Mass Effect Discussion

Yeah, playing ME1 before ME2 is kind of necessary in some regards, especially if you didn’t do the genesis comic.

I will warn you: ME1 is a lot clunkier in regards to combat, but it’s got a lot more world to it.
And there’re some really nice callbacks and pay offs in ME3 if you decide to be a completionist and do every side mission.

Also, the DLCs are completely worth their prices.

Vuhii, like me and John said you gotta play 1

Pay off in ME3 for all the things you did in the past games…

2 Likes

Gags jokes and the whole Chekov’s Arsenal that was Conrad Verner’s conclusion mission.

That was really the only thing I meant with that, but I was trying not to spoil it.

so I uh, found something

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw this the other day.

I liked what I was reading as well, right up until I saw the Andromeda Galaxy part.

The fact it relegates the Shepard Trilogy to ‘A long time ago in a glaxy far, far away,’ quite literally and is thus also a cop out for the Ending debacle, there’s no way Bioware can justify being able to get to Andromeda in-setting with how they’ve set Mass Effect Drives up.

Hopefully, that part is just trolling on Bioware’s part, but everything else sounds pretty good.
Not sure how I feel about crafting in a Mass Effect game though.
It fits Dragon Age, but not so much Mass Effect.
Researching upgrades is one thing, along with buying equipment, but the crafting system works better in Dragon Age to my mind.

Interesting how Caro is just identified as a Biotic rather than by species.
Here’s hoping she turns out to be Bioware’s way of saying sorry for introducing Nyreen and then killing her off literally three missions later.

1 Like

agreed

eh, crafting could be cool, we just have to wait and see

yeah I liked Nyreen for the 2 hours I knew her, she was cool

1 Like

They should have just ended it with ME3 and ended it in a much better light than what we got.

I like the angle they’re taking, moving away from Shepard, personally.

It looks like Mass Effect is starting to get the Dragon Age treatment, to an extent.
As long as this doesn’t wind up as the Mass Effect equivalent of Dragon Age 2 with recycled assets, it ought to be good.

World building and story expansion are never bad things.

I mean, look at Lord of the Rings.

3 Likes

^ This.

That’s why I loved gen1 Bionicle so much.

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with moving the setting to the Andromeda Galaxy, assuming they explain how you get there well enough. They’re obviously not willing to mess with the ME3 ending, and the endings were so divergent that it would be way too expensive to make a game that that changes completely based on which ending you chose. Moving the setting to a different galaxy means they can reference whichever ending you chose without having to essentially make three different games. Note that I don’t mean to condone ME3’s ending at all; of course it was awful. I’m just trying to look at this from a practical standpoint.

2 Likes

Okay, first of all:
Intergalactic travel is stupidly difficult with how Bioware has established FTL to work in Mass Effect because of the core discharge issue.

And secondly, making the next game turn ME3 into quite literally ‘A long time ago in a galaxy far far away,’ is a cheap cop-out.

And knowing Bioware, they’d make Destroy the canon ending, or make a Mass Effect version of the Dragon Age Keep, which with how the new Mass Effect is going to be next gen only,they’ll likely have to do if they’re going to have previous decisions factor in.

Either that or we’ll get a Trilogy bundle for the new consoles.

2 Likes

Mass Effect is by far my favourite video-game series ever. I loved the world-building, exploration, and story of the first game. The second game saw that, and raised it some good gameplay, streamlined story, and amazing characters and relationships between them. Mass Effect 3 upped the ante by raising the stakes, and adding a substantial amount of tension, drama, and grandiosity the franchise.
Tali and Garrus were the best characters, both having been with you for all three games and having some of the most well-written and fleshed out dialogue.
As for this new installment, I’d be lying if I said I’m not balls to the wall excited about it. It’s setting is a cheap copout of ME3’s ending, but I’m willing to accept it if I get a good Mass Effect game. Everything I’ve heard about it up until now has done nothing but rile me up for the game, and although my expectations are low, my hopes are high.
Mass Effect is a brilliant game franchise, and I welcome the newest addition to the series with open arms, so long as it means I get a brilliant story, good dialogue, exciting action, and meaningful relationships with my crew-members.

2 Likes

yus

just remember, don’t pre order

1 Like

Oh man, I forgot you replied. My bad!

I’ll take your word for it, but it seems to me it would be fairly easy to put some technobabble in the Codex that explains some technological leap that’s occurred since the last game that make intergalactic travel possible. Or maybe I just don’t know what I’m talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh, at this point, I’m just glad they’re getting away from the mess they created. And I don’t really see another good way forward without canonizing one particular ending. It’s not like Dragon Age–you’re choices never fundamentally alter the nature of existence in those games (well, at least not in the first two–I haven’t played Inquisition yet, so maybe there’s some huge decision in that of which I’m unaware.) Forcing one ending down players’ throats would just reopen old wounds, methinks. But honestly, I think the bottom line is that the next game needs to have a good story and characters. If they succeed on those counts, I’ll forgive them of a lot of questionable decisions they may make.

3 Likes

Destroy was the only ending that really made any sense.

It’s the only one that deserves to be made canon.

2 Likes

I completely agree, but I guarantee you, people will pop out of the woodwork to defend the other endings if it’s declared to be the only canon one. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

^^ I agree with this

the other ones I feel are immoral, especially synthesize

3 Likes

never

Yeah like, who gave you the right to fuse every organic and synthetic being together without their consent? People are going to look at the Husks of their friends and family, and that’s just going to open up a whole new can of worms.

Control was alright. You become a space-god. You also control the husks, so there’s that.

Both endings are terrible in concept, but they go against Mass Effect’s fundamental theme, and Shepards character. Throughout the series, Shepard has been going against the odds, never accepting anybodies answer, and always ends up saving the day. He never settles for any unfavorable pre-determined outcomes and does what’s best for humanity, and the galaxy.

However, in both the green and blue endings, he goes completely against those virtues. Not to mention how both of those answers are ones proposed by main antagonists throughout the trilogy. Synthesize is Saren, and Control is TIM.
When you consider all of the above, Destroy seems ideal, right? But then you’d be shutting down all the geth, a race one of your companions sacrificed himself for, and one you saved.

I get what they were going for, that there’s no one best ending and that you have to make do with reality. But that has never been Mass Effect, and that’s why all three endings were bollocks and why you should go download the MEHEM mod.

2 Likes

There’s also the two points that Synthesis doesn’t do away with the governing AI of the the Reapers and Control virtually turns Shepard into the Catalyst AI.

Besides, there’s a conversation with Garrus around the midpoint of Act I that sums up the Destroy Ending: Humans want to save everyone, but that’s not happening in this war.

That and there’s also the point that the Catalyst is likely lying through it’s holographic teeth about the Crucible destroying all Synthetic life.

It also said it’d kill Shepard and look at the post-credit for the Destroy ending: Shepard takes a breath.

The Catalyst was wrong about that and it’s just as likely the Crucible just targeted Reaper-specific coding, so it’s possible that the Geth and EDI are just dormant.

That and there’re other points where the game gives excellent justification for Destroy.

Bottom line?

Control and Synthesis can suck it. Destroy all the way.

3 Likes