very cool, I am not denying that idea. Farshtey has responded to the idea of Orde and Zaria’s masks with a blanket statement about ‘as long as it makes sense story wise’. This is why the Sanok doesn’t fit Orde- redundancy- while the Mask of Adaptation does fit Zaria- survivor’s tool mask.

I desire the Mask of Weather Control by Exile Treasure to combat the Sanok. Of the various models I found, this one was the one I found may be the closest to the Sanok’s. My hopes for using it would be to try and sway some of the Sanok-hypers to vote more for the build, rather than be blind to what otherwise might be a good build just without the “it looks cool” mask.

Rant aside, I am also trying to avoid using known masks. I want the power to be new and exciting (or unknown), allowing for an expansion of the world of Bionicle. This promotes a higher form of creativity, as I see it. I also have my own headcanon ideal for the first Toa having unique and powerful Kanohi.

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

3 Likes

Galva’s masks are available for use in stud.io. You can find his parts pack below.

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you.

3 Likes

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This really was an amazing help. Thank you again.

2 Likes

No problem.

1 Like