Marvel Cinematic Universe

Which is even worse a crime.

GotG, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D… There’s a lot more about Krees, and we learn about them even more in this movie.

They aren’t the focus, but we got enough of them to feel how they are as characters. This may be an opinion, but I definitely didn’t feel robbed by them.

Did you not even watch the movie

We received a plethora of information about the Kree society. They are ruled by the Supreme Intelligence, forced to fear the Skrulls, have to keep in line with little emotions, do what is best for their people, and are not hesitant to sacrifice others.

Gee, that plot twist in Dark World was much better…?

What plot holes, though?

What I meant about sympathizing with the Kree is that the main character, who we assume is a good person (based on marketing and the fact that she is a superhero, simply put), leads the audience to assume they are the good guys.
It is literally as simple as “Blue guy good, green guy bad.” The main twist was simply “Green guy good, blue guy bad,” which isn’t crazy or anything, but it still keeps the story interesting. I never said good, my argument is only based on what is interesting. Anyone can argue about TLJ for as long as they want, but subverting expectations is one of the best ways to keep a story interesting, even if (and this is again my opinion) it is extremely overused, like in TLJ’s case. Interesting does not equal good, but the worst thing a movie can do is bore you.
I hope I was a little more clear there, so sorry about any confusion.
Additionally, yes I do agree the Dark Elves had a lot of potential, but it just wasn’t executed as well as I had hoped.

Another thing to think about is color, believe it or not. The Dark World is quite literally just a dark movie. Like, stuff is a bit too hard to see. Captain Marvel is also pretty drab in color, but the (small) diversity of alien races, the tesseract, and Carol’s powers all are somewhat visually appealing.
I gotta say though, and this may contradict what I just said, but the Dark World had a lot of red, and with red being one of my favorite colors, my eyes were a fan of that too, but not really much else was visually appealing, other than maybe the Dark Elf ships and vehicles.

The true question is, why am I arguing? Or is this discussing? I hope it’s discussing lol.

Eh…

They weren’t there.

Good joke.
Please describe Carol’s crew. Excluding her and Youngledore.

Please dewcribe me their societhy. Aside the fact that they are lead by an AI.

What plot twist?

You’ll see.

Please, we all knew that tge Krees will turned out to be at least controversial.

I liked it.

Ronan, a Kree, follows “the ancient ways of his people,” seeking to conquer for the “good of all Kree.” The modern Kree rebuke him, but they do not confront him, showing them as either secretly supportive or terrified of his power. They set up that ball, which Captain Marvel then finished upon with the larger view of this “ancient Kree way.”

Each one is very cautious and prepared, so it’s very clear that they are experienced when it comes to Skrulls. Minn-Erva can easily take a life, which should speak volumes for who she is. The bearded one is potentially the least serious of the four, which is a little nice to splash some color into the group of emotionless, wary soldiers. At-Lass probably gets the least amount of time, but he’s clearly practiced and knowledgeable about his situation. Korath is incredibly dedicated to his people, evident all the way to his alliance with Ronan.

But the point is, they’re secondary villains. We don’t need very much time getting to know them, just a few lines. The Black Order, some of my new favorite Marvel villains, really only give one enough time to really get a character out of him. What should be focused on is the main villain, who, admittedly, is a bit of a joke in this movie.

Again, I really liked Captain Marvel just for Talos and Fury, but there are some little jewels sprinkled throughout it that makes it a much more engaging movie than Dark World. Malekith honestly felt like one of these secondary villains, and Kurse I barely remember enough to judge.

I already did. They’re self-indulgent, loyal, influenced, and emotionless, terrified of a nearly nonexistent threat.

It was a joke, there isn’t one.

2 Likes

None of this is presented in this movie. They are just common speculations taken from tgeir appearance.

They are Carol’s crew. Her family. Instead of seeing any interactions between her and them, she kills tgem like they were worms.

Same, just speculation. Nothing is presented in the movie.

Not a terribly important point, but we never really got to know Thor’s little merry band either. In fact, we cared so little about them I bet most people barely noticed almost all of them died in Ragnarok.

And Thor never reacted to it either. So not to say that it brings one movie up ahead of the other, but side characters with no backstory and little fanfare aren’t exactly abnormal in Marvel movies.

However, at the very least, Captain Marvel gets away with having the sword dude from Guardians of the Galaxy being a former member of Carol’s team. That was at least a clever nod and we knew enough about that character to be like “Oh, hey, it’s that guy,” as opposed to Lady Sif and the three nobodies.

You can make the Kree argument against Asgard too, it’s one of the reasons why the much smaller, more closely bonded refugee Asgard is so much more interesting. I don’t think you should hold that argument as something Dark World has over Captain Marvel.

