Nikolas Utu, the Zealot (Self-Moc?) Toa of Truth

I will call this my Self-Moc. Nikolas embodies the warrior-preacher I hope to become.

Nikolas is the leader of the second generation of the Toa Utu, having been chosen by Toa Jethro Utu to receive his personal Toa Stone upon becoming a Turaga. Nikolas has taken the mission of the team in a drastically different direction, retaining their vow to convert or kill Anti-Toa, but now also focusing on spreading the truth of the Great Beings and their Vessel Mata Nui. The Toa Utu have become his disciples,taking their news of Hope and Justice to the world of Spherus Magna. Nikolas is often ridiculed, however, for believing that some of the Brotherhood of Makuta escaped to Spherus Magna and are continuing to manipulate the populace toward worldwide submission. Even some of the other Toa Utu are not convinced, but Nikolas’ care for his team and his world persuade them to follow him on his quest for Truth, Hope, and Justice regardless.
Nikolashas been made an outcast in many cities, and is even portrayed as a revolutionary in entire regions. His odd doctrines and often violent lifestyle are used by more conventional and powerful leaders to paint Nikolas as a threat to the peace. As a result, many cities on Spherus Magna require that Nikolas relinquish his axe to law enforcement during his stay. The rest of the Toa Utu are treated similarly across Spherus Magna, but Nikolas assures them that their mistreatment only serves to prove that this world is not their home, and that the Great Beings will return and rebuild the world as it was intended.

Nikolas is a proud warrior, which he considers his to be both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. His assurance in the virtue and righteousness of his cause is what propels him to great feats, but his pride can and has often lead him into conflicts-both physical and ideological-that are either un-winnable or unnecessary and harmful.
Nikolas has never demonstrated a connection to any Element, either as a Matoran or a Toa, which many find unnerving. He has taken Truth to be his “element” wearing a Kanohi Rode as a symbol of his cause. Nikolas moves like an Artakha bull, swift, powerful, and unstoppable. He is not especially agile, however, meaning that faster opponents can outmaneuver him. His battle axe is spiritually bound to him, meaning that he can summon it to his hand from anywhere in the world. (Nikolas finds it ironic that cities still confiscate the weapon during his stays. To punctuate the humor, he will often leave the axe with the authorities as a “gift”, only to recall the weapon in his next battle!)

OK, backstory done.
Here are some photos to show off the build. Feel free to throw in any advice to make it more complete looking.

I know, He totally needs something to fill in this gap. Part suggestions would be helpful!! :slight_smile:

His hips and ankles are king of weak, but he can still hold battle poses. deciding whether or not to try and make a “belt” out of those turquoise tubes to reinforce the hips.

Kneeling salute, because a religious zealot needs one of those.

The axe by itself. Considering changing that fin out for a silver one.

Please, if you guys have suggestions, I would love to hear them. I am still pretty new to the boards.
Thanks for viewing!

51 Likes

That’s an awesome colour scheme, the build is pretty nice as well.

2 Likes

That looks great, just maybe replace the pice on the hands for possible fingers.

1 Like

@TheMOCingbird Do you have a design that won’t fall apart when he inevitably goes back into the parts bin? I haven’t found one yet… :cry:

@Morgy Glad you like the colors! I was afraid it would be a love-it-or-hate-it combo!

Edited for Double Post - Waj

2 Likes

Just T-pices and fingers work well for me.

1 Like

The neck seems a bit long. I’m not too fond of the colors, but that’s personal opinion. You’ve got a solid torso and limb construction though. Good work.

1 Like

I love it. Such an under-appreciated color combo. It’s just nitpicking, but I think the neck is too long.

1 Like

Good start, the MOC has a lot of potential. I enjoy the color scheme you went for. The teal and orange work well with the silver, and the yellow is a good accent. There’s also some NPU (nice parts usage), with the tubing and mask pads.

One thing I would recommend is working on the way you shape things. There are some parts of this MOC that look a little off to me. For example, the chest looks like it is floating, and the arms have jarring transitions, especially with those gaps in between. Granted, the colors you chose were a bit uncommon, so I understand that you had limits.

You have a nice start here, so keep it up.

Also,

Welcome to the boards.

1 Like

would look even better if he had proper hands, just saying

1 Like

@Dr.Doctor
Didn’t see the neck issue until I went back and looked at the pics haha I can fix that.
@Leoxander
Yeah I figured the colors would get a varied response. Thanks for pointing out the neck.
@Cocoa
I see what you mean about the chest. I will work in some other mass, probably in attempt to fix the neck issue. Hopefully that will help.

I appreciate the feedback guys!

4 Likes

that’s a really clever hand design

It’s durable anyway! I actually stole it from the original Umbra set from 2006. Always wanted that set.

2 Likes

Looks pretty solid! I like the color scheme and axe especially.

1 Like

Thank you much sir!

It great but I feel the neck is a little too long.

1 Like

Oh man oh boy… He looks very nice and I like the build of your moc and nice colour scheme, and the weapon is good too. I really like what you did with onua´s 2015 claw heads for the hips of your moc, great job :slight_smile: keep it up and someday you will become a great mocist.

1 Like

He already is pretty great

I also just noticed how he holds onto the weapon, that’s amazing!

1 Like

@Dr.Doctor Its better than adding tiny lift-arms, at least IMO. I do wish it didn’t break up the color scheme though. Maybe V2 will fix that! Thanks for the encouragement!
@MichaelTheLightBringer Thank you much sir!

Colours look great, and love the Axe build.

1 Like

Colors mix is so good on this one. I love the axe weapon. And the torso build is very unique and innovative.

1 Like