Okotan Adventures: Spider Saga

“Ah… yes? I’m not really sure. Look, I want to help you guys, but at the same time, I want to help my friend, and also at the same time make sure he can live on his own. He’s an adult! He needs to be able to fend for himself, and that’s ultimately what I’m trying to do! I just… did it really wrong. I screwed up.”

“Exactly! You screwed it up! Now you have to choose: you fix what you just messed up, or you ‘help’ some strangers that don’t even need your help!”

1 Like

“I’m doing both.” Streke decided quickly.
“I’m sure he’s still in the city… he’d notify me somehow if he was going to leave.”

“How could he notify you if he has no idea where you are?!”

Meanwhile, Rena and her group arrived at the City Gates.
@BlackBeltGamer98 @meepinater @Jcton

1 Like

Dakron stopped behind Rena, waiting patiently.

“OK, guys. So this is the plan: I expect to find Andhera at the Dark Crater. Mina will follow us in the sky.” she said, pointing to the owl that was flying high above them. “If we have problems, I will call Vladin or Athena or whoever is available. If we don’t find him there… Well… I will compose a backup plan on the way to the crater. What do you all think?”

“It sounds like a solid plan.” Blaze answered.

“Good. Now… I think I got a map somewhere here.” she said, trying to open the backpack with her hand without taking it off. It would be quite difficult.

“May I?” Blaze asks, offering to fish for the map.

Her arms comically fell down around her body.
“Yeah, sure.”

Blaze opens the pack and fishes around for a map.

Rena quickly took it.
“Thanks.”
She studied it for a few seconds, before putting it back into a side pocket of the backpack.
“OK. I now know where the crater is. Let’s go.” she said, exiting the city.

“No problem.” Blaze said as he tried helping Dakron keep up with him and Rena.

“So, we have two ways. The first one is through the Water Region, then to the mountains that separate the Water and Stone Regions, and then parallel to the said mountain chain till we reach a frequently used road that ends in the overall area of the crater. The second one is through the border mountains till the Region of Stone, through the desert, till the Crater. I would choose the first one.”

“Go halfway around the island or make a beeline through the central mountains and need to do a lot of risky hikes and climbs…” Blaze wondered out loud.

“Thoughts, Dakron?” He asked. (@meepinater)

"Not including the desert. Also, it’s not really halfway around the island. More like one third.

“Still, do we take the direct route and cut through Skull Raider and Skull Spider territory or take the safer, longer route around the central mountains?” He asked again.

He definitely wanted to take the direct route because it meant less travel time, in theory, and wouldn’t be as likely to mess with Dakron’s sense of direction because water travel can disorient one’s sense of gravity.

The building is a bit too far away to see that; it is quite a nice-looking building though, the architecture a fluid combination of wood and stone reminiscent of ancient times. The market is overflowing with traders haggling their wares and villagers chattering amongst themselves.

“Hey, firebrand!” The call comes from Jevis’s right, where a green and teal Okotan stands in front of a booth piled high with fish. “Come, try some fish! Caught fresh from Lake Karian; bet you won’t find this good a deal anywhere else!”

Ekimu nods to himself as the elemental being departs. He takes a deep breath, holds it for one second, two… at a count of three he lets it out. He then turns to the captain of the guards.

“I have more favors to ask of you, if I may.”

“Of course, sir,” she says, bowing her head. “What can we do for you?”

“I have several items to be fetched from my Forge. First, a Mask of Stone.” He looks at the city sadly. “It’s about time I started making amends for yesterday’s events.” The captain moves to start barking orders and Ekimu raises a hand, stopping her. “Apologies; I wasn’t finished. At my Forge you should find a being known as the Collected. They… can be quite the handful. However, if you explain that I have summoned them, they should be responsive. Mentioning that Blaze is expected to be here should also be of help. Which brings me to my third point: if you see my apprentice during your trip, please extend my summons to him. We have an unfinished conversation.” He provides the guards with descriptions of both Blaze and the collected and a quartet of guards hurries off for the Temple of Creation. (@KAI_BORG)

Ekimu then turns to Azure and Hitora. “I must thank you both for your assistance, both last night and today. This city wouldn’t be half as safe without you. That being said, I’m afraid I must ask more of you. There are many tasks ahead of us all, but first: do you have contacts that may be able to assist with a task such as the mission to collect the Golden Masks?” (@Runa @Tarkur)

2 Likes

“Look, the first route is longer, but safer. The second one is shorter, but at least three times as dangerous.”

As the guards depart, Gladius slowly begins stalking forward, mostly in the interest to figure out what the heck just happened, but quickly dispelled the thought from his mind when he heard ‘golden masks’ which was also all he heard.

He stored his sword as he approached to signal his arrival, if his clanking armour wasn’t enough.

1 Like