[spoiler]If you want my own opinion on which of the two is better, I have to say Captain Marvel. Not to say Captain Marvel is good, but I think if you compare the execution of both, Captain Marvel is competent but boring, while Dark World is offensively bland. It was the only Marvel movie I ever watched that I wanted to stop watching, and this was when it first came out mind you. It does a couple things right, I particularly like the ending where we get to see Loki pretending to be Odin, but he’s really the only good part of the movie. It’s also a shame that revelation had to come at the expense of yet another fake Loki death, but I suppose its just a trope of the character at this point.

Either way, everything about Dark World is bland, boring, very cookie-cutter, has no personality, and no emotion. The movie on the whole is so by-the-books that it’s offensive. Captain Marvel, while managing to have the least engaging protagonist of any Marvel film, at least has a good atmosphere, an interesting setting (that it ultimately doesn’t do anything with, but hey, it’s better than present day D.C. for your finale), and some form of a message to take away from it. It also has Samuel L. Jackson.[/spoiler]

It has nothing to do with their appearances, it has to do with their characters and their actions. The saying “show, don’t tell,” exists for a reason.

Nowhere does it suggest this. That’s all just speculation, like you said. The only one she really seemed to bond with was Yon-Rogg, and they blatantly said Minn-Erva avoided her. She didn’t even know if a Skrull had posed as Korath before, which seems like it would be a common topic.p in the middle of a war. Besides, Earth is her family, not these guys.

Yon-Rogg and Talos describe them as such, and the propaganda poster with a Skrull in the beginning speaks a thousand words.

I did… :cry:

1 Like

Which is a problem in their case too.

That’s true, but still they at least got more screen time and more visual development than the Krees.

He most likely did so off screen. Remember: they died while he was off world. When he returned he had to fight Hela, without having time to search for tgem. After he became king and flew away, he was almost immediately found by Thanos. Then IW happened. Then Endgame happened. Its not excluded to think that he still doesn’t know they are dead. Maybe he thought that they got snapped and, after the Blip, decides to leave with the Guardians beforehe could search for tgem.
Tho Sif is still alive and I hope she will show up in Love and Thunder.

They are not common either. The onlyother crew I can think off are Cap’s friends in his first movie, but they weren’t even meant to stay.

Although we never find out how he turned from his CM self to his GotG self. Not to mention that in this movie he has even less of a personality than he had in GotG. I moght be wrong, but I think he didn’t got any line.

Uhm… Other than the fact that he was black, robot and was part of tge now iconic “Who?” joke, we didn’t knew anything about him.

Never said you couldn’t. [quote=“PakariNation99, post:586, topic:44421”]
I don’t think you should hold that argument as something Dark World has over Captain Marvel
[/quote]

I did not. It was just an observation, one of my many problems with CM. Again, you’ll all see in about a week.

Dark World is sometimes boring and filler, but CM is tge only MCU movie that is angering me.

No? I don’t know, it might be just me, but their appearances are very stereotypical. [quote=“ToaNoah_Wafflemeister, post:587, topic:44421”]
it has to do with their characters and their actions
[/quote]

They barely had any screen time!

Now here is my turn to ask you: have you even seen the movie? How can you convince me that you know the personalities of background filler characters?

No. You’re right./s

So you accept that what you said is speculation.

Minerva == the other two

I am talking about brainwashed Carol not normal Carol.

Now, it didn’t.

Speculation at best. If it happened off-screen and was never talked about, then it might as well not have happened.

My point, ultimately, is that not reacting to the deaths of people fighting alongside you isn’t a major factor in Carol’s story. You can probably lump the deaths of Thor’s friends in with his grief at having lost everything, but they’re never mentioned specifically, and since they were such minor characters it isn’t important anyways. Same can be said of the Kree soldiers in Carol’s unit. The fact of the matter is, they’re minor characters, minor antagonists specifically.

What should be complained about is the lack of characterization in Danvers herself, not in what amounts to some side characters.

Neither were Carol’s team, especially since they ended up being the villains.

It’s okay, and good, to give side characters some background and characterize them. The side characters in Wonder Woman are a good example of this, and so is someone like Bucky in The First Avenger. But that’s because those people play an important role in the story. Carol’s team doesn’t. Captain Marvel is about the fundamental differences in ideology between her and Jude Law.

Again, not the point of the movie. It isn’t really Captain Marvel’s place to do so. I agree with your point that he probably has less personality in CM than GotG, but the inclusion of him still lets us know more about his relationship with other Kree like Ronan.

And he did have lines, but most of it amounted to battle chatter. It’s not like he was important in GotG, though, let’s not forget he died in that movie.

