About two weeks ago my computer was fragged by an unknown source. I sent it to be fixed by the manufacturer.
While waiting for it to return to me I started sleuthing for a source.
A massive cyber attack started in Hong Kong and has spread to 150 countries as of the report I found this morning. It has spread to be a worldwide issue however.
Now the purpose of this is not to tell everybody on these boards to panic but to put information out there. I have found several details that I would like to share with you all.
- It spreads through public networks like those at schools, wi fi cafes, and workplaces. Home networks should be safe.
- It damages your computer in a way that prevents it from being rebooted from the normal partition.
- If you back up your data in a separate physical object such as a flash drive or dedicated backup device it should be saved.
- I've only seen this virus infect computers so phones and other devices should be safe.
- There are several copycat viruses that are similar but not quite the same.
- Everything I have said may change as the creator upgrades the virus or as the copies get more advanced.
- While this virus is going through every antivirus out there the antiviruses will catch up in a matter of days. You need to protect your computer until then.