Ninjago Movie Discussion (and Speculation) Topic

too bad, because they do, it’s 170$

and they have already sold +12

The percentage on Rotten Tomatoes isn’t a rating. When writing a review on Rotten Tomatoes, the reviewer basically says whether they think the review was ‘good’ or ‘bad’. The percentage shown is what percentage of people thought it was ‘good.’ So TLNM getting a 48% basically means that opinions are split in half.

And is your review spoiler-y? I’d like to hear your thoughts, but I don’t want to spoil the movie for myself.

I get that the Tomatometer is technically not a rating of the movie, however, from my experience, it’s still treated as such. I.e., if 90% of reviewers like it, it’s probably a pretty good film, whereas if 50% of reviewers like it, you might want to choose something else to watch. It also doesn’t help that 13 of RT’s 22 top critics found it a negative experience.

There may be some minor spoilers in the joke section; however, those spoilers are a discussion about the differences between the way one particular joke plays out in the trailer and in the film, and which I prefer. Otherwise, it should be completely spoiler-free.

2 Likes

i did not see the movie, but i have purchased the game and is playing it now.

And i found an easter egg to the original Ninjago theme in a buildable boombox that plays “the weekend whip”. Ninjago’s main theme song.

2 Likes

You basically just described the show, which is what I figured.

Just got back. Solid 7.5 to 8 out of 10. Not terrible, but doesn’t live up to the previous two.

[spoiler] So, if anyone is disappointing that the other Ninja were relegated to background characters, I wasn’t surprised. Just based on the trailers I got the feeling that they weren’t really going to be there except to be there. Is it unfortunate? Yes, but I wasn’t surprised.
I was a little bit annoyed that the end of the film is basically exactly the same as the end to The LEGO Movie, and feel that it actually really drags the film down. Some might say that Jackie Chan’s live-action portions of the film were unnecessary, but that’s not the case. If you’re a studio and you get Jackie Chan, you’re not just going to let him be a voice. His portions of the film didn’t add anything, sure, but at least I bet it made the studio happy. The film was gorgeous as always, so was really happy with that. Overall, I really enjoyed it minus it’s drawbacks.

“If I ever see that goat again, we’re going to have words. And there are going to be some four letter ones. And I’m not talking about goat.”[/spoiler]

7 Likes

Most if not a vast majority of critics never even seen anything from Ninjago, so their enjoyment of the movie is going to be less than for someone who is into it.

This movie is primarily for fans, Its just the fanbase is concentrated inside LEGO related media and is not as well known as comic book super heroes like Batman.

Lego Movie was for LEGO culture in general, not a specific theme inside the LEGO culture with its own story and lore.

PS: Disney screwed over LEGO movie division by taking away its best movie writers for Han Solo movie,only to later fire them wasting time for what could have been used for Ninjago and LEGO Movie 2.

5 Likes

I went to see the movie, and I thought it was great! There was a nice blend of humor and serious, and the visuals were amazing. The ninja and their mechs were especially dynamic.

And I loved what they did with the story, especially with the Garmadons’ relationship, I think it was quite touching for a kids’ film.

“Your Mom wanted the best out of me, and the best for you.”

I think the main problem was some, at times, odd pacing, with it being a little fast for my liking. And the other 5 ninja, that weren’t Lloyd, didn’t have as much characterization as I would’ve liked.

6 Likes

If a theatrical film can only connect with a niche fanbase while presenting itself to the masses, then I’d say it’s failed as a movie. You can’t just focus on the preexisting fans, as they’re not nearly enough people to get a good return on your investment.

That being said, I do agree that TLNM will likely be a better film if you’re viewing it from the fan perspective.

13 Likes

That’s exactly why movies like Transformers alienate fans a lot so they can actually make more money and guarantee sequels. I think NinjaGo actually does a decent job of selling it to ordinary people by focusing on Lloyd and Garmadon. Sell them on those two, and then maybe for a LEGO NinjaGo Movie: Enter Subtitle Here Because a ‘2’ Would Look and Sound A Bit Weird you can open it up to focus on the other Ninja. Or, sell general audiences on NinjaGo by focusing on Lloyd and Garmadon, and get them to watch the TV show, get into the expanded lore, and buy even MORE toys!

Besides, we know LEGO doesn’t care about anyone besides Lloyd anyway, so…

3 Likes

It does seem like LEGO is trying to funnel moviegoers into the greater Ninjago brand with all the changes made to the show in light of the movie. But before that can happen you’ve gotta appeal to both the newbies and the old-timers when making a theatrical movie. If TLNM falls flat with general audiences, it has failed to make good on it’s entire purpose.

1 Like

Lego Ninjago Movie tried to appeal to general audiences by doing some short of reboot of the original story so someone who doesn’t know anything about the show, will understand it’s main unique atmosphere.
I somehow noticed that the general ratings recently always stop at 7/10 or 7.5/10 doesn’t go higher nor lower.
Am I the only one who spotted a reference to the new coming Sons Of Garmadon season for next year?

1 Like

So should I see it. Yay or nay?

1 Like

I’d say go for it. The pacing’s a bit odd at times, but the overall movie is enjoyable and satisfying.

2 Likes

Lego Ninjago Movie Video Game Launch Trailer

1 Like

i have now completed the story mode of Ninjago the movie video game and there are infact more refrences to the Weekend Whip in the game (i found two more) in a later stage in the game, Garmadon will sing the lyrics of the weekend whip and later the Ninja join in, and in the first area of the game, there is an unlockable place you can find that has a more 8-bit sounding version of the weekend whip being played in a mini game.

Would it be safe to say that the LCU is more a thematic series, like Final Fantasy, or it has a series of different continuities within itself that may or may not overlap?

2 Likes

I get where you’re going with this. Obviously TLM and TLNM tell stories relating to different characters. I don’t know if this was ever confirmed, but I don’t think anyone has explicitly stated that any of the three films thus far have been technically connected other than the fact that they have Lego characters/worlds. I guess you could make the argument that TLBM Batman seems like the same character as TLM Batman, but even that has never been specifically addressed. I’m not 100% sure I’d like this approach for Lego movies though, as Final Fantasy is a totally different property than the Lego movies, that being said, it could possibly work and be really cool.

Also come and talk to me about Final Fantasy anytime :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s been confirmed that he is, and his experiences in his movie will evident in TLM2. Also, vortex under Gotham is the same as in TLM.

I could see this being in TLM universe, but with it being told by the shopkeeper, I could see it being entirely separate, since Finn doesn’t seem to be anywhere. Although, they could make the shopkeeper his maternal grandpa or something to keep it in. That Garmadon technician was wearing a Batman ■■■■■.

2 Likes

Ah, well if that’s the case than the LCU definitely isn’t aiming to make every movie a self contained story.