Perhaps this would be a more forward discussion if you told us more about what you like as well as dislike about Dark World instead of triggering people by just saying you think it’s better than CM. :laughing:

I feel like a lot of my points have been kinda scrambled, so let me consolidate my opinion here:

CM and DW share a lot of the same problems, bland characters being the more obvious.

I think Carol in CM is definitely more boring than Thor in DW just because Thor was always a mainstay and we knew more about him from Thor and Avengers.

DW has a worse villain because Malekith was a big, grey alien who wanted to destroy the Earth and gain power and all the cliche, boring, standard villain stuff. Jude Law’s character (yes, I forget his name, never said he was a good villain, just better than Malekith) has the one up on the Dark Elf because he has somewhat of a personality (manipulative, deceitful, and abusive), though if you think about it enough he shares a very similar motivation to Malekith. He’s also Jude Law, a much more recognized and beloved actor.

1 Like

True.

She doesn’t have to react to people she worked along side to, she has to react to her killing tge people tgat she worked along with, who were most likely her friends, or at the very least her associates.

I mean, all of tgem played a higher role in the comics.

Was it hard to give him a couple of lines?

Youngledore.

Well, I believe the point is that they’re her enemies now. She was brainwashed and used from the start, so no matter what time she spent with them I don’t think Carol (who comes off as kind of impulsive and belligerent) would show much remorse or mercy to people who have manipulated her and now want to harm her friends.

At least Malekith has a better name.

That now tho

It was a jokr. I heard him named like that in a vudeo, and I just cannot forget it.
Like young, Dumbledore, Youngledore.

######I think it still shows how relatively unimportant he and CM are considering I genuinely believed that could have been his name.

1 Like

Would’ve been nice to have gotten villain skrull. There’s technically potential for it, but with the political statements Disney was seemingly going for with Captain Marvel, I doubt it

1 Like

I’m thinking Captain Marvel 2 could introduce someone on the same power-scale as Danvers, probably Moonstone, which could be really cool to watch. Meanwhile, Skrulls could easily be saved for an Avengers movie.

3 Likes

i’ve been watching these movies in theaters since iron man came out when i was in 5th grade. i’ve loved every single one (even the mediocre ones), but i feel like after endgame, i’m at a spot where i’m okay with missing a few. i’ll probably stay posted on spider-man, i love anything taika does so i’ll check out thor, and i’m looking forward to doctor strange 2 and blade, but the rest of them… i might skip them. it’s been a wild ride.

I feel the same way. I didn’t see every single film in the Infinity Saga in theaters, but Endgame does have that “end-of-an-era” feel to it, with Far From Home acting as a nice little epilogue. I think there’s a good chance that I’ll still see most of the upcoming films (they are, after all, among the only things I find interesting at the movies nowadays, aside from Star Wars and other franchises), but I’m okay with not going to the actual theater as much, and waiting to read reviews and purchase/stream the films after they are released.

Saw far from home yesterday. Loved it

the illusion scenes were great, JK Simmons was awesome, and the secret identity reveal was totally unexpected

2 Likes

TBH, that’s more the fault of the higher-ups at Marvel Studios for hyping her up excessively. Kevin Feige was adamant about stating that Captain Marvel is the “strongest Avenger” and that she would be leading the team post-Endgame, but the Russo Brothers understood that you can’t really give her the same role in this film as everyone else, for a few reasons:

Firstly, she’s too powerful. If she was involved in the entire film, facing villains lesser than Thanos, it would make almost no sense for any conflict in the movie to end in defeat. In addition, her presence could have also screwed up the Time Heist, as she wasn’t around at the times the Avengers traveled to.

Secondly, this is a movie about the original six Avengers, primarily. Even other characters who joined them, like Rhodey, Ant-Man, etc., took a bit of a back seat. Captain Marvel has only been in one film thus far, so it seems strange that she should be given a larger role than the established heroes of the MCU, and I’m sure many fans would’ve felt that the originals were cheated if she had been constantly saving the day.

Overall, I think Marvel jumped the gun with their excessive promotion of Captain Marvel. Perhaps they felt that they needed to push her because her character is not as popular in the comics, but the way they did it made her prominence seem forced, as if they were trying to exert her over the original heroes without finishing their stories first. It’s not Captain Marvel’s fault as a character or a film, but the Studio did make her entrance feel a bit intrusive, whereas other heroes who ended up playing large roles, like Dr. Strange, were introduced more organically. Even Spider-Man, Marvel’s most popular hero, wasn’t made out to be the most important aspect of Civil War, so his appearance felt much less invasive than Captain Marvel’s did.

6 Likes

That’s so extremely well-said, I think you hit the nail on the head.

1 Like