Official TTV MOC Contest #2: Brickonicle

I am so entering this.

I just joined the message board and form what I see I like the community so far and I’m definitely in for the competition though this is my first custom set and I’m gonna be honest I don’t think I’m gonna win. Good Luck to all who are entering and may the best builder and most creative builder win!

5 Likes

This’ll be very interesting and challenging. Does the set have to include minifigures of some variety or could I use a sort of a mixel build, with the small ball and socket joints, to create the characters?

1 Like

The latter is acceptable, certainly. We’re open to interesting interpretations.

Is the use of 3D printed custom parts, such as masks of Toa who haven’t been represented in the system form, prohibited?

You may use custom 3D printed pieces.

2 Likes

Thank you, so many ideas have already come flooding in!

I´ve had some ideas for how a bionicle minifigure´s mask should work so I´ll try to throw something together if I´m not too busy

Can minifigs be either built out of model joints or use custom heads/masks? And can we paint them?

I don’t see too much of a conceptual difference except between 3D printed stuff and custom parts ordered online. Painting has also been allowed.

Though, Eljay said above that the cast does not want any submissions with Mega Construx or other knockoff brands so the part in question needs to be designed for Lego.

Though since I’m not a cast member, I may be wrong.

Can we use LDD? I would really like to use LDD, because I used a lot of parts for my previous MOCS. Eljay, please reply.

@Eljay In the presentation there was a part where one of the questions designers ask themselves when making a set is whether or not a seven year-old can built the set. I am also aware that LEGO designers have to have restrictions in their designs and the amount of parts they use, however, LEGO Star Wars has an “Ultimate Collectors Series” line where these restrictions are handled much more liberally and the final model ends up more detailed, has a much more dense build, and is intended for older builders.

My question is:

Are we allowed to make “Ultimate Collectors Series” type sets for this contest?

1 Like

I’m really hyped to get into this! I have two questions though:

-since bionicle minifigs are not very common due to the low amount of system based sets, is it allowed to make “human” representations of characters using the standard minifigure format of legs, torso, head, and then a helmet to function as their kanohi mask?

-if you make a set based in the early years, so 2001-2003, should you use the older brown and gray colors, to make it more authentic, or does this not matter?

1 Like

if you live outside the north american can you give the $40 first prise bit to someone else?

Yes and yes.

Please check the first post for the answer to this question.

Yes.

1. Yes.
  2. It doesn’t matter.

I’m not entirely sure at the moment. We’ll need to give that some thought.

1 Like

So how exactly do I enter? Where do I post my set pics and all? And are videos allowed as a description (cause I have so many mechanics in my head right now that I would really like to utilize in the set that would be better seen in action)?

Refer to the first post to learn how to enter. Also, I will allow videos that show the functions, but pictures are required.

Hey Eljay, quick question for you, if you don’t mind.

Say I make a brickbuilt figure in my set, but don’t want to use preexisting HF masks or G1 Bionicle minifig heads, can I use a blank minifig head in the set renders or pictures and also include artwork of proposed mask/helmet designs for reference?

By the way, this contest idea is awesome! I’m really looking forward to seeing some of the submissions!

Okay, I got another question.

Obviously, this contest is system bionicle, but could we use contraction elements in these 'sets?'
For example, could I include a thornax launcher for a turret, or a mask for a sculpture. Or, even more so, the giant shields/ mahri daggers that were used for actual Bionicle system sets?

I’m actually gonna say no to this one. It needs to have some form of helmet/mask/custom head/previously used head/etc.

Yes.

1 Like