My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I feel like we’re probably going to get a fair few “this is how to be a reasonable friend and not behave like a sociopathic maniac” episodes this season, which I’m up for as comedy episodes. I guess there’s room for ‘actual’ friendship lessons too, but so many of those have been covered already with similar characters that I’m not sure what new potential storylines Starlight has to offer in that vein.

Of course, the fact that so many people aren’t bothered by her protagonist role in principle, merely skeptical of its application, is yet another testament to the writers. Somehow the premiere has already convinced me that Starlight is genuinely (at least mostly) reformed despite no real arc whatsoever, and that’s impressive.

On a side note, the next three episodes are reportedly:

1. A Maud episode
  2. A CMC episode
  3. A Spike episode

These could go in many directions, good or bad, but overall I’m cautiously optimistic (especially given last season’s handling of the CMC).

Spike’s episode is the one I’m hyping for.

3 Likes

Okay! After seeing the season premiere, here are my thoughts:

I no longer hate Starlight Glimmer with as much fervor as I did for the season 5 closer, and I found the reason: In this episode, she struggles and suffers. Now before you all cry out “sadist!” let me clarify. In all of Starlight’s previous appearances she appeared (to me at least) to be too over-powered and I never saw her in a real struggle. But in this episode, we see her struggle in an attempt to be good. Most of her suffering comes as a direct result of Twilight’s Friendship lesson and attempting to reconnect with Sunburst. What’s more, she’s extremely socially awkward, something that I can relate to.

I really liked being able to see Shining Armor and Cadence as parents, and the new baby was fun. It was also great to see Celestia and Luna actually help in trying to resolve the episode’s issue.

Here comes the only thing I didn’t like about the Season Premiere. The fact that Celestia and Luna confessed to not being born as Alicorns, something that surprised me and a lot of the Brony Fandom. Or at least: “The Birth of an Alicorn is something Equestria has never seen.” Soooo, Luna and Celestia were born before Equestria maybe? I’m grasping at straws here to keep my headcanon, but it’s not working. Everything else in the two episodes was good.

Also, hooooo boy that THING in the background of the final few seconds.

Changelings are coming for that baby. Either to steal the love it has for it’s parents, or vice versa. I expect it to be a major plotpoint in the season 6 closer or the FIM Movie.

3 Likes

That seems to be what pretty much everyone’s saying. Makes sense honestly, that’s pretty much a given - especially taking supplementary material (such as The Journal of the Two Sisters) into account. I wouldn’t call it grasping at straws, I think your headcanon’s well-and-truly safe albeit with a little tweak or two.

Ohh, yes, I am looking forward to this. More love bugs is always good! I doubt it’s just animators mucking around, at this point I’d say it’s safe to assume it’s foreshadowing on some level at least. Everyone keep your eyes peeled for changelings over the season, there has been speculation (with which I agree) that they may become this season’s Starlight Glimmer!

Indeed, I reckon that’s the case. Basically I just right-clicked on the image in your post, didn’t see a ‘copy’ option in the drop-down menu, and decided I was too lazy to go get the image from EQD (which is where I saw it first, too).

In regards to the picture, maybe you can’t copy it bc it’s not technically “mine?” most pics I download and then post, but this one was just copy/pasted straight from Equestria Daily.

Here’s the link to the original, but beware! Spoilers! http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/03/mystery-background-element-at-end-of.html

So the new episode aired. I gotta say, Maud really…

ROCKED IT.

please dont hurt me

4 Likes

After “The Cutie Re-Mark” I was very worried about the direction the show would take with Starlight’s rushed “redemption” and Cadance’s pregnancy, but all my doubts are dismissed. These four episodes were great, and I appreciated the expansion of male roles.
What’s that Spike? Twilight suggests I share something I regret? Well, I’ve only watched pirated versions of the past five seasons, but finally I’m buying all Season 6 episodes! Hooray for being a decent person!

3 Likes

Interesting trivia fact: “On Your Marks” is the first episode to never feature any of the Mane Six. Not even in the background.

2 Likes

Interesting. The season premiere also gave the Mane Six little attention. I like the new characters, but I wonder if this season will carry that trend too far.

1 Like

From what I’ve read we have a confirmed Rarity-centered episode, Rainbow Dash-centered episode, and Applejack-centered episode in the near future. I’m still hoping we get to see Fluttershy’s family and Scootaloo’s family, we’ve been in the dark about those two for too long if you ask me.

No problem! In G3, it’s revealed that Scootaloo is Cheerilee’s younger sister! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Jokes aside (hopefully), I hope we’ll see their families, but I think it’s more likely we’ll see Fluttershy’s than Scootaloo’s. I suppose I shouldn’t try to forecast the season this early. I’ll just cross my fingers that tomorrow’s Spike episode will be a good one.

2 Likes

Bronies: We don’t come back, we relapse.

I have a lot to say on the subject of Season 6 and the show as a whole, but I’ll save that for later. For now, I’ll just say that Season 6 is lookin’ good.

6 Likes

agreed, it’s looking good so far, but that can easily flip on it’s side and fall apart. It’s only been 4 episodes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quite true. Season 4 looked good at first, and turned out to be the show’s worst season (albeit with a few classics) so I won’t hold my breath, but I’ve seen no reason to suspect this will be bad, yet, either.

1 Like

Fair point, I’m just gonna wait and see what the rest of the season will be like before making any accusations like most people on the internet have been.

1 Like

Oh dear… It’s a good thing I don’t really pay much attention to the fandom these days.

2 Likes

Yeah I pretty much jumped off that train after season 5. I just watch the show now and occasionally read up on what other’s thought of it.

1 Like

As did I.

2 Likes

I respect that decision :wink:

1 Like

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Today is shaping up to be a good day, I can tell

3 Likes