Movies that blew you away

The Original Jurassic Park, and Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.

1 Like

Jaws blew me away the first time I saw it.

2 Likes

Twister really blew me away

KIngsman blew me away because of how good it turned out to be.

And then another movie that blew me away it the fact of how funny it was was The Little Hours. Be warned, it is extremely raunchy and inappropriate for younger viewers

1 Like

To be more accurate, Summer Wars is just a retooled Our War Game. I prefer Our War Game, personally, simply because Diaboromon is freaking creepy and Omegamon/Omnimon was a site to behold at that time. I think the Digimon mythos is what makes the idea of a sentient virus messing with computer systems in order to cause mass destruction for the fun of it so enjoyable. Summer Wars felt less than that, because it was basically just a reimagining without the mythos.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely. I also have a lot more nostalgia for Our War Game as well but itā€™s really good. I totally enjoy it more then Summer Wars to be honest.

I feel like even without the mythos Summer Wars stands up on itself pretty well.

I kinda mostly put Summer Wars here because it works better as a stand alone film.

1 Like

Havenā€™t seen solo either.

Adding to this list, Unbreakable. I recently rewatched it, and itā€™s still one of my all time favorite movies. It has a peculiar suspense and I like its flow.

After I discovered it has sequels, I watched Split yesterday. It was pretty good and interesting, though not blow-me-away good. Nonetheless, Iā€™m excited for Glass.

I love the first Kingsman for the same reason, but I was really disappointed with Golden Circle.

The Dark Knight Trilogy. It was BEAUTIFUL. Rises left you with so much hope for continuation, but Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t.

the feels at the end got meā€¦ especially the repurposing of Wayne manor. I could tell Blake would be robin though

1 Like

any studio ghibli movie ever

1 Like

Paddington 2 blew me away in the sense that I was expecting it to be awful. It wasnā€™t by any means the greatest movie, but it greatly exceeded my expectations.

Paddington was hilarious.
Top gun was horrible, for a PG movie. It has so many bad words!
Infinity war was just great, as with the first Avengers and Doctor Strange.
Groundhog Day was awful.
Elf just surprised me with the amount of slapstick humor.

Bumblebee without a doubt. I absolutely love it. Best film of 2018 by far.

3 Likes

I still have to see it.

DANGIT, TOMORROW!
GET HERE ALREADY

1 Like

I guess I should add the second two Lord of the Rings to my list. Despite having seen them before, the latest time watching them has been the best.

Bionicle didnā€™t deserve to end (twice), I wish Star Wars wasnā€™t dying, and I wish half of Marvel wasnā€™t snapped away (in-universe), but Lord of the Rings lives on because it did end. And that is truly a wonder.

1 Like

In my opinion this was a subpar SFX test. Not to the extent of A Good Dinosaur, but itā€™s not great.

1 Like

Top Gun was released in the age when the PG-13 rating was brand new and no one really knew what would go in that space. For movies that were released in the early 80s or before, you need to look at ratings differently.

G = G/ Modern PG
PG = Modern PG-13
R = R

You look back at a lot of movies from then and theyā€™d slip a bit with their ratings. Short Circuit would probably be PG-13 today (not that Iā€™d get made with that script, but thatā€™s a discussion for another day), The Land Before Time would probably be PG just because of some thematic elements, and we all know Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones And The Temple of Doom would be PG-13 since Temple of Doom is the movie that helped birth the PG-13 in the first place.

2 Likes

Fair point, but stillā€¦
I canā€™t believe my dad watched it so much when he was a kid. I guess the standards are different now.

2 Likes

I watched Old Boy due to the YMS review.

I love the movie. Itā€™s shows good ways to introduce and develop a character and introduces great ways to twist the plot and show the struggle of the character trying to adapt to what happens.