Mobile Suit Gundam and all related works

So I just finished watching Reco in G. It has to be the definitive worst Gundam show created. And, for many good reasons. The designs are ugly. The only ones i had any interest in were the G Self itself, and the G Lucifer. The animation was inconsistent and choppy looking. The story was the worst part of the whole thing though. It was so overly complex that it was hard keeping up with the whole thing. It gave me a headache the more and more I watched. This was the first Gundam series I genuinely didn’t enjoy. Even series like Unicorn, which I found boring, Though I liked the designs, this series had no redeemable traits.

3 Likes

Dem space elevators really needed dat high-end CGI for intense dynamics amirite

that’s an understatement

1 Like

why this show was created, i don’t even know

turn a gundam was a fine end to the uc, which i loved

not to mention one of the suits in this show has the same destructive power the turn a had, but isnt used

2 Likes

I highly disagree with this entire statement.

G Reco is far from the worst series in the Gundam franchise. The fact that it has theming and a focused narrative already puts it ahead of the low tier creations, like Gundam Wing.

Design’s being ugly is definitely a highly subjective area. I loved all of the designs for how creative they were, definitely used a different style as opposed to the contemporary Gundam formula.

Animation being inconsistent is a legitimate complaint, but I have to say it’s minor since the actual aesthetic and color pallet give it a much more unique appearance than the most recent IBO. If I had to compare the two, I would much rather have GReco because it’s animation has actual direction and cinematography as opposed to IBO that is mostly shot-reverse-shot with the occasional pan-in. There is more art and soul in Greco’s direction.

And honestly, it’s plainly obvious that nuance and subtle storytelling is not your taste. If you can honestly say that Unicorn was “boring” than I can’t take your criticisms of the show seriously in the slightest.

The redeemable traits are clear: the show deals with the theme of a single mindset affecting a people (in this situation a religion and an old culture affecting the current state of diplomacy over a resource). The narrative expects you to keep multiple plot threads in mind as well as prior knowledge of UC and how the aftereffects of that calendar are still effecting the Reguild Century today.

I find GReco to be highly underappreciated because of how much it expects of its viewer. It doesn’t hand hold, it is highly dense and fast paced with many details that in some cases requires a rewatch. Sure this isn’t great in terms of it being a weekly television show, but as a work of art? It has many merits. Almost like Dark Souls.

1 Like

Coming from someone who has no context for any of this

You may want to tone down the condescension there, regardless or whether or not you’re right.

1 Like

Except, y’know, for the fact that it wasn’t focused. How many things happened in the first episode alone?

You have a group of military soldiers from a faction with no clear goal.

You have a girl who can do nothing but cry and scream “G.”

You have a brief shot of what appears to be a religious ceremony?

You have pirates who are attacking for some reason that doesn’t seem to go beyond pillaging.

This isn’t focused. It’s a mess.

I’m not sure if “prettier animation” equates to touching someone on a spiritual level…

The animation was fine. Not great, but it was alright. I don’t see how it functions on any level beyond “giant robot anime animation,” however. I think Origin’s animation is beautiful, but that has nothing to do with whether I think it has “soul” in how it’s directed.

Point being, I don’t see what extra meaning there is to be found in giant Japanese robot animation :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, for the record, saying something along the lines of “I have greater appreciation for deeper story than you” isn’t going to go very far. Something without exposition isn’t subtle, it’s just badly done. If the average person fails to understand something, then it shouldn’t be marketed towards the average person.

Keep in mind, Gundam isn’t marketed towards a very particularly sophisticated audience. It’s marketed to a lot of people, including young children, teens, nerds in a basement, and that one guy who’s friend recommended him a show he’s never heard of. If it can’t somehow appeal to most of these, then it’s not reaching the audience it’s intended to. Don’t make it sound like it’s supposed to be more than it actually is.

I’d like you to explain to me why almost everyone I’ve met who enjoys Unicorn (which is quite a few people) has only ever really regarded it good for the suit designs. I find it a little hard to believe that only a select group of people out of the many who enjoy it find the “true meaning” of the show.

Not to mention, you fail to actually explain any way as to how the subtle elements help the show. Just saying they’re there doesn’t do anything.

If you can’t explain why they realistically make the show really that much better than without them, then there’s no argument to be had.

Except

You know

It IS a weekly television show. That’s what it’s intended to be. It’s not supposed to be some deep level of art, no Gundam series really is supposed to. It’s a TV show that is designed to be on a screen once a week so whoever’s watching can enjoy it.

Here’s the thing, you’re regarding it as artwork. It’s a Gundam series. A weekly robot anime. Regardless of whether it is art or not is irrelevant. If it can’t be a good weekly television show, it’s failed as it’s core purpose.

4 Likes

Wing is one of like 5 Gundam series I have not yet seen, so I can’t judge it for anything.

Yes, that is true, considering it is personal taste. however, a majority of my liking were not to my liking and I guess I’m just more used to “traditional” designs/[quote=“Sou_Bu, post:190, topic:13270”]
Animation being inconsistent is a legitimate complaint, but I have to say it’s minor since the actual aesthetic and color pallet give it a much more unique appearance than the most recent IBO.
[/quote]

Being unique does not make things good though. I did not like the aesthetic. IBO I liked more because it at least had a story I could follow. Not, it’s not that I’m dumb or anything, I just couldn’t follow it, and this is coming from someone who has seen 350 anime.

yorp[quote=“Sou_Bu, post:190, topic:13270”]
If you can honestly say that Unicorn was “boring” than I can’t take your criticisms of the show seriously in the slightest.
[/quote]

Unicorn was bad in my opinion because it was mostly something that spent time talking when it could have been doing something else. The only thing I can really give it is that it happened to better bridge between CCA and F91. Explain why you like Unicorn?

