Ninjago 2016 General Discussion

Yeah, that has been the case since 2015.

No one posted this yet? OK.

Haven’t watched it with audio yet, but what are the ninja doing in the desert besides making an intro? Oh well, setting hype thrusters to medium.

@Nyran

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw this

I’m convinced this season will culminate in Cole’s design mirroring the prints we saw in some of the summer sets, where he’s mostly flesh and blood once more.

2 Likes

Everyone doing ok all back together just seems too good to be true. Clearly something bad is going to happen this season. jk :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m super pumped!

1 Like

I really wish that they had a actual intro to show us, as that was one of the most hype-inducing moments for Possession. I also wonder what the new Weekend Whip will be. Will it be a remix? will they re-visit the first one? I dunno man.

New Day of the Departed trailer!

I have sort of an odd wish for this season after watching this. I think it would be really cool to have the entire season take place over only a few if not a single day. It would be really cool to see all the events go down within 24 hours or so, as encapsulated by a literal “Day of the Departed.” One day to stop the return of the villains or else chaos ensues. The stakes would be up right off the bat.

1 Like

I am actually really exited for this, but I really…dunno what is even happening…are the ghosts of past villains back to haunt them?

Lets see…Samukai was turned into a portal…I GUESS he could come back.

Pythor is still alive.

Kozu…does he have a soul? and he was destroyed when Lloyd first beat the Overlord…

Chen is dead, very very dead. He was inside the cursed realm when it exploded…and even IF he lived through that, he is in the middle of the ocean…as a ghost…

Morro is also very very dead, he was a ghost, who was then pulled into the FREAKING OCEAN.

Yang is still around though…so…I don’t know what he is doing…

Anyway, the amount of questions I have for this season just make me more hyped for it. and I look forward to seeing the Villains have one final showdown with the Ninja.

It says special. Specials are one off episodes, and are never a full season. At most you’d be looking at 1-3 episodes.

wipes a tear

I suspected as much.

1 Like

Ah, makes more sense, considering Hands of Time then. Bummer. I still hold the same wish, though.

1 Like

Does anyone know if day of the departed will air on any other channel apart from CN in the UK?

I’m pretty sure the entire show was found in Teletoon.
edit:

The only thing I can find on the internet is a low quality camera record on youtube that goes up to 2mins or less. sorry :timer:

Probably one of my favorite Whips…

1 Like

Sounds pretty good. I’m hoping the special will be the same, tho.

I quite enjoyed Day of the Departed. It worked as a special, however I could totally have seen this being stretched out. Some parts went by pretty quick, and there was plenty that could have been put in to make this a season of its own. Now where’s our teaser for Hands of Time? XD I give it the two thumbs up!

Wait what? It’s out now? I haven’t found any good footage

I will have to wait a few days. I have not found anything either.

Should be on KissCartoon tomorrow.

Whatever. I watched it in really bad quality (with inaudible audio) and pretty much liked it. Cool stuff, cool story, nice HoT reference, and great ending.

I will be waiting until they have it, yeh/

Just watched Day of the Departed. It was pretty alright, a decent number of good nods and such but honestly too rushed and written underwhelmingly.

It’s worth noting is that the Hageman Brothers didn’t write it- And that’s reflected in the quality a bit. Despite the writer clearly knowing Ninjago(references are more than common and a few previous plot points were very well respected) humor was valued above impact and a lot of the dialogue felt incredibly blunt(especially on the villains’ end). It worked well with Chen and Samukai, but Crytor seemed less threatening, Pythor wasn’t witty enough(though his initial entrance was priceless), and Kozu was shouting in english. This was also too short a special for a redemption arc on Yang’s part, so that was a bit more underwhelming than I think it should’ve been. Really makes me wish this was a season rather than a one-off. Additionally, many of the lines just felt kind of off kilter and the pacing was really rushed.

The best I can think of to describe it is that it was much like a decent fan film; All of your favorite bad guys are back(For a completely contrived reason, might I add) and they’re here to SPOUT REFERENCES while trying to kill the ninja by REHASHING OLD GAGS! Oh, and that one villain that’s been kind of in the background this whole time? OH BOY, HE’S THE ONE DOING IT! So the ninja must save the day through the powers of MORAL SUPPORT and COMPLETELY CONTRIVED DEUS EX MACHINA that doesn’t actually make sense(not that the bad guy’s plan did either).

Additionally, the music randomly cuts out at some random points and features no original scores- just rehashes of older ones. The rehashing is tolerable, however, because it’s often appropriately placed alongside its respective characters. It only really bugged me when it was Yang’s turn for a scene wherein there wasn’t much material so they ended up recycling some Stone Army Arc stuff(which felt rather overdramatic for those particular scenes).

Despite all that I’d still recommend watching it. The references are nice and it doesn’t actually hurt anything storywise. In fact, the only things it really changed in-universe were the undoing of Cole being a ghost(thank god) and justification of the Temple of Airjitzu’s set description. Also, it’s still Ninjago and still pretty fun to watch. There’s that too.

TL:DR As long as you suspend your disbelief, prepare for references, and don’t expect an emotional rollercoaster, you’ll probably enjoy Day of the Departed. It’s not quite up to par with standard quality, yet still manages to be a fun ride.

3 Likes