Okotan Adventures: Spider Saga

Hitora went in, looking for Pheore or Vizuna.

2 Likes

Jaspar laughs nervously, unable to help but smile back. “So, uh, when would you be ready to leave? It’s maybe half a day to the nearest Gukko station, if I remember correctly, then another hour or two to the City of the Mask Makers, then another half a day south to where Tathel lives, I think.” His focus drifts off into space as he speaks, his finger waggling in the air as he mentally totals up the distances. “So if you really felt like it we could be there tonight. Or we could spend some time in the City of the Mask Makers; there’s always something to do there.”

Ekimu fixes him with a flat, serious stare.

“I need your solemn word, on whatever you hold most dear, that you would not make a nuisance of yourself if I were to open up this door.”

The city is vibrant and bustling, villagers armored in vibrant hues of green, blue, and yellow going about their day-to-day activities. Much of the city is sat on solid foundations of stone, architecture and styling belying an age hidden by diligent maintenance. Stone walkways arch in between massive trees and above murky swamp below, weaving up and down as they crisscross the city. The architecture makes it hard to establish any sort of focal point, elegant stone facades mixed with modern wooden constructs in equal numbers. The entire city might feel like a maze to the travelers, to the point that it might seem crazy that the locals navigate with any degree of confidence. One thing is for sure: there’s no sign of Pheore or Vizuna. @Ghid @KAI_BORG @Tarkur

2 Likes

As The Collected entered the crowded city he seemed to… bristle. A noticeable amount of ‘twitchiness’, such as rapid flickering of pupils, twitching of eyelids, and continuous fiddling with his weapon’s grip as he entered the crowds.

1 Like

“Well, if I’m getting a whole tour, I might as well stop and smell the roses a bit… I’d say I’ll go get my things, but… I don’t really have things to get… Because, y’know, uh… spiders… ugh…”

2 Likes

After a while of searching, Hitora sighed and sat on a bench, Keya sitting beside him. “I don’t think they’re here.” He says.

Keya, calmly, gets up and goes to ask someone. “Hey, have you seen Vizuna around here? Or some other chick going looking for him?”

1 Like

The crowds part around The Collected, giving him plenty of space. A few people cast weary glances over their shoulders, but most seem content to put memories of the stranger behind them.

“Eh?” The villager regards her with no small amount of annoyance. “Why would I know where the Protector is?” Another villager puts her hand on his shoulder, stepping around him to join the conversation.

“Sorry,” the second villager says,“we don’t really know. He’s always off helping in some other part of the region, you know? But, uh… maybe you could ask the elders? You’ll have to wait for a bit, but if it’s urgent I’m sure it would be worth it. Would you guys like some directions?” The first villager crosses his arms with a humph.

Jaspar’s face falls once more. “Ilza, I… I’m so sorry about that. We’ll get you right back home after we see Tathel, okay?”

As the two talk, Lync crosses the room once more, now laden with gear. She considers stopping by once more, but no, she had already said goodbye. She makes her way back to the center of town, hopefully finding Kryuna and Hiraeth once more. @TheMOCingbird @Axels

2 Likes

“Yes please.” Keya said. “And I’m sorry for bugging, we’d just heard that this was the last place Ekimu knew he was heading to.”

Hitora listened carefully to what she was going to say.

1 Like

“No, really, it’s not a problem,” she says. Her attention seems drawn to the mention of Ekimu’s name. “So, uh…” She proceeds to explain that the city wasn’t as complicated it seemed. Really, you just needed to remember a few main things. She seems to have quite the generous definition of “a few”, but who’s counting? The elders work out of a platform built into the branches of a tree in the center of the city, she explains. Technically it’s faster to follow a more direct path, but the directions they would need to remember to do so far exceed that of a more winding route.

“Get all that?” she asks.

1 Like

“…I think so.” Keya said, as Hitora already starts off in this direction. She looks at him, then back at the two nice people. “He means thank you.” She says as she starts to follow Hitora.

3 Likes

“N-no, it’s okay… it’s… there were… th-there were so many… a-and… y-you couldn’t- I… I think I-I’m gonna go back to my room now.” She gets up abruptly from her seat. She’s trembling.

“I-I’ll- you- bye!” And with that, she runs off.

3 Likes

“No problem!” the villager replies cheerily. “Have a nice day!” Her partner mutters something that sounds suspiciously like ‘good riddance’, and the sounds of an argument fade behind them as they make their way through the city. The simple route really isn’t too hard to follow… should they have the patience to do so.

