Mandarinfish moc and UV photography test

One thing I built and considered entering into the bio-cup. Got a strip of UV LED’s and wanted to see how well I could capture some flourescent elements. Te pictures look pretty good.

49 Likes

That’s an awesome use of lighting!

1 Like

Lighting is lit.

2 Likes

@UmbraManis @LTVmocs Thanks. The effect is nice. Super easy to do, too. The LED strip coil I used is so bright, it lights up flourescent mocs across the room. Anyone who wants to see how it’s done can just ask, and I’ll post it.

1 Like

I really enjoy the freakish nature of this.
The LED lights are sick as well.

1 Like

I want to see how it’s done.

1 Like

@AdamusTheFirst Thanks! The effect really sells it.

@Huichelaar Okay then, Give me a little bit to take some pictures. It’s pretty simple.

1 Like

Interesting moc. The trans pieces look really nice. The lighting makes it look like some sort of deep sea creature.

@ Morgy Thanks! Not too happy with the moc, but pretty happy with the UV light test.

@Huichelaar. Here’s my setup. I used a 12V UV LED strip. They come on spools like the one seen in the pictures. They are just wired up to a regular 12V wall adapter, along with a switch. If you’re like me, and only using the lights for an hour at a time, then it isn’t too important to have the exact amperage for the lights. Just make sure it won’t burn out the LED’s first. Most strips, you can cut, so test it out on a small portion first. There are also several calculators you can find to figure out the amperage needed.

I just taped the strip into a coil shape. Overall the setup is simple, but you may need some help soldering the connections.