Makuta: The Mask Hoarder

#The FINAL POLLS have been posted! If anyone feels like supporting my MoC, you can check the poll out here and cast your vote!

So recently, I decided to dust off my good ol’ parts bins and actually sit down and make a MoC again. It’s been ages, so I’m even rustier than usual (which isn’t saying much because my overall MoCing quality is ehhh), so it was a fun challenge. That being said, I’m decently pleased with the end result.

The prompt for this MoC was BZPower’s “The Legend Continues” contest, which features MoCing, Writing, and Artwork divisions. I entered this particular creation, and since the polls are currently up, I’d greatly appreciate any support you guys would be willing to offer me.

https://i.imgur.com/XaNHrl4.jpg

Currently, that’s the only picture I’ve got; I was cramming for the deadline and only managed to snap one shot. I’ll take more soon and update this post.

The concept for this MoC was basically… regret. Because as funny as Ultimate Omega Makutar was, and as much as I had fun coming up with my convoluted backstory to give it some validity, I do wish that I had entered an actual Makuta model into LEGO’s official contest. Beyond that, though, I wish that I had put forth some more effort into participating in LEGO’s plethora of BIONICLE G2 contests while the theme was up and running. When I saw that BZPower was holding a contest and the prize was a G2 Art Book, I felt compelled to try my hand at it. Perhaps there’s a slim, minuscule, microscopic chance that I’ll walk away with an art book. Who knows?

It’s basically Makuta, represented in Titan form, as if that wasn’t obvious. He uses the “Mask Hoarder” name because I always thought it was an interesting title that LEGO referenced only once and then never used. So yeah, that’s about all. Please rip the MoC to shreds with crtique, kthanx? :stuck_out_tongue:

-Mesonak

93 Likes

10/10 Makuta’s gold again

love it.
and good lick in the contest!

4 Likes

That golden skull spider sure comes in handy. Love the way it looks. A Toa might underestimate him because of his more bulky appearance, but that would be their mistake.

Wish this could have been a Makuta set on shelves.

2 Likes

This great but he gives me more of a karzahni vibe

4 Likes

this has to be one of the most awesome makuta i’ve ever seen. Good luck in the contest

1 Like

This guy is actually pretty imposing! He has a lot of character. Nice job.

The torso shaping appears to be especially well done, plus I really like the mask.

Makuta you have a mask addiction

Well this Makuta sure likes hoarding…

But to be honest I really like the color scheme and the additions that you made to the mask.

Thank ya much! :smiley:

I know, right? I aim to honor the Golden Mask’s legacy by actually giving it a purpose in stuff. Its connection points are incredibly neat. [quote=“RogueToa, post:4, topic:37736, full:true”]
This great but he gives me more of a karzahni vibe
[/quote]

Interesting point… you’re kind of right. I didn’t really think about it, but he does have that kind of appearance. It’s probably the chain, which was, admittedly, a last-minute addition.[quote=“Wheatley, post:5, topic:37736, full:true”]
this has to be one of the most awesome makuta i’ve ever seen. Good luck in the contest
[/quote]

I really appreciate it! :smiley:[quote=“Sabretooth, post:6, topic:37736, full:true”]
This guy is actually pretty imposing! He has a lot of character. Nice job.
[/quote]

Thanks a bunch, personality was what I was going for. I can’t do crazy and impressive building techniques, but I CAN try to implement some character.[quote=“Rocka99, post:7, topic:37736, full:true”]
The torso shaping appears to be especially well done, plus I really like the mask.
[/quote]

:smiley: Thank you! The torso shaping is one thing that I’m definitely proud of. In hindsight, though, I regret using the gunmetal shoulder pieces rather than black ones to make up the torso armor.[quote=“L.O.S.S-KAL, post:8, topic:37736, full:true”]
Makuta you have a mask addiction
[/quote]

LOL yeah. He’s the Mask Hoarder! Gotta collect those discarded 2015 masks. The Toa are done with them, so why can’t Makuta have them? :stuck_out_tongue:

Much appreciated. :smiley:

All your comments make me quite happy with my lot in life, guys. Hopefully things work out for the contest.

