Mods To The 2015 Sets

Wow, these look great, I love the bulky look Onua has which he didn’t really have in the first place and Kopaka looks n-ice.
Same thing with Tahu.

admittedly it does hinder leg articulation

These are super cool. I love the skirt armor. Gives them a sort of Gundam look that I really dig. I think the only bit of feedback I have is that Kopaka and Tahu don’t have any trans-blue/red on the lower halves of their bodies. I think I would have tried to at least add some of those colors as an accent to their legs or feet, just to balance out the color scheme. I guess it would also help to add some more purple to Onua, because he’s almost entirely black here.

But those are very minor nitpicks. These look great as-is.

Pretty cool, I like the samurai esq look the skirt gives Tahu.

I think you had good ideas on most of them but went a little too overboard with said ideas.
The armor add-on looks really unappealing on their feet.

I’ll go one by one for clarities sake.

##tahu
The mask and arms really clash with the rest of his body, badly.
His arms are completely trans neon orange which ends up looking really ugly compared to the rest of him.
I’d recommend making at least one bone and one shell transparent instead of the whole arm.
And I’m really not feeling the double armor pieces for his shoulders they just end up looking like they would hit each other making him moving difficult.
I do like what you did with the different HF chest plate, but I don’t entirely like the way the back of the legs look, especially with the armor add-on floating off of it.
I think he’s the only one that wears the skirt thing well because of his samurai like appearance.

I don’t like the fire parts on the end of the swords cause they look impractical and seem ike something a kid would do to make the weapon “more powerful” like adding another blade to make a sword thicker or something.

I’d say make Tahu more samurai like and fix up his arms a lot and you got a pretty good revamp.

##kopaka
Kopaka feels really bulky but in some of the wrong ways to me.
I don’t like the skirt cause I think it really should be something to make Tahu look unique.
I don’t like the add-ons on his shoulders either, think for a moment that these are pistons to help them move, those are literally floating there, and his legs lack ANY gold pieces which is critical to balancing a colorscheme.
And his arms while the bones are all trans light blue the legs lack any of that color as well, which confuses me cause the set comes with the lower leg bones in trans light blue.
I think the upper legs should have been left with that shell piece they had before instead of just copping tahu. and theres a much more compact way to make legs using those shells.

Use one of these and then attach a five long axel with a stopper on it, one balljoint at the stopper, then a bushing, then 2 more balljoints then connect it to the piece above, you put the bigger shell on the higher joint and the smaller shell on the lower joint.

Ends up looking like this.

Now unlike tahu I actually like the extra parts to the shield, cause it makes the thing a tad bigger and doesn’t look too bad.
And the spear is a nice touch being Kopaka nuva’s sword and all.

Those are skis

##onua
Why the 2016 mask by the way?
As you said it looks a lot like LoganMcOwen’s version, though I wish there was gold due to it being on his chest print.
The same thing goes with Kopaka about the skirt.
Not a fan of the chains hanging off the hammer, it seems pointless, kinda like the ball thing on Pohatu 2016’s spear.

Despite them being on his combo model with PoE i don’t like the rocks on the shoulders, it ruins the sleek look the shoulders had.
He could also use a lot more purple, as he is now he’s basically his 01 colors but with the chest ruining everything.

You are taking some of the best aspects of these sets and trying to improve them, but I think at the same time you’re adding problems of your own.
So I hope you continue working on these and make them better.

@BlackboltJohnson Haha yes. Unfortunately I’m strapped for cash so I can’t hit Bricklink for pieces. Rest assured, I am planning on giving them so more trans-pieces

@AwesomeJoel27 These revamps are subject to change as I am gleaning some opinions on how the Toa should be like.

Tahu’s head and arms are supposed to be on fire hence the trans-orange. I don’t think that was communicated too well in this design from what I can see. The shoulders are the closest I could get to having a samurai-esque piece, and yeah they clip with each other a lot when I use his gearbox. His board has fire on the back on it as in my own story the board can now fly, but that kinda detracts from the lavaboard aspect of it.

Kopaka
He is not a pretty sight. I purposely designed him to be opposite/similar to Tahu i.e. Scorpion and Subzero from MK (the elemental arms are a nod to them). However, his trans-arms ended up looking bad. The knee pads are based off of the wonky proportions you’d find in mech anime (think Evangelion and Gundam), but these are really gappy. I am not too experienced in using classic Technic pieces, and I wish to keep it limited to CCBS-era Technic.

Onua
The 2016 mask looked proportionate compared to the 2015 one, and had the silver dual-mold to match with the rocks on his shoulders. The skirt was to fill out his crotch. I lack the new trans-purple and golden armor pieces, so I made him entirely silver. The chains are meant to add more color on him, sort of as a placeholder for the actual pieces I need to get soon.

I admit I opened a new can of worms with the revamps, and these will fixed accordingly.

