Matoran Ideas [Characters][Art]

I’ve always thought of this as more of a background element rather than a foreground element. Mainly something mentioned or eluded to in passing.

Have a nice trip!

i’ve been working on some mask designs for a while now but I just can’t make maku’s huna look good. I’m also working on Mavrah, Dekar and Velika who should be done later today or tomorrow.

2 Likes

Which is kinda why I feel it’s not really needed.

True, but it adds some flavoring to it. It’s kinda like adding salt to a dish. You don’t need to add it, but it makes the dish taste better.

To look back at G1, there were various background elements and characters that were not fully explored. But it’s that ambiguity that made them interesting. We didn’t need them for the narrative, but the existence of characters should not be dependent on a narrative in the first place.

Good storytelling has a background and ambiguous lore that doesn’t necessarily need to be explored, but is available to those who want to explore.

Another reason to have extra characters is to sell new sets (in the unlikely hypothetical scenario in which LEGO says “yes” to all this).

P.S.: How was your trip?

P.P.S: This is from way back, but apparently Idris is a man’s name. Welsh for “ardent lord”. Real life example: Idris Elba.

You have a point, I just think, as I’ve said before, that Mavrah would just be a bit redundant. It would be too much of a detour, that wouldn’t really mean anything in the long run.
I don’t know, I guess it doesn’t matter either way, but in the end, I would prefer “Mavrah” to be used as Nuparu’s codename.

It was very good.

:thinking:

(Just a random side note, but I saw Moana yesterday, and realized my pitch for Hahli is basically the character Moana. )

1 Like

I’m back and introducing

the son of Garan (sorry for being a bit late with this)

I’m still not sure what to do with mavrah.

P.s. *whispers: i need help with designing huna

5 Likes

I can see you’re definitely improving since you started. Good work :smiley:!

For the Huna: You could try a design for the both the Great and Noble Huna, and then anyone who sees it could help from there. Just to see what you’re working with.

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s really hard to compare gar to the first nuparu.

Working on it :+1:

Hahli redesign coming soon

Edit:
Hahli redesign

And introducing

The third temple guard, Garan’s friend and Nuparu’s mother.

5 Likes
  1. Hahli looks really good with this color scheme!
  2. I like Runa’s design, and I like how you gave her that new mask as well!
  3. What’s that new mask? I like it, but I don’t recognize it.
2 Likes

It’s G3’s Kaukau, the same mask Gali has. Maybe you don’t recognize it because of Noupix’s art style, but its that mask.

2 Likes

Huh, didn’t notice that. Had to look at the canon designs for the Toa. My bad.

2 Likes

@Bokarda thank you. I wasn’t to fond of the previous hahli design, mainly because of the bright green and her mask was just weird so I gave her the canon kaukau.

1. Can some masks be gender exclusive? Take the kaukau and Garan’s ruru for example.
  2. Is it ok if all temple/royal/elite guards use the same armor templates but with different masks and the color schemes of their region?
  3. I’ll need some names for the other 15 guards.
  4. I’ll make a topic that will go more in depth regarding the guards.
2 Likes
  1. I don’t necessarily think they should be gender exclusive. It could be argued that some masks are predominantly worn by either male or female, with some exceptions (for example, most Pakari wearers are male, but Nuparu would be an uncommon factor).
  2. I don’t see any problem with that. When you say this, do you mean (for example) that all Tiroan Temple Guards would wear the same mask?
  3. That can be saved until 4 happens.
  4. Sounds good :slight_smile:!
2 Likes

The elite guards of Motara need names

(commander Dune)Optimistic and kind but knows that only the three of them can’t save everybodyShort temper,
wants to stop all crime in motara, Dekar killed her family Confused most of the time because he would always caught between the arguments of the other two

8 Likes

I found a list of confirmed G1 Po-Matoran and their jobs and masks (may/may not be including those already mentioned in this topic, correct me when applicable)

Ally (guard, noble Ruru)
Bour (brick-layer, Akaku)
Epena (quarry-master, Pakari)
Gadjati (hewer, noble Rau)
Golyo (Mahi herder, Miru)
Kamen (Stonemason, noble Mahiki)
Kivi (hewer, Kaukau)
Pekka (carpenter, Hau)
Piatra (guard, noble Matatu)
Podu (?, ?)
Kodan (chronicler/cartographer, ?)

Bour/Kodan? and Ally/Piatra could be two of the three guards, and maybe Podu could be the third?

3 Likes

I really like the names Pekka (2nd) and Kodan (3rd). Is Dune ok for the commander?

Ihu batch coming soon

4 Likes

Entirely up to you about the names :slight_smile:.

Can’t wait!

1 Like

Ihu royal guard batch is finished.

I didn’t have much time to think of their personalities or backstories, so that’s all up to you. The only thing that I have thought of is that they had all been there for the vako invasion (and survived).

Naho next

6 Likes

I really like the designs for these Matoran (especially the markings on 3), but I do have a criticism regarding the color scheme. One of the blues you’ve used looks too dark for Ihuans and looks too similar to Nahoan colors. Maybe various shades of grey would be better, to help distinguish who is what?

That being said, the first could be Toudo (acting as a trap-setter), the second could be Kylma (an experienced recruit), and the third could be Mazeka (who becomes a hero).

P.S.: @Gresh113: Could you edit Reysa to also be Onua’s wife (according to @DarkMaestro’s Bereavement)?

2 Likes

Thanks and I like the names. I also appreciate the criticism, but on the point of the color scheme, my source material was Var’s drawing of kopaka and two ihuans (i can’t upload it for some reason). Fun fact, I am experiencing some problems with this blue on nahoans as I’m drawing them.

2 Likes