-Mesonak

5 Likes

When see the title of Hoarder, this is what I kinda envisioned: a lumbering, plump, crude being. I like the amount of character those large, grubby hands give him, really working for someone so greedy and prideful. I can just envision this guy dawdling for another mask, the ricketing of that chain as he storms closer. It’s an interesting take on the character overall, one usually portrayed as a stout tactician.

1 Like

If only you posted this as an entry for the Makuta MOC contest…Anyway I see no reason why this cant win another contest.

Appart from the G2 Mata-Nui, yours form the 7 entries listed looks like it the most likely to win in that category (generally the best looking one thats for sure)…unless there are more than 7 entries.

Also a nice way to use that Gold Skull Spider mask that had no story relevants and make it story relevant through a “What if” MOC.

I think you deserve the book as much as Var did with his MOC.

He looks like the old hermit creep you find in the cave…who hen proseeds to turn you into radiation. Great moc

Awesome moc you got there, love the colur scheme!

it is a fantastic makuta, your MoCing quality is not “ehhh” thats so ever meso. so stop beating yourself down for a really good MoC

Well guys, I’ve made it to the Finals, alongside several others from TTV. If you enjoyed this MoC and would like to support me, head on over to the BZPower poll and send a vote my way! It’s massively appreciated. :smiley:

Yeah, I was trying to put a different spin on what people commonly associate Makuta with. I’m glad that it seems to have worked out alright. Thanks for the comment! :smiley:[quote=“TeslaEffect, post:12, topic:37736, full:true”]
If only you posted this as an entry for the Makuta MOC contest…Anyway I see no reason why this cant win another contest.

Appart from the G2 Mata-Nui, yours form the 7 entries listed looks like it the most likely to win in that category (generally the best looking one thats for sure)…unless there are more than 7 entries.

Also a nice way to use that Gold Skull Spider mask that had no story relevants and make it story relevant through a “What if” MOC.

I think you deserve the book as much as Var did with his MOC.
[/quote]

Thanks a ton, man. I definitely regret not entering this into the Makuta contest. I started building it way back during its run, but just got demotivated and gave up. Goes to show that perseverance can do wonders. I really appreciate the feedback![quote=“SonicBionicleMaster, post:13, topic:37736, full:true”]
He looks like the old hermit creep you find in the cave…who hen proseeds to turn you into radiation. Great moc
[/quote]

Many thanks! :slight_smile:[quote=“Tarkur_Toa_of_Revamps_v1, post:14, topic:37736, full:true”]
Awesome moc you got there, love the colur scheme!
[/quote]

Thank you! I definitely prefer the purple, black, and gold scheme to Makuta’s traditional colors of black and red. It’s way more visually interesting, to me at least.

That means a lot! It’s mainly because I MoC so rarely that I feel like a lot of my old skills have corroded away; this MoC, for instance, was in development ever since the Makuta contest, and I just gave up on it for a looong time. I’m glad that people are enjoying it, though; it gives me faith.

-Mesonak

5 Likes

It’s… It’s amazing.

I can’t think of anything bad about this MOC, it’s just amazing.
Specifically, I like the shape of the torso, it’s very menacing, along with the rest of the MOC. The mask is great as well.

I ran out of things to say about how amazing this MOC is.

Certainly an improvement from Ultimate Omega MaKutar/s

Great job on this love that mask and the over all shaping

Meso should take a selfy with the artbook, he should boast about his well deserved win and we want to see it.

That makes one of us. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks so much for the feedback!

I dunno man I think Makutar might still reign supreme as far as build quality is concerned, i dunnooooo

For real though, thanks for your comment![quote=“TeslaEffect, post:19, topic:37736, full:true”]
Meso should take a selfy with the artbook, he should boast about his well deserved win and we want to see it.
[/quote]

Selfie? Definitely. Boasting? Naaaah. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly though, I am immensely pleased that I won the contest and I’m very grateful to everybody who supported me throughout. First time I’ve ever won, let alone placed semi-highly, in any BIONICLE-related contest since I joined the fandom, so that’s pretty nice. If anybody wants to check out the art-book in person, consider coming to BrickFair Virginia! I’ll be bringing it for one of the public day, provided it’s not super huge and cumbersome.

-Mesonak

2 Likes