Just part 2 of my revamp thread thingy.

GALI, 500m BUTTERFLY STROKE CHAMPION

Not much of massive revamp of Gali, just removed unnecessary silver. Her original design is extremely solid. The only thing I wanted to really change was her arm bones to complete trans-blue to make her look like her arms were pulsating water.

Like all of the Toa, she carries her original Kanohi on her person. The Kaukau unfortunately does not share the light blue that Gen 2 has.

Her original trident had yellow on one side, which looked out of place in her secondary form.

Under the sea, this form you will see~

She realized that she is swimming on land.

Lewa, Lean Not-So-Green Air-is-now-Jungle Machine

He is not the best I could come up with. His problem is the same as the Mistika, which had too much silver. However, I made the axe tops longer so he could actually swing it, which is a plus.

If the Hau didn’t exist, this Miru would probably be the main Kanohi.

His axes need a bit more flair after I removed the yellow, so trans-bright green seemed appropriate.

Wind-fly!

Handstand!

Two generations having a laugh.

Edited for unintentional triple-post -legomaster

5 Likes

I actually preferred the yellow on Lewa to all that silver.
The rest are really good though I can’t see much difference with Gali.

3 Likes

@Jack_Frost Noted. I tried simplifying each of the Toa’s colors to just one color and a metal accent, which was great imo until I ran into Lewa and my lack of green CCBS pieces. I deem him sufficient for now.

Gali doesn’t look to different because I like her original design. I just tried to add more blue and remove the scatterings of silver on her, leaving blue and gunmetal.

Pohatu is angry because I forgot to post his pictures.

Pohatu had the shortest end of the stick in terms of design. I made him symmetrical despite the gut feeling that he could be Mad Max with his cool cut sleeve, and he looks okay. He is now like 35% burnt orange, and awkwardly has a corset design. Still trying to think of a better shoulder pad to replicate Max’s leather jacket.

The Kakama looks like a piece of chocolate on his back. Biggest issue here was finding a suitable spot for the chain to attach.

Sandstorm generator move thing.

Sandshoes! With reflective strips!

insert pohatu line here

Edited for double-post -legomaster

8 Likes

There are some design decisions I like and a lot that either look dumb or inferior to the sets.
The add-ons on the feet for instance, look dumb and ugly.
My biggest complaint however is just how much worse the color blocking is on all of these, tahu has arms that are trans orange and then everything else is red, kopaka has all the gold contained on his shoulders, leaving the rest of him to look bland, gali, looks almost identical with some parts swapped out, can’t really complain there, lewa is now 70% silver, and the added bulk of the additional add-ons ruin his once sleek silhouette, onua is probably the best of them, but the lack of gold makes his colors feel cold, and my boy pohatu, has gone from boots to pants, yeah, the color blocking is top heavy, and I really liked the asymmetric armor he had.

Overall there are a few things that are done better, but largely I prefer the official designs.

Edited content that is no longer relevant -legomaster

3 Likes

The official sets are definitely great, these are just my interpretations and I am happy to see your thoughts on them.

Definitely, they all need work on their color schemes, yes. The metal drab here was meant to represent the robotic element of the Toa, but now as I stare at them a bit more on my shelf, they don’t look as organically fresh or vibrant as Lego’s initial design. Feet additions were pretty much me trying to make CCBS feet look better, and I had a bunch of armor addons left around. Poof, looks like they got hooves now.

Edited content that is no longer relevant -legomaster

You know there was a misprint for the Kaukau that was light blue but it is extremely rare.

Also there is a burnt orange Kakama that came with Hewkii if you didn’t know what

1 Like

I’m aware of the dark orange kakama (I actually have it on display besides my Pohatus). I just wanted them to hold their original kanohi in their colors. Thanks for the mention of the kaukau though, didn’t remember that one.

Very nice. I like the other batch better, but these rock too. I do think Gali’s shoulder pauldrons are too high though.

Of these 3, Pohatu is my favorite. I really like the proportions and armoring you came up with.

1 Like

Well here we go.

##gali
Definitely the most solid out of all of them, because its Gali.
The new bones are fine, because of the way the shoulder armor is posed the upper arm armor seems awkwardly placed to me, like it should be facing upwards instead of down IMO.

Well I mean it exists in light blue just REALLY rare and expensive.
I very much like what you did to the spear side of the trident.

However in doing so you created a much bigger problem, the silver on gali was balanced out by the shoulders, chest, hands, and the spikes on her legs.
Now that its only on her shoulders it looks worse.
An interesting idea too would be adding more yellow to her body in small proportions, like spiked parts looking like fins or something.
Gali is one of the best here but thats cause of the set itself, I would hardly call her a Revamp since she seems like a downgrade to me.