Jaspar stands, reaching out as if to grab the fleeing Okotan. He holds the pose for a moment, jaw working furiously without making a sound. Then he slumps back into his seat, burying his mask in his hands.

4 Likes

Kryuna simply went to get what little gear she had brought, and then returned to the center of town, looking over the different shops and such, but not actually buying anything… Kryuna always was the type to come under prepared on a journey, but she preferred the term ‘packing light’.

2 Likes

For a couple of seconds a sinister light jumped into the Storm’s eyes as the realization of the simplicity of the question entered his mind, and how easily he could manipulate it. Then he remembered how cold Ekimu’s hammer was on the back of his skull.

Fearing he’d slip back into another spiral of guilt, he quick asked a second question.

“Is that it? Just don’t cause trouble? No sort of, go on a quest to save the priceless something or-”

He proceeded to bite his tongue - hard - as he had just made it worse for himself.[quote=“Runa, post:2890, topic:47931, full:true”]
“…I think so.” Keya said, as Hitora already starts off in this direction. She looks at him, then back at the two nice people. “He means thank you.” She says as she starts to follow Hitora.
[/quote]

Gladius stood lifeless during the conversation, and quickly caught up to Hitora and Keya. “Charming folk around here.” He mused, looking back at the Collected. “Although maybe they have a reason. Now, I’m clearly too old to have heard anything properly, so you lead the way.”

Gladius slowed until he was alongside the Collected as he followed the pair.

1 Like

Hitora does his best to follow the directions, and eventually, he would arrive at the platform they were told about, looking for the elders.

1 Like

Ekimu can’t help but chuckle. “Now, no reason to get ahead of ourselves. I simply thought it was foolish to impede our conversation as such without good reason. Now, do I have your word?”

There is in fact a platform suspended in the trees not far overhead.

There’s also a line.

The plaza below the platform is filled with some thirty-odd Okotans, sitting on benches. The villagers present are male and female, old and young, armed with books and swords alike. What they all share is a grim, solemn edge.

As the travelers arrive, a lift is lowered from above. A villager steps off, and the guard aboard the lift calls for whoever’s next to step forward. Those waiting look around, determining whether it’s their turn or not.

1 Like

Don’t like this. Don’t like them. Don’t like the people. The crowd. The danger.” The Collected hissed, his voice oddly… stilted as he seemingly began muttering to both Gladius and himself now that the former had approached.

They’re wrong. Hiding. Darkened. They don’t like us. They see us yet don’t. Don’t trust them. Don’t trust this place. There’s too many threats. Too many around us. Can’t protect from all.
Too much danger. Hate it. Can feel them watching. Feel the darkness. The eyes. The disdain. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it! Want to remove them all. Remove the threats. The eyes. The people. Hate it.

3 Likes

Hitora walks over to the group in the plaza. “What’s with the holdup here?” He asks, slightly impatient, ready to get back to trying to find his friend.

…Oh, and the Protector. That was probably important, too.

2 Likes

The Storm performed one of the longest sighs ever recorded on the history of the planet.

Here we go…

“Only thing I value is my life.” He mused. “But I think you knew that. On my life you have my word, I will not cause any form of terror on Okoto unjustified.”

He attempted in vain to turn his head to perform a sidelong look at Ekimu. “You were… Saying?”[quote=“Runa, post:2898, topic:47931”]
“What’s with the holdup here?” He asks.
[/quote]

Gladius leaned in imminently. He tried to ignore the Collected as much as humanly possible.

3 Likes

“I figure I should say something to mark the occasion,” Said the wolf as he admired the Fire crystal," Something clever and punny so I sound menacing as I commit this egregious crime. I suppose someone more clever would have some sort of witty remark to say, a burning irony of sorts. Heh, burning irony. I don’t even suppose that it matters what I say, I’m the only one to hear it. Whatever the case, Blaze, I hope this house burns as hot as the hellish afterlife you’re going to. "

2 Likes

Ekimu nods, and the door swings open. The Mask Maker stands beyond, hammer in hand. However, he’s left enough room for the Lord to stretch his legs, should he so choose.

“I admit, this is not an idea I like to entertain. However, I seem to be faced with less of a choice with each day that passes. I cannot afford to pass up a potential ally, and whether I enjoy the notion or not, you fall into that category. At that, I offer you a choice. You can sit inside this dungeon until I conceive of a better way to contain you… or you can help the people of Okoto in their hour of need.”

The assembled villagers shoot him confused looks, some bordering on angry.

“The Elders can’t see everyone at once,” the guard calls from across the plaza. “Take a seat, it’ll be your turn soon enough.”

1 Like