Pacific Rim: Uprising

They’re big gross aliens, they do their job well.

Personally I don’t care too much for them. They just feel really, eh to me. They’re not as charismatic and memorable as the ones from the first movie. They’re fine for what they are. Its not that I actively dislike them. They’re just not up to par with the kaiju from the first movie.

2 Likes

I pretty much agree. The first one had such varied Kaiju, it’s hard to really follow that up well.

2 Likes

I agree, the newer Kaiju are very Kaiju-esque but they are not unique, I’m not gonna be able to tell them apart but they all do look good.

2 Likes

You know, I think I just figured out the problem. The issue with the kaiju isn’t much the designs themselves, but how they’re presented. In the first movie, each and every kaiju got its own time in the spot light. They all got their individual moment to shine. Even in the double event, both Otachi and Leatherback got their own scenes. And each monster encounter was spaced out enough so that each kaiju was very memorable. But from what we’ve seen in the trailers, all the monsters seem to all be grouped together, in one big city brawl scene. I’m sure it’ll be different in the movie proper, but it as of now, it is a problem.

1 Like

I think that’s because these Kaiju are going to become one mega-Kaiju so they aren’t gonna show off the pieces, they will mostly likely spotlight the fusion Kaiju Jaegers however.

Oh yeah. Forgot about those. The thing is, in the last movie the conflict was very basic and easy to understand. All of humanity vs the giant monsters. Now with this, there’s humans who let more kaiju in, and there’s also cyborg kaiju, and a lot more to keep track of.

1 Like

I think it may still be Kaiju vs Humans but maybe with a sort of similar scenario to DOOM 2016. In DOOM, the UAC is willing to weaponize demons despite the clear conflict is humanity vs demons and other forces of hell.

I think this is a similar issue in some group of humans is looking at weaponizing Kaiju due to their belief that Kaiju are the superior weapon to a Jaeger, some being augmented to improve them further. Then the Kaiju go rogue and open a breach again because the group of humans didn’t properly understand how they functioned.

Maybe the humans stole some genetic samples and cloned the Kaiju and the clones reestablish the breach.

1 Like

Very interesting indeed. Plus we’ll also get to see some Jaeger vs Jaeger action, which will be pretty cool.

Also, another point of contention I have is how same same all the Jaegers look. For as bland as the new kaiju are, they’re still very different from one another. Where as the Jaegers here feel a lot more generic and standard. In the first movie, you had the three armed one with a big mono eye for a head, you had the massive brute with barbaric proportions and a powerful build, and you also had the sleek and agile one with the missile chest. With this movie, there’s three big-ish ones, one of them kinda looks like a ninja… that’s kinda about it…

1 Like

Agreed, while I still like the designs for this sequel, they feel inferior to the other Jaegers in terms of design when compared to the first movie.

But I will say they do kinda fit since this movie might have more focus on team dynamics. and they all look like there part of a intentional team.

2 Likes

That’s true. Now, there is one more major problem I have with it, and unlike everything else I’ve stated before, its not a case of “I’m sure it’ll be better when I actually see the movie.” That being that the Jaegers are way too acrobatic. In the first film, the biggest displays of agility were Striker’s fluid and swift movements, when Crimson did that flip over leg turn move, (Which required the brace and support of the kaiju, and some powerful back thrusters), and Gypsy’s quick slide lunge to avoid Otachi’s acid spray, but that was it. No one was jumping around. No one was doing huge impressive back flips. In the original movie, the Jaegers were huge hulking masses of metal and muscle, and moved just like you would expect 2500 tons of awesome to. That gave the movie a great feeling of believability and immersion, which seems to be nearly nonexistent in this film.

2 Likes

Ok, so I’m both for and against this part of the jaegars. Firstly yes the first movie had these big hulking behemoth of massive raw power and mechanical destruction, in this one, they’ve been upgrades, better motion, holograms, advanced weaponry (I hate the gravity sling though, it’s so dumb) and more agile motion.

The downside is they don’t feel like the massive behemoths that they are, I think the editing done to the movie will fix this a little and watching the first few trailers compared to now, I think they’ve realised this. I expect we’ll get a full judgement when the movie is out as to if they designs are good or bad.

1 Like

Agreed. Plus the movie comes out in less than a month, so we won’t have to wait long.

1 Like

So… has anyone seen it? Would you recommend?

1 Like

I saw it yesterday. I think the first is better, but it wasn’t bad.

1 Like

Alright, good to know.

1 Like

Kardax reviews: Uprising

Spoiler Free!

Ok so honest thoughts on this movie, I’m half and half, I like it because it gives me more pacific rim and I loved the original but now it’s no longer this one off gem and I worried that it may be a little tarnished by it’s sequel even though I enjoyed it.

If you want the action of a Pacific rim movie you’ll get action, the number of fight scenes in this movie is about the same as the original, with some repetitions and some newer elements. The Jaeger V Jaeger fight (in trailer so not a spoiler) was very well done and my favourite of the fights, Obsidian Fury was a good adversary to Gipsy Avenger, and the reveal of OF’s crew was an interesting surprise, I honestly thought it was going in another direction. The other Jaegers are ok? They’re all individually cool but there was a few missed opportunities but the action they deliver is good, amazing scenes and action moments but that’s it.

Now the plot, so my first issue came when me and my friend left, the initial bad guys aren’t around for that long which I didn’t like as I though they were going to be equivalent of the double event from PR. That’s my biggest gripe aside from a massive plot hole they introduce to justify what the Kaiju want, now I won’t spoil anything but think what the Kaiju wanted to do in the sequel and then remember that Mutavore, the last Kaiju before the double event in PR went to Sydney Australia. This doesn’t make sense given knowledge of the sequel and it annoys me a little.

One last thing about the plot then I’ll end this review/rant, I followed the sequel since the original movie, I saw some of the things Del Toro had planned in an early draft. These things got into the movie and there is a VERY disturbing scene about a third in that kinda reveals the whole plot if you’ve followed the movie’s production. Really, I’m still trying to get that scene out of my mind.

At the end of the day, if you came for a plot, you’re in the wrong place, if you came from action and excellent characters by John Boyega and Cailee Spaeny. It does lack a little heart that Del Toro brought but all we can hope for is that any future works get him back.

TL;DR conclusion

So overall, it’s not better, not worse and you’ll still like it. It has plotholes but you’re not going for the plot and the mains are good, some scenes were pretty funny, some a little eh, but it’s still good.

My biggest issue is that if a PR3 happens and how that affects my view as PR because I didn’t mind it as standalone.

~Kardax/Unpixelled

3 Likes

Thanks for the review @Kardax , I think I’ll wait to see this thing until it comes out on DVD.
To my local public library.

Wasn’t John Boyega the star in that Saturday Night Live spoof of Star Wars?

1 Like

To be honest, I’ve been anticipating this film ever since I walked out of the theater five years ago. I’m gonna see it in theaters no matter what.

1 Like

I recommend you do if you liked the original, don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate this one, I just think that it had some moments that were subpar which are outweighed by some awesome moments.

1 Like