Ninjago 2016 General Discussion

White nindroids are amazing.

1 Like

I figured I’d mention something: Cole has a dual-sided face of ghost and human, by the looks of it. Maybe he can change form, rather than disappear?

1 Like

Guys! Guys! The new products are up on NINJAGO website in products section!!!:smiley:

Yep, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Indeed

They pulled a Korgot on us.

Episode 57 is out on YouTube

Could ya post th link ?

I would, but it would probably be better off if we opened a new topic for show discussion.

Sorry, can’t it just posts the words with no linking ability even when I click the link button.

Changed title to be better fitting the topic
Episode 57:

Episode 58:

1 Like

Episode 55;
The episode where every character is unlikeable, stupid or easily annoyed

[spoiler]The Ninja are now celebrities while Dareth is now shown as sexist, treating Nya differently because she is female, despite her saving the entire world last season (The Ninja did not really do anything) I get the idea of this is to emphasise Nya proving himself, however she spent the entirety of last season doing this and is now seemingly being pushed to being an object for Jay to go after. It also doesn’t sit well with me that Dareth went from being fairly likeable to this simply because a female joined the team and how he claims credit for making the Ninja famous, saying nobody cared about them saving the world in the last several seasons.

Nya then gets annoyed at the situation and rather than teaching the message that Dareth was in the wrong for his viewpoint, Misako just tells Nya to ignore it and believe in herself instead. This moral could work, except here Dareth is supposed to be her friend and the friend of Misako, Wu and the Ninja’s. While it would make sense for how to deal with the world saying things, when its a former friend doing this, you think she could try and talk with him. Though i suppose Dareth already proved he wouldn’t listen claiming “You do your job and I’ll do mine”

Kai meanwhile is supposed to be emphasising how the Ninja were warped by fame, an aspect that could be mirrored in Dareth, yet it really comes across that he thinks less of the Ninja as a team and more that he is the most important. He doesn’t really get a punishment for this attitude during this episode other than the reveal that several of his Kai toys have been left on the ground.

Once again, similar to prior seasons, i have to question why Ghosts need train tickets or other physical items, especially when a majority of ghosts in Ninjago either have the power of flight (or as Cole demonstrates) can turn invisible - which is something that Clouse as a magician would know how to do.

Some of the lines just don’t fit in this episode - such as when Wu turns to Misako and says “I still like to think Ninjago would fall apart without us” - referring to himself and Misako rather than the Ninja who have done all the world saving up until this point while Misako and Wu have been tied to the creation of many of the bad guys. I guess this was done to emphasise the idea that if Wu and Misako were captured, then Ninjago would be doomed, yet they do so little that it doesn’t make sense.

As for the bad guy himself, the Genie kind of sucks. The whole theme of being ‘careful what you wish for’ doesn’t really seem intimidating as it just implies only those who are silly or ask a villain to grant their wish would fall for it. Why Wu presumably fell for this also despite just reading about him baffles the mind.

We also get a mention of the Genie’s lover who is mentioned as being dead, though given the image is hidden its clear that this is a character who is very likely going to end p showing up later. Possibly Nya’s mother given the head appears to have similar hair or something such as that to tie things together. Some sort of twist that ties the Ninja and the villain together.

The whole ‘framing the ninja’ and ‘imprisoning Wu and Mikaso in the teapot also seems unnecessary’ - especially when all he needed was the realm crystal which he easily acquires. Once again, a villain is given powers that should make him easily win (Given he can teleport anywhere that he has seen)

Overall, It made me dislike the Ninja a lot due to how they acted during their time as celebs along with practically every other character There was no joke’s other than the idea that the Ninja are ‘fruit coloured’ and it was not funny - along with repeating several plot aspects from prior seasons including a Ninja member being framed for a crime (Morro technically did this last season indirectly when possessing Lloyd) and Nya proving herself as a Ninja (Also last season) [/spoiler]

Episode 56;
The episode that reveals how the villain will be defeated while the Ninja are stupid

[spoiler] So after the Ninja have proved themselves unlikeable, its now an episode that has them avoid doing the smart thing and turning themselves in to explain so they could have a proper trial and instead dragging things out forcing Ronin to track them all down and capture them. This emphasises the problem with the Ninja being exiles, they could simply turn themselves in and explain instead they choose to take the hard route for no particular reason.

If they knew they were framed and that something is after the rest of them, why not prove it by turning themselves in along with the evidence that several of them discover (One of them discovers a camera display of the Genie taking on one of their forms). This entire ‘exile’ plotline could have been over here, instead its dragged out over the entire episode with them being captured and sent to prison at the end (Without the trial they could have gotten and won if they turned themselves in after finding the evidence)

Cole is also demonstrated as a moron, as he flaunts his location while hidden to Ronin. As a Ninja, he should know to keep quiet when hidden and the scene could have worked better if Ronin found him when he was invisible and silent - emphasising Ronin’s technology better along with adding a tense scene where Ronin could have found Cole.

