Meso's AMA

I’ve just recently discovered the wonders of Roadhog, do you have any tips for a new player?

What music do you like?
And also, favorite kanohi?

I’m a real troll, if that counts

Age requirement would likely be 18 years old. We’ve been known to make exceptions but it’s for very specific case-by-case circumstances. Other than that, a good quality microphone, a powerful computer capable of rendering videos, a large interest in LEGO System, and a charismatic personality couldn’t hurt your chances. That being said, I don’t forsee us doing a casting call (for a podcast host) anytime soon.

We saw the movie so that’s obviously my favorite G1 related thing by default. Aside from that, I really liked the Dark Awakening episode from Season 3. It was quite poignant.

I don’t consider myself an expert, but since you asked…

1. Distance matters
2. Go after weaker units
3. Never hook another Roadhog first
4. Scrap Gun’s long-range fire is your secret weapon
5. SELF-HEALING FOR LIFE

I’ll break them down.

1. When I say that distance matters, I’m referring to the fact that you deal more damage with your scrap gun the closer you are to an enemy. They recently changed how close enemies get pulled into Roadhog’s hook, necessitating that you walk forward while they’re being pulled in with the hook in order to deliver maximum damage with the following shot. Otherwise, you’ll still deal a hefty chunk of damage, but not as much as you would otherwise.

2. Roadhog works best, from my experience, as a tactical flanker. If you can just navigate to the side of an ongoing conflict and hook weaker support or offense units while they’re otherwise engaged, you can take them out of the fight quickly and then sneak back off into the shadows to heal up and rejoin your friends. The hook has the power to surprise enemies and a lot of weaker units can die instantly from a hook+scrap gun combo done right. The same is often true for ult usage; some of my best moments involve sneaking behind a group of enemies that my teammates are fighting, popping Whole Hog, and then bombarding the enemies forward directly into my team’s offensive. As can be seen during the brief gameplay clip (starting at 02:08) in TTV Podcast #248, I often play him differently than some would, roaming around and picking off stragglers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s where a lot of my fun comes from. Otherwise, I just stay behind Eljay’s Reinhardt shield and wreak havoc.

3. When fighting enemy Roadhogs, you must resist the temptation to hook them first. This will, 9 times out of 10, end in your death because the enemy will be able to follow up your hook with a short-range combo that will devastate your health. It’s just because of how animation frames work. Instead, wait to get hooked by them, then shoot them, hook them, and shoot them again now that you’re in closer range. This will allow you to deal much more damage quickly.

4. While Roadhog’s primary attack and hook combo is his bread and butter, the secondary fire of his Scrap Gun can deal some monstrous damage and should always be used as suppresive fire in long-distance encounters. You’d be surprised at what you’d be able to take down with it, especially since they recently buffed its damage.

5. It should go without saying, but Roadhog’s greatest strength is his self-healing factor. Use it whenever possible, but avoid using it in the midst of a battle or within range of enemy bullets. The reason for this is that Roadhog’s greatest strength is also his greatest weakness; in Overwatch, Ultimate abilities charge by damage dealt. Roadhog has an incredibly high health pool, so he’s a very useful “Ult farm” for people to get charged quickly from. If you aren’t careful with your healing, enemies can burn right through your regained health mid-healing animation, scoring free ult charge off of you and inevitably murdering you if they play their cards right. Always be on the move. and be ready to duck into a side room, behind a wall, or around a corner to heal up when necessary.

I don’t really have music preferences; I like pretty much every genre to some degree aside from hardcore death metal, and I’ve been known to listen to a wide variety of stuff.

Favorite Kanohi… hmm. Tough to say. The Kraahkan’s an old, solid classic, so I’ll go with that one. Love it’s design.

-Mesonak

5 Likes

Thanks man I think that’ll help! I’ve noticed that he’s good for stopping flanking characters when you’re defending, and while I may not get a lot of play of the games, I still feel that picking off enemies and staying alive really helps the team out.

Definitely, Roadhog can shut down flanking characters for sure. It sounds like you’ve got the right idea, so keep up the good work!

-Mesonak

3 Likes

What do you think of my portrait trash, like, say, this one?

Also, would you be alright for the Eljay/Meso comic to return?

9 Likes

Closing this topic due to our new format. Please direct all new questions to the TTV Ask forum! Thanks!