Meet the Toa Nalduk!

My childhood dream was to have a full team of OC toa. As of today, mission accomplished! Only took until I was 26.

The Gang’s All Here! Now, one by one:

Starting with Kapann, Toa Nalduk of Water: she remained faithful to the Brotherhood of Makuta long after many other Toa, as her home island of Distal’s remote location meant much of its knowledge of the rest of the world came via its Makuta.

Learning the truth almost destroyed Kapann: she took great pride in the fact that many Toa she had trained in the past had been hand-picked for Hagah teams, and was devastated to realise that were it not for her training and encouragement they likely never would have become Toa Hagah and thus would not have been slaughtered wholesale by the Brotherhood.

Despite all she’s been through-- the loss of her team, her hand, her eye and her foot, her Kanohi Kaukau being broken and reforged, Kapann never for a moment swayed from the Toa Code. For a long time, it was all she had left.

Godesgai, Toa Nalduk of Fire, is the newest member of the team. He toiled for untold centuries in the realm of Karzanhi, losing his mask, his hands, and all sense of identity before escaping and being carried by the ocean currents to Distal, where he was taken in by an enclave of fellow escapees settled on the eastern shore. Some time after becoming a Toa, his Kanohi Huna was cracked: its powers became permanently active, but no longer worked on anything but the mask itself. Around the same time he lost his original Toa Tool, a broadsword, and replaced it with a Rahkshi staff of fear, reverse-engineered by a brilliant Vortixx inventor: its effects reversed and amplified, Godesgai’s new tool is capable of instilling great courage in those around him.

No longer connected to his original element, he considers himself to be Toa of The People more so than anything else.

Verdian, Toa of Plantlife, is mouthy and prone to showing off. His twin boomerangs can also be used as claws or machetes, although he prefers to use his Kanohi Kualsi to rapidly teleport from clearing to clearing on Distal’s jungle plateau, leaving the plants around him undisturbed. He often fears that his connection to his element is weaker than that of his teammates.

Farrix, Toa of Ice, has a reputation of being quick to anger but quick to forgive: there are rumours that she has a little Hordika in her, although nobody has dared ask her this to her face. She patrols Distal’s frozen tundra (which, unbeknownst to her, is caused by a leaking coolant pipe in the Great Spirit Robot damaged during the Great Cataclysm.

Although she wears the mask of rahi control, she had it reforged in the image of the noble Akaku worn by one of Distal’s former Turaga of Water after her death to honour her sacrifice. She spends far more time in the company of rahi than anyone else, believing the best way to keep them from causing trouble for the Matoran under her guard is to solve their problems directly and keep them placated.

(to anyone Asking Questions about her pronouns: love may not be canon, but gender is. Farrix is trans, because there’s always a way to Make Things Queer.)

Laris, Toa of Iron, views himself as a protector far more than anything else, using his shield more often than his mace and his words more often than either. Distal’s small Fe-Matoran village is on the southern coast, and works closely with the island’s Ga-Matoran to run an undersea mining operation on a vast subaquatic cliff. (Unknown to them, they’re basically picking cosmic debris out of the shoe tread of the Great Spirit Robot.) He’s often found with his toa-brother Bult, as their domains and villages are very much adjacent. He wears a Kanohi Hau, passed down to him from a past Toa of Iron who left the Toa Distal for a Hagah team.

Finally, we have Bult, Toa of Magnetism (and one of the team’s mandatory two hunchbacks, along with Verdian). Pensive and often slow to act, Bult is often found helping the peoples of Distal with construction projects of one kind or another, bending metal joists into place with magnetic fields of overwhelming power. His connection to his element is among the strongest Kapann has seen, and until learning of the Makuta’s betrayal fully expected him to be headhunted for one Hagah team or another. Bult wears a Kanohi Rode, and expects those around him to be as honest as he is.

27 Likes

It’s great that you gave the Toa team a consistent look in the style of most teams. Wouldn’t really be something to praise for individually posted MOCs, but since your intent was to make a whole team it makes sense. The main issue I have with the frame is in the exposed technic bits on the upper torso, they’re the only really square part of the build.

I did the leg design

@hawkflight thanks! I’ve had the first couple members built for months now, but I’ve held off on posting until I’ve all 6 done for precisely that reason-- no sense posting 6 near-identical builds separately.

@toa_radrix these legs have proven super useful, even outside of this team. The thigh is my new go-to (you can see on Farrix just how much of a knee bend it allows for) and has already ended up on a few builds, and I ended up reusing the entire legs (albeit with a set of custom feet) for my take on Toa Orde.

Although y’all will have to wait until his round of the canon contest to see how he turned out. :wink:

I love how the second one is literally just Toa Good Guy and it’s great

4 Likes

Can a species that has no biological sex really be trans? Or are they all trans because they have no sex? These are the things that keep philosophers up at night.

1 Like

@SirKeksalot They have a concept of gender, therefore it’s entirely possible to Trans That Gender.

2 Likes

the Matoran/Toa concept of gender is purely psychological, though. The most one could do would be to change one’s preferred pronouns.