Yes, but the moral of the story wasn’t clear with 50-something other things going on at once.

Turn A Gundam is my favorite series. It handled this much better, with things like the Dark History.[quote=“Sou_Bu, post:190, topic:13270”]
I find GReco to be highly underappreciated because of how much it expects of its viewer. It doesn’t hand hold, it is highly dense and fast paced with many details that in some cases requires a rewatch. Sure this isn’t great in terms of it being a weekly television show, but as a work of art? It has many merits.
[/quote]

Except this isn’t what I expect of Gundam at this point. Most shows are the weekly anime, but I enjoy that. Now, I DO enjoy complex stories, but G in Reco’s story was weak and not one that I’d invest my time in, whilst there are much better Gundam series.[quote=“Joe, post:192, topic:13270”]
Except, y’know, for the fact that it wasn’t focused
[/quote]

Yeah like, this show could have benifitted from more episodes. If it was more than 25, they could have slown down the pacing and not overlap the arcs as much as they did. Gundam uses an excellent 26 x 2/50 episode formula which i feel works perfectly, and this show partially failed because of it.[quote=“Joe, post:192, topic:13270”]
You have a group of military soldiers from a faction with no clear goal.

You have a girl who can do nothing but cry and scream “G.”

You have a brief shot of what appears to be a religious ceremony?

You have pirates who are attacking for some reason that doesn’t seem to go beyond pillaging.
[/quote]

They try to explain these things, but it gets even more convoluted as they go.[quote=“Joe, post:192, topic:13270”]
Something without exposition isn’t subtle, it’s just badly done
[/quote]
This show not only has no exposition, it has no beginning middle or end.

i wonder who you could be talking about B)

I feel that in this show, I DID pay attention. Usually I listen to music whilest watching anime but I shut it off for this show because I needed to focus on it. I couldn’t find any subtle elements.

This. It’s Gundam. Gundam is supposed to be

uh

how do i put this

oh yeah

fun

unlike this show

2 Likes

I really wish she was joking.

I really do.

Like it or not, this is entirely true. Whether you think Gundam should be something different is another matter, but there isn’t a reason Reco should try to appeal to a much different audience than the kind of person who can enjoy most of all of the rest. Especially when the current formula catches a lot of different people, while this is much more specialized assuming it’s even supposed to be subtle and not just a mess.

The same people who buy a Full Armor as one of the first three kits and the other guy who says it’s good just because he likes the Banshee :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, stuff like Origin isn’t exactly fun. Same goes for Thunderbolt. Thing is, I’ll trade “original” or for “comprehensible in the slightest” any day of the week. No point in watching a show that I can’t understand, even if it is supposed to be a “new” kind of Gundam series.

2 Likes

kek[quote=“Joe, post:194, topic:13270”]
Like it or not, this is entirely true.
[/quote]

This isn’t to say I don’t like Gundam, it just isn’t what it was meant to be.[quote=“Joe, post:194, topic:13270”]
Whether you think Gundam should be something different is another matter, but there isn’t a reason Reco should try to appeal to a much different audience than the kind of person who can enjoy most of all of the rest.
[/quote]

I don’t think Gudam should be something else; searching for something e
lse in another mecha show should be viewed during something like EVA or TTGL.

That is what it is though… It’s all subjective, but keep in mind it has a 5.7/10 on Myanimelist.net.

kek

Maybe I phrased it wrong, but they’re simply interesting and engaging to watch.[quote=“Joe, post:194, topic:13270”]
No point in watching a show that I can’t understand, even if it is supposed to be a “new” kind of Gundam series.
[/quote]

Exactly. And new =/= good

1 Like

I dunno man, I just like seeing robots fight.

(And I did really like Unicorn, but its also the only Gundam thing I’ve watched to completion)

Origin IV

Oh man Origin IV

Origin is mostly character-centered (like, Mobile Suits didn’t even exist in the story until the second half) but the animation for the larger battles in IV was beautiful.

This was the first three minutes of Origin I. Just a brief warning, there are a few lower swears.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to watch Origin and Thunderbolt…been too lazy though…

Thunderbolt’s pretty good as well, but something about the animation doesn’t click with me as well. Maybe it’s just the focus on characters that really aren’t well developed that distracts me.

1 Like

I don’t really like the music or the animation for it, I’ve just heard its good. The animation looks a tad too stylized and the constantly blaring Jazz just takes me out of even the smallest scene.

It’s

Alright.

It well conveys the whole “realistic war demonstration” thing but at the same time the story takes a major toll in plot elements.

1 Like

Akay.

So if I was to watch any Gundam show, which would you reccomend?

1 Like

Oh yeah Unicorn

I couldn’t get into it, the story and characters was a slog and I was too impatient for action

1 Like

Depends, what do you want personally, in a show?

Glad to know I’m not alone on this.

1 Like

Unicorn certainly dragged at times, and I certainly had a lot more fun when I watched it with my brother so we could at least entertain each other when the show failed to do so. Though I do enjoy what it did and at least the fights were cool.

Oh dear…a lot of things…

But seeing as this is Gundam, I’ll leave the cheery escapism out.

Anyway, Depth, well written characters and good action. Something to leave me thinking about and enjoying even when I’m done with the show. A good artstyle, a great soundtrack…a plot that makes sense to a total newbie like me…

Oh yeah, and a good dub.

So all in all, I’d like a show that is a immersive experience, something I can watch and be sucked into without having a huge glaring flaw staring me in the face and tearing me out of it every time It starts getting good.

Like I love Unicorn, Banshee, Sinanju and the others,

but like… ehhh it stretches my belief in UC

Still love the mobile suits and any kits from them

2 Likes