Majestic League VOL. 2

IC: There is a low breath, and the moon-eyes close. The Dark Man’s face is black and empty as a mirror, and in it Alistair can see his own face reflected back.

“Axiom. It means truth.”

“Thank you Alistair, for sharing this with me. Your tale is not uncommon among those of mankind. I too tried to end war on my world. I was weak. And I failed. But you have reminded me of this. Of my purpose.”

He raises his other hand and places it on Alistair’s shoulder. It’s almost a familial gesture. The air begins to raise in temperature.

“I can end war, Alistair. Would you like that?”

The air is darkening. The black particles fill the air again, and change, images dancing across them as they circle the doctor and Axiom.

A world empty of war
Where the nations trade and live in peace and without fear
Where the horrors of mankind are bound away, and the madness within them seared off and replaced with altruism, with virtue

The Doctor sees himself, an image of the boy from that world of guns and death. He sees himself whole, unscarred by pain or war, playing other children. Normal children, without guns or the hatred of soldiers in them.

Lay down your sword, Alistair, and take up my cross. Give to me the weapon you would judge the children of men with.

I would have them walk a different path.

Do this, and we can build this world you speak of. A world without war.

The images end, and all that remains are Axiom’s eyes, staring at Alistair like stars.

@jayzor17

IC: The person is a older man, looks to be about in their 50’s. A torn coat is wrapped around their body.

Their face.

The left side of their face is burnt almost, the same alien rust that was consuming the robot. Like a mix of scars and…something other.

Their breaths are shallow and barely perceptible.

“He…he…ll…o.”

They seem to be speaking, very…poorly.

2 Likes

Alistair was moved to tears by Axiom, although nobody could see it behind his mask. He thought of the life he could’ve led if he never ran away, never joined the Plague Doctors, or even never went on that mission to the chemical plant. However, he had come too far at this point just to abandon the mission he was given, his one life purpose. He had lost and sacrificed too much already. The Plague Doctor grabbed Axiom’s arm that was placed on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Axiom. but I can only do this my way. This is the only way to cure the Plague.” He said, pushing the arm off his shoulder. “Even If I wanted to, the plan is too far in progress to be stopped. But don’t worry. You shall be among the worthy who survive.”

It seemed to Axiom that Alistair was too far gone, lost beneath all the madness and tragedy he had endured throughout his life. Lost behind the Plague Mask.

With that, the Plague Doctor drew out his pistol and took dead aim at Pierce and the others. “Are you with me, or against me?” He said, slowly approaching Pierce, The Creator of Ice And Lance.
@controller_of_ice
@Ace

Meanwhile, the wounded scientist approached the steps of a house on a hill.

As Project: Runa said this, he, Adam and Kaleo would hear a desperate pounding at the front door.
@Runa
@Jcton

Runa looked up as his security camera feeds to see who it was. “Probably some beggar from town or something.” He muttered.

He would see a man in a tattered lab coat, with scratches on his face. The logo on his lab coat read: Chem-X

“Hello, is somebody there? Please let me in, it’s urgent.” The scientist pleaded. “Does Project: Runa live here?” He then suddenly asked.
@Runa
@Jcton

Runa suddenly got up and went to the lift, up the stairs, and to the door. “What do you want.” He asked through the door. “And how did you know I live here.”

“We were tasked in tracking down and researching superpowered beings in the city.” The scientist replied. “But don’t worry, your secret is safe with me.” He then mustered the strength to stand up. “I have come here because you may be the only one in the city with the scientific capability to help me.”

“What’s the problem?” He asked, still not opening the door. “…and how much more do you know?”

“My name is Dr. William. I work for Chem-X.” He said. “I have access to files on superpowered beings in the City of Heroes. I know what you have done, who you associate with, and what you are capable of. You are the best person to help me save the city.” The scientist groaned. “You may not be aware, but we are currently facing a crisis. The city Is beginning to become overrun by Zombies and monsters.”
Dr. William held up the files and papers he had.
“-And I am the only living soul who can engineer the cure. But I need your help to do it.”
@Runa

Silence.

He might hear a deadbolt unlocking, then the door opens. “Alright, But I can’d let you know where my lab is. It’s a liability, you understand.”

The scientist nodded, closing his eyes. “I’m ready when you are.” He said.

Runa took a makeshift blindfold and wrapped it around the guy’s eyes, then led him to the lab. He then removed the blindfold. “But keep in mind I’m working on another very important project as well, so my attention will be slightly divided.”

Dr. William nodded. “What is the ‘other project’?”

Runa points to Gridmaster in the containment unit behind them, in the middle bottom of the wall of projects.

The scientist studied Gridmaster for a moment. Then, he laid out the sheets of paper. “When I was working at Chem-X, I was put on a team assigned to develop a formula for a chemical agent capable of raising the dead. I knew that this wasn’t ethical, but kept my mouth shut for fear of losing my job. However, I secretly developed a formula for an antidote for the virus in my spare time, in the event that the experiments went wrong. And I was right.” Dr. William looked down at the sheets. “Upon the completion of our research, Chem-X released the virus into the building, killing nearly every lab worker who wasn’t prepared. Then, they…turned, and attacked me. I was the only one to escape. And now, I have come here to right my wrongs.” He said, concluding his story.

“How much progress have you made on the antidote?” He asked as he went back to work on the container, adding parts in and rewiring some other areas.

“I’ve already developed the formula, but I need to manufacture the serum and test it to see if it is successful.”

He nods. “I could do that part. Do you have the formula on you?” He said, hooking the mini-prison up to the generator, then going to the terminal in front of it to do some coding.

Dr. William nodded, pointing to the lab sheets and research papers he had brought with him. “Can you work with these?” He asked Runa.
@Runa

Runa walked over to the table and looked. “Yeah. I have a bit of equipment in here, but I need a second.” He walks back over to the terminal and continues programming.

"What are you programming?’ Dr. William asked.