Movies that blew you away

As a kid: Star Wars*, Lord of the Rings, Ben-Hur*

As a teenager: The Matrix*, Spider-man*, Nosferatu*, Amadeus, The Princess Bride, Blade Runner*

As an (alleged) adult: Groundhog Day, Hamlet (1996), Ran, The Searchers, Solaris*, Lawrence of Arabia

*In each case, the answer to “which one?” is “the real one.” :stuck_out_tongue: (Usually the first live-action one, or at least the first well-known one, as with Ben-Hur.)

3 Likes

Endgame.

3 Likes

Idk if I’ve already mentioned dark knight trilogy, but rises especially got me. I teared up when wayne manor was converted to an orphanage. It was so good. I didn’t want it to end, which rarely happens with me

The Secret World of Arrietty was definitely one for me. I got choked up at the very end where he mentions he never saw her again. Most things don’t affect me like that. I didn’t cry over Old Yeller or the Yearling, but this got me for some reason.

1 Like

Spider Man Homecoming blew me away. That was a good one. I just loved the whole thing.

3 Likes

Far From Home was really, really good. Mysterio was phenomenal.

Dark Knight was also very good. I now see why people love it so much and got mad at me when I told them I hadn’t seen it.

That scares me because when I was a lot younger I felt the same way

1 Like

The Matrix. I was just so blown away by the spectacular action scenes. No wander why other movies tried so desperately to imitate it.

Endgame. I was so blown to how much emotional impact it had on me. Seriously, I never expected that from a superheroes movie.

The Rescuers Down Under. The animation is just beautiful. The characters are so fun and charming. While I was watching it, I kept wandering “Why does Disney just want to forget they made this movie?”

4 Likes

I saw Top Gun: Maverick the other day and it blew me away.

1 Like

Jurassic Park, Castaway, The Terminal, The Old Man and the Gun, Waking Ned Devine

I was 11 when I first saw Pacific rim, its blatant acceptance of how cheesy it is is one of the many reasons it’s still my favorite movie despite what it lacks in other departments.

3 Likes

Morbius. Nothing can top it.

1 Like

Oh boy, I’ve got to add a few more to the list:

Inception
Dr. Strangelove
No Way Home
The Godfather
Saving Private Ryan
Citizen Kane
Interstellar
The Shawshank Redemption

Basically every movie I should have seen a long time ago, yet never did. (Besides No Way Home, I saw that exactly when I needed to)

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoy Kenneth Branagh’s take on Much Ado About Nothing. That film opened me up to appreciating stage

1917: it awakened my interest in WWI movies, which I previously ignored.

Say that slower

I know, you probably just made a typo!

Anyone who is friends with me on Discord will know from my pfp and blurb that I love Inception. Also Nolan’s other works such as The Prestige, Interstellar and Dunkirk. All of those had me riveted to the screen.

I think if you talk about a movie afterwards, that shows it had an impact.

Also bonus mention, Madagascar 2. Little me was so blown away that I did not bite my ice-cream once and in fact let it melt all over me with not a care because I was so astounded by the amazing cinema-going experience unfolding before my eyes.

Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

This was the last movie I saw in theaters before covid. My great grandfather was drafted into serving in WWI and it actually was as brutal as the movie depicts.

3 Likes