Ninja 1998 vs Ninjago: which is better in your opinion

I don’t want this to turn into another debate about whether Ninjago is good or not, but I will say this:

I understand this is a viewpoint that many people have, that Ninjago gets “repetitive” in its sets, but I, for one, am not entirely bothered by this. I don’t go out and buy very many sets, so I don’t feel that much obligation to go out and buy every single Kai mech they make. I just like to see the different takes each wave has on the vehicles, and the different styles and color changes between years of story. And I do not doubt that if Ninja 1998 continued for longer than a year, it likely would have fallen into a similar pattern of “repetition” that people criticize Ninjago as following. Not to mention that 1998 was restricted to only one style, so the number of possibilities would be shrunk farther down. (Also, am I reading into this right, or is this a sub-subtheme? It’s not super comparable to Ninjago if that is true.)

However, the more unpopular opinion I have regarding the accused repetition is that saying “Oh, look, another jet for the blue one,” is similar, though arguably not analogous, to saying “Hey, look, they made another red fire one,” to every wave of Bionicle.

2 Likes

Well with bionicle we at least had a different style to every toa. You can tell the difference between nuva and mata onto metru and voya nui. All of jays jets look very similar and so do most of their dragons.

1 Like

I understand that this is a very controversial take, but the way I see the sets are like this:

Kai’s Rebooted Jet

The “Destiny’s Wing” from Hunted

And Kai’s “Mech Jet” from whatever the latest season is called, I actually do not know.

Now, these are all Kai planes, but I believe that they are all very unique and different enough that I’m okay with three jets in the expanse of six years. And I haven’t purchased any of them (though I was really tempted by that Destiny’s Wing), so I feel unimpacted by their existences. One is just a jet that seems to be similar to a spaceship in appearance, one is a more old-fashioned plane, and one is a transformer. I think these are all cool and deserve recognition.

I know you guys won’t agree with me, but this is just my take. Plus, Legacy sets aren’t exactly an accurate example because they’re supposed to be similar, and yet are unique and updated enough that I still like them. Plus, Jay’s Storm Fighter was one of my first Ninjago sets so I will love it forever

3 Likes

A very good point

1 Like

Not a fair comparison imo. Both are very different subject matters and one is 10 years older thus having a disadvantage in terms of building techniques. Both are good but Ninjago could benefit as others have said by going back to more Japanese inspiration and location sets. Back when Ninjago first came out I was mildly interested (my brother liked it more) and just never got invested. The ninja range is certainly good and without it we wouldn’t have the katanas or samurai armour-I think of it as on par with castle as a historical era that deserved a LEGO presence and it does stand out as the one non west historic theme. (I’m not counting the cultures in adventurers as they’re not the full focus)

4 Likes

(Keep in mind that I’ve never owned a Ninja set, and I’ve only owned one ninjago set, so all of my opinions are solely based on what I can observe in pictures and videos)

I think that @Axelford makes sone good points

Ninjago is consistently high quality, but it’s overarching esthetic has gotten a bit bland over time. Every now and then I see a set or a wave that really tickles my fancy, but for the most part I’m indifferent.

Also, I just want to say that the boxes for the old Ninja line (and other older fantasy themes) are glorious, and in my opinion look cooler than a lot modern boxes. I love the backdrop and the rocky terrain!

4 Likes

Heck yeah! The modelled terrain in the old catalogs was awesome and it reached its peak in ninjas promotion.

4 Likes

Just for having a plot ninjago is better but my common complaint is too many vehicles and most of the non vehicle sets are either expensive or is barely more then a backdrop. I would love to see more then just some main building and nothing else; where’s the houses, shops, general city stuff?

3 Likes

Hmm I am now conflicted on this. As much as I love Bionicles plot, but I also have fake nostalgia for when people just got the set and just made up their own story’s, if you take a look on bricklink at all the sets, you can look at the different figures, and I for one have already started going “oh I wonder how many groups of ninja there are” were as others might have it being thinking that it was ninja vs the samurai but that’s the beauty of it! That you can make up what ever story you want, and I actually prefer the old pieces it’s looks nicer to me

2 Likes

True but at this point what even Is ninjagos plot anyway? At this point you could get some knock off say gundam minifigures and call them the mecha ninja. Really it’s so stale at this point any idea would be more interesting then an old season with some new names attached.

2 Likes

That’s why I lost interest in it

2 Likes

i like the orginal ninja with all it’s good sets, but ninjago is better

I have fond memories of the Ninja 1998. I only ever got one of the smaller sets…

At the time, the theme seemed to have a “big kid” vibe about it, something the cool kids would be getting into. :sweat_smile:

Ninjago is obviously way more out there in terms of content, which was fun for a while, but I prefer the classic, more grounded Ninja 1998 as time goes on.

2 Likes