Once again, i question how Ghosts work in Ninjago. In other seasons they have been shown as being able to pass through things and had things pass through them, yet here Cole is solid enough to be caught by some electro-whip thing. I guess this may have been made in response to the Ghost dimension issues with the previous series, yet it still bugs me its not explained.

Its this episode we also get a hint or rather overtly mentioned explanation as to how the villain will be defeated as they discuss the teapot he is stored in and then Zane discovers how to defeat the Genie. Though not mentioned, it feels obvious that breaking the teapot will either release the Genie (Making him mortal) or kill the Genie. Though chances are it’d be related to the lives trapped inside the teapot also.

I honestly don’t know what happened to the show. You have a villain that currently has no power over people as long as they don’t respond to him or do things that cause their own defeat - I’m not seeing the level of threat here.

Jay has also moved into full on ‘creepy weirdo’ status with the mention that he might force Nya to fall for him by making the Gin grant his wish. This is just disgusting in terms of what it implies yet it seems to be Jay’s main goal for finding the Genie. Its worse still because the dream only showed Nya and Jay standing together - which does not confirm them as having a relationship.

Ronin is the only character whose motivations sort of make sense - he wants money, he has a crush on Nia, he even suggests that the Ninja can simply just turn themselves in and explain. Though even his motives are thrown to the curb simply for a a fight scene. In a city as high-tech as Ninjago they should be able to have camera footage of the Ninja being elsewhere.

The Gin still doesn’t have an actual reason to go after the Ninja or to frame them, given he could have easily gotten to Wu or Misako and escaped by his ‘poofing’. All the Ninja are idiots in this episode and generally weak character. The Gin will definitely be defeated by the destruction of the teapot which has been shown twice now and its made it kind of obvious that he is still linked to it in some form. Its just so… urgh [/spoiler]

Episode 57;
The episode of missed opportunities and where the villain becomes more relatable and the Ninja are revealed to have committed genocide.

[spoiler]For one of the first times in Ninjago I’m beginning to see laziness in the animations, several characters in the jails are repeated (Not on about the nindroids or characters that could easily be repeated) but more so on about a white-haired character that is shown occupying three or four different cells.

Like a few other shows recently, it feels they are loosing touch with the target audience as we get a comment how the criminals get agitated if they don’t have their meat (clearly referring to the Ninja as the meat) and then have the warden telling them to just shake hands later on.

In an insanely massive missed opportunity the Genie uses the realm crystal to summon his crew to him immediately. Despite this being a perfect opportunity to travel through the varying realms and show-off other Lego lines, instead we just see a portal appear and a crew member arrive.

The crew is pretty bland to be honest, other than some unique pieces that would be good with sets.

• One is a snake with a peg leg
  • One is a brute-ish female
  • One is a cyborg monkey
  • One is a bad-cop esque samurai
  • One is the first-mate with a moustache.

The first-mate with the moustache is definitely connected to the death of the Genie’s lover, given that the Genie does not mention her death and the first mate seems well aware that the lover is dead.

Once again… what is up with ghosts in Ninjago? Cole apparently ate a cake filled with tools to cut through bars? We need a basic rulebook to explain what ghosts can and cannot do. Especially when a cook spits on Cole, spit contains water and ghosts can be defeated/killed by water… so… what? :L

Another mention of the possibly ‘Nya’s mother = Genie Lover’ situation as the former captain of the Destiny’s bounty seems to recognise Nya. This would also fit with the idea of Nya being a water Ninja, given pirates spend most their time at sea (or in the air in this show admittedly)

We also get it revealed that the Genie is from another realm, so their is a realm of Genie. The captains words ‘you cant wish for love, for more wishes or to harm others’ also doesn’t count with forcing the Genie to go into the teapot - so still no reason why they cannot wish him into the teapot.

Jay’s creepy obsession with forcing Nya to love him via a wish is referenced again. Zane uses a chest repulsor blast to save himself. We get a mention of the Tiger Widow (Spider from the sets?) and then the fight is over and the Ninja are put back… Their are a few dumb sequences of the Ninja or the Captain explaining that they plan to escape while the guards are right next to them.

We also learn that the Genie’s home realm is called Ginjago and get a motive for our villain to hate the Ninja… well, to be honest, our hero to hate the Ninja giving he has better motivations and a fairly noble goal while our heroes act like jerks with the sole motive of stopping the Genie.

Its revealed the Ninja have doomed every realm to destruction as destroying the cursed realm has activated a domino affect that is destroying each other realm. That’s right, our Ninja have not only committed genocide on the cursed realm, but also every other realm. First the cursed realm, then Ginjago, then the next and the next… Its worth noting given Chima is one of these realms that this decision was probably done to write-off Chima as a dead theme while giving the Ninja more motives and attaching the viewers to the villain.

This is also why the tone of Ninjago doesn’t work as we have Lloyd loudly announcing their plan as they escape. The serious aspects from before such an almost jail mugging. Which includes Cole sliding down a sewer pipe full of water, he doesn’t land in the pool at the bottom, but its still getting ridiculous. Nya’s mother is revealed as the Gin’s lover as the episode ends… [/spoiler]

Episode 58;
The episode where a Ninja accidentally kills someone and a great concept is lost

So admittedly this one seems a little more normal, other than the goofy nature of things i can buy the episode up until Nya and Jay are alone. At this stage, Nya, who is still being hunted takes off her hat and moustache revealing herself completely to everyone yet nobody recognises the Ninja on the run?