##lewa

Which would be fixed if you didn’t add all the extra silver bits, you can leave the shoulders and upper legs with out any armor, just use bigger shells if you need to. Even if they’re like the rarest thing ever

Um I guess? doesn’t seem to matter to me but a longer axe doesn’t matter much.

No you keep missing the point over and over again! you’re creating more problems than you solve while changing things, the axes were fine having yellow since it ties in with the chest printing, heck if you could find a way to put yellow parts on the green instead of silver, all your problems would be solved.

by making the blades green, not only do they look out of place with the rest of the weapon, but they introduce a whole new color, when the previous color worked well with the color scheme already.
Sorry if this seems like a rant over a silly thing, but it really bugs me that some things that you’re doing just go backwards instead of forwards.
Rant over.

Always thought it would be the Pakari TBH

You could edit the original post.

##pohatu
He has the same feet problem as the $20 sets.
He also has the same color blocking problems as Kopaka, his lower body is completely silver and black, add a trans neon green bone there and some dark orange, Pohatu’s design had something that ended up looking like big metal boots, which was a nice callback to his glory days of kicking rocks, however here it looks like his boots have eaten his entire lower torso.
I don’t mind the shoulder armor, but I think it would be a good idea to make it completely Asymmetrical like the set, one arm armored completely and the other arm lightly built for throwing his boomerang.
His arms being completely symmetrical even with the white parts kinda leave him a tad boring looking, especially with how crazy his chest plate is.

Heck my own Toa of stone might be a better Pohatu Revamp, and she isn’t even Pohatu! /s

Also minor nitpick his eyes are red, which would be fine if he didn’t have trans green everywhere.

What I said about the other three goes here too, you’re trying to improve them but you’re also adding a lot more problems than you solve, this isn’t saying that the masters are perfect and can’t be improved however, so keep at it!

Even if it was a rant, your points still stand.

Gali
Swapped out colors to accentuate blues, looks nastier. But I’m not sure where I would go with the silver, since I want her to have a one-piece swimsuit look on her torso.

Lewa
He’s ugly, yeah. I don’t really want to have yellows on him, so would trans-green work as an accent color?

Pohatu
Yep, I definitely returned him to an asymmetirical design. The symmetrical look was done because I gave a dual gear system to Pohatu, but yeah, he looks bleh.

Yes, they will be changing as long as they stand on my shelf. Forever.

1 Like

Finally, I’m ready to share my mods for my 2015 villain sets which we all know are lacking in design when compare to the Toa.

I tried to keep the silhouette of the sets the same because I like their general ides, just not their final looks.

Winter Wave:

• Lord of Skull Spider

So I’ve changed his legs to CCBS attached to Glatorian necks, which I swapped with those trans-neon-orange technic beams. I also replaced knobbed gears with black ones to better suited his color scheme.

To make the body shape more spider-like, I shortened his abdomen by using shorter beams found in hunter Umarak’s legs, and rounded the end with Terak’s hand piece.This way the function still works the same, just with shorten grip.

With these mods, LOSS finally fits right in with the rest CCBS-heavy sets. And he can really hold that non-canon GMoSS now. :grin:

Summer Wave:

These sets generally suffer from unproportionally short legs (except Skull Scorpio of course), so that’s what I’d fix in every one of them.

• Skull Grinder

I simply use body construction from SSvsMM & Skull Scorpio “Kulta Kal” combiner to beef him up and differentiate him from other skull villains. And to deal with his gearbox friction, I added a ball & socket type friction like Onua Master.

• Skull Basher

Not much change here. I just swapped his leg bones with Onua Uniter’s longer trans-purple ones.

• Skull Scorpio

This most jarring thing about this set is the clunky function. So I restructured its technic function to be more compact and streamlined. This design is based on Leewan’s mod I saw on Eurobricks forum.

However, since I didn’t have all the parts he used, I changed some aspect of the design so it’s not an exact copy of the original anyway.

This iteration of the function can even hold its pose in either fully closed or opened positions.

Here’s the LDD file for the function, in case anyone want to look more into it: LINK

• Skull Slicer

I didn’t like how all six of his limbs were essentially the same built, so I moved the parts around to distribute the color more evenly.

I also accented his legs by giving him long bones from Umarak Hunter’s arms and shells to make his legs stand out from his arms.

• Skull Warrior

I found nothing wrong with him in particular, so I’ve left him untouched.

I also added extra spikes here and there, but that’s entirely up to your preferences. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hmm that LOSS looks so cool I want it

2 Likes

Fantastic improvements; probably the best mods i’ve ever seen without distorting the official design too much

2 Likes

I love what you did to Skull Scorpio’s tail.

2 Likes

Finally got bored and decided to fix the flaws I have with the 2015 sets, aside from Scorpio, it’s not worth saving.

You know, at this point I think kulta counts as a moc, but he’s finally actually threatening.

3 Likes