Official BIONICLE: Journey to One Discussion Topic

Even at that, Lord of the Rings had a lot of material based off Beowulf, and I don’t think it’s better or worse because of it.
It’s like saying “Maybe Lord of the Rings would be better if Tolkien just ripped off Beowulf more”.
Just like a lot of things, I just come to like it. I see what’s wrong with it, but it doesn’t fill me with such burning anger that I have to post in on the boards.

3 Likes

I thought it was okay. The 2015 animations definitely did better, even though they told a story in even less time, and they were even more rushed.

4 Likes

I thought it was decent. I mean, it’s certainly not the best thing to come out of BIONICLE, but it also isn’t the worst. Remember TLR?

I think the Skull Spiders are more dangerous than the Skull Warriors, seeing as how the Skull Spiders can take over people while the Protectors could just shatter (in RoSS) the Skull Warriors since they’re just wandering about.

Yes. The animations were really good, actually. Imagine an entire TV show in that style. Although I did like TJtO’s style.

Your point on the Skull power hierarchy makes some sense, now that I think about it.

If not for the fact that 2009 was my first year of Bionicle, I’d agree with you about TLR. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What about Ninjago it’s good I think.

1 Like

Ninjago IS good, yes. But it also is full of contradictions and plot-holes. And the sets don’t help the story at all, they tend to just force in more contrived messes into the plot.

Let’s not pretend like toy based stories aren’t without contradictions or contrived story points just to shoehorn a set in there. G1 was just as bad as Ninjago when it came to that and you all know it. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Unless we all want to act like Mazeka was uber useful, or that Toa Ignika was just an AMAZING addition)

5 Likes

Yes, but that does not make Ninjago or JTO any better. Honestly…I think Hero Factory handled it the best, “upgrading” was a big part of the plot for HF, Whereas everything else tried and failed to tiptoe and shoehorn stuff in.

1 Like

At the cost of a grand sweeping story and an expanding cast of interesting characters. You always have to sacrifice something, these are toy based stories afterall. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is trying and failing better then not trying at all?

(And to call Ninjago or G2 grand and sweeping with interesting characters is simply overselling them. Furno is far more developed then anyone in G2, and if anything the characters in Ninjago have gone downhill in recent times.)

1 Like

I haven’t been talking about G2 sooo. :stuck_out_tongue:

G1 and Ninjago are pretty close in terms of plot focus and character development.

2 Likes

EEEEEHHHHH…

G1 seemed to embrace explaining the sets, Ninjago just ignored a lot of it. They explained about three Ninja suits and a set of shoulder pads. From what we know the Ultra stealth raider was only explained in the books.

So it really depends on which one you prefer.

2 Likes

BIONICLE G1 explanations were often pretty meh at best. I mean, look at protodermis. Why was that a thing? That’s a pretty convoluted and unecessary way of introducing new armors and masks. It doesn’t help that it had a hard time deciding what its own properties were. Seems like a bit of nostlagia. :stuck_out_tongue:

Guys, we’re getting off-topic.

1 Like

Actually, No. I only got invested and really into G1 a bit before G2 was a rumor. I say that they embraced it because they seemed to actually care, while Ninjago just does not bother to explain it.

Sure Protodermis was first a cheap upgrade, but it became so much more, it became a world-building tool with a bunch of different uses. Have we heard from anything in Ninjago again? Elemental weapons? Deepstone? Techno-blades? How about the dozens of vehicles that fell in and out of obscurity. There are times when they are not even mentioned in more then one episode.

I would wager that HF did toy-tie ins the best, as they could easily explain it and everything that came along. Bionicle did it pretty okay, yet some were a bit contrived. And Ninjago…tries and fails. They try to explain some things, yet the explanations generally lacking.

Could you please move this discussion to the proper thread (whatever that might be)

Or you could just continue this on a new topic? I don’t think there’s a “Bionicle vs. Ninjago” topic anywhere. Perhaps you can make one.

1 Like

Should we start a kickstarter to get William Jordan to record more Makuta lines?

1 Like

lee tocker was better

I understand this could be said in a joking way but why? What would the lines be

1 Like

“I’m Makootie, the Bionic Man.”

10 Likes

The BS01 podcast had him hint that he could possibly be around for another interview in the future. If anything, I would like him and Michael Dorn (voice of Mata Nui) to reprise their roles for a brief dub over some of their characters’ dialogue in Journey’s End from G1.