Nya then explains she doesn’t want to be defined by who she is with, however the ways it phrased in the conversation seems to imply that is the only reason she isn’t dating Cole or Jay at the moment. Which means she is letting it define who she is regardless and forces Jay into the friend-zone.

Jay seems to momentarily accept this and then whines loudly about he cannot be with Nya, saying he wishes he never saw their future together. Despite the Genie granting every other wish that has been unintentional, he doesn’t grant this wish - so according to prior episodes, this is an error.

The Genie then repeats aspects of the conversation to convince Jay to make wishes. At which stage he makes several wishes all at once;

1 I wish i never saw my future
2 I wish i wasn’t born in a junkyard
3 I wish i wasn’t poor anymore and could give Nya everything she wants

By my count this should mean that he should be bottled by the Gin, instead he’s not. In addition this wish makes Jay adopted and reveals that he was actually born in a mansion and is now wealthy. In terms of twisted wishes, this one is not too bad other than the death of Jay’s idol, Prince Donegan - and doesn’t really acknowledge it. At which point the Genie arrives offering a second wish… despite this being Jay’s fourth.

4 I wish i wasn’t alone with you

Seriously, this is one of the largest plotholes I’ve seen in Ninjago. Especially when Jay prevents one of the other Ninja from making a wish when the Genie is not around, if wishing when the Genie is not around can still be taken as a wish, then his own wish when the Genie was around should have been counted.

We also get some more dumb scenes as the pirates attack, Nya wears a mask then removes it for no reason other than to make the first mate pause for a second (still sure he killed Nya’s mother/Genie’s lover) and the bigfig pirate claiming she is a lady despite saying she wasn’t a lady the previous episode (yes i get it that she’s saying she is a woman, but why not say that instead when she clarified she wasn’t lady-like in the previous episode)

Kai is captured and rather than doing the smart thing and not saying ‘i wish’ he makes three wishes and ends up captured in the sword. The sword currently having at least four souls (Clouse, Wu, Misako and Kai). Admittedly i can see this as a good punishment for Kai’s actions in the opening episode and his general self-obsessed nature.

The realm crystal is also destroyed as Cole is shot at yet the bullet goes through him, why the whips didn’t do the same thing is not answered. With the realm crystal destroyed, as mentioned in the prior season, all the realms should be under threat from the same destruction of the cured realm and Genjago, especially given the crystal was supposed to support all the realms. It also removes the main interesting idea of Ninjago, the idea of crossovers with other brands/realms.

I guess this is the way of wiping the slate clean, having all these realms destroyed and wished back by Jay who will probably sacrifice himself in later episodes using his final wish. Though wishing the realms back will probably cause changes, just leaving things open for the movie where the results of his wish end up causing the events that lead into the film, with all prior villains now being alive and back again.

1 Like

The episodes are coming out… I suppose it’s about that time! :smile:

Let’s talk about the show!

Here’s what we have so far for anyone who hasn’t seen them yet.

And, continued…

I’m personally really enjoying this season. The sheer amount of callbacks is really quite fantastic and I like all of the characters so far. My only complaint so far is that Nya’s getting handed the cringe plot again. :confused:

Oh, if only it was only that bad. No, one of the guards CLEARLY REACTS TO HEARING LLOYD TELL THE PLAN and then does nothing about it.

~W12~

1 Like

That one wasn’t a wish it was just before and Nadakhan didn’t grant it. He also states in the mansion after Nya arrives that Jay has 1 more wish.

No, Djinjago was the “sister realm” to the Cursed realm, which is why it was falling apart. No other realms should get destroyed because of the Cursed Realm’s destruction.

[spoiler] Each realm is mentioned as being connected, the implication i got was that each realm is liked with Ginjago being the sister realm of the cursed realm.

E.g. Cursed Realm → Ginjago → Ninjago

As the episodes appear to be demonstrating as after the destruction of the cursed realm, Ginjago was affected followed now by Ninjago.

With the destruction of the realm crystal all realms are doomed to face destruction as demonstrated by the ending of Enkrypted [/spoiler]

It should count as a wish given that Misako also made a wish just before. If its the Gennies intention to get people to make 3 wishes then why would he ignore two of Jay’s wishes… Plus Nadahkhan was actually there at the time listening to everything. They shouldn’t count something as a wish under one set of circumstances and then do the same set of circumstances and just don’t count it as a wish.

Plus ‘I wish i wasn’t born in a junkyard’ was a separate wish to ‘i wis i wasn’t poor anymore and could give Nya everything she wanted’ and then the third wish would still be ‘i wish i wasn’t alone with you’

Either way, by the show’s logic, Jay should be out of wishes. Instead he’s not because he’s the main character the story is following this series along with Nya.

Uh guys i think episode 59 is out.

link?

uh youtube