Official Trend Topic Guidelines and Discussion

If only I new about this… I normally don’t go clicking on the rules and guideline things since I normally just read other peoples topics… Now I’m sad :cry:

I’m not surprised. No one ever does.

Quite honestly, I guarantee life would be beautiful all the time if people here actually read the rules to the stupid site they’re on.

At least the pinned stuff.

I mean, we pin it for a reason.

8 Likes

I did!

I do this, kinda. However, I check to see if someone else has done something before I do.

That, and I usually am way too hesitant to do anything against the rules anyway.

1 Like

so uh. i didn’t quite understand; are Ask topics allowed?

Like, you starting up your own Q&A topic for yourself?

No. That’s not allowed.

Okay.

Are you calling the message boards stupid?
Goodness, that isn’t very nice.

4 Likes

Uh…what?

Apologies, that was meant to quote Nyran. I’ll edit :smiley:

2 Likes

So Honorable Admin @Scarilian, tell me again why

This topic is causing a lot of “appreciation” topics to appear, and thus is a trend topic

is happening? Okay, I can understand closing newer ones. But why close the old ones? It was never done in the past. The mods would just close the new topics, and the trend would die out.

1 Like

I have to agree. We shouldn’t be closing older topics that came long before a newly established rule.

Besides, the Mod Appreciation topic didn’t start the garlic bread thing. The garlic Appreciation topic had an arbitrary origin.

3 Likes

Other staff members in the past have been very strict on closing trend topics, as such to be fair, I’ve decided to treat all trend topics the same. Even those that started the trend should still be viewed the same, especially when they were iffy to begin with. This prevents people complaining that they are being singled out or that their topic has a right to exist because it is slightly older than the others that exist.

So if a user creates a perfectly viable topic, and several users “copy” it, the original post will be shut down?

1 Like

In this case their was no perfectly viable topic. The ‘Mod appreciation topic’ was a topic that served to ego boost and was itself a copy of a prior appreciation topic originally made by a staff member. Neither in this case were supposed to have been allowed, was just a situation where it was let slide because the second one was user created.

In the situation where a future trend topic started has any value in being left then it will be judged accordingly, but in this situation I am unsure why you and others are annoyed about an inactive duplicated trend topic being closed?

I’m not referring to these topics when I talk about “perfectly viable” topics. I’m referring to future theoretical topics. As an admin, you are setting the precedent for all the Boards.

As I said, future topics will be judged on their own merit. Once again, this is the same action taken as other staff members prior. They set the precedent, I am simply following it.

Out of curiosity, what staff instances are you referring to?

The closing of multiple trend topics including ‘Ask The…’, ‘Vote For…’, ‘Admiration’, ‘I hate…’ You can find them listed in this thread.

There are a ton of examples closed by staff prior. The admiration topic for example essentially being the same as the appreciation topics now and those came several months prior yet were still closed.

Yes, but the original topic was not closed in those instance a. For example, the “ask the _____” topics were a large reason behind this topic’s creation. My original "“Ask the Polititian” topic was the reason behind the trend, yet was never closed. I believe it was the same for the other topics.