Pacific Rim: Uprising

Oh yes, this exists.

My thoughts (with spoilers probably? Although the spoiler time has probably already passed, what was it, two weeks?)

[spoiler]I disliked how they handled the mass production Jaegers, especially when they seem to be so obviously based on the mass production evas. The fact they all just exploded and were never heard from again bothers me so much. Just no.

Another thing that bothered me is the symbol/map of the island where they fought Obsidian Fury. It gets brought up, but then it’s seemingly forgotten as soon as OF is defeated and the importance of the abandoned plant is never explained, leading you to believe that it really isn’t super important. HOWEVER when the lady in charge of the company, whatever her name may be, uses the back door to self destruct the Mass Produced Evas Jaegers the symbol appears on the screen, hinting that it actually was really important. Yet nobody bothers to explain it, leaving this gapping hole.[/spoiler]

1 Like

I still haven’t seen the movie, but it sounds like a set-up for Pacific Rim Episode 6: Return of the Jaeger.

1 Like

So I just got back from finally seeing it. All in all, it was pretty awesome. Though it did have problems.

I’d rather voice my opinions through back and forth discussion rather than a long winded review though. I was hoping there’d be someone here to bounce my thoughts off of.

2 Likes

I’m always up to discuss giant robots and mechs, so shoot. I’ve got a fair few issues with the movie but I think that the upsides of this movie balance them out, but it’s still not as good as the original, again just an opinion.

1 Like

Alright. Point one.

The Soundtrack

The original movie had an amazing soundtrack with a lot of strong and memorable points in it. This one, not so much. There were a couple parts that stood out to me, but overall it was really meh.

2 Likes

I agree, I love listening to the first movie’s soundtrack on spotify, tracks like Pacific Rim and Category 5 were great.

This movie definitely had moments and continued the style but yeah, nothing really that much better.

I dunno if you’d prefer me to suggest a point then you and then alternate views and suggestions, so I’m gonna say point two The Characters, and leave it to you as how we format this discussion. Overall I think my review summed up my surface level thoughts but I can go in-depth on this.

1 Like

The characters that they bothered to develop were pretty good. Most of the cadets were pretty meh. I also found that they only killed off two named characters a little disappointing, especially compared to the first one.

1 Like

True, they didn’t really bother to develop many of their new characters but the 2 or 3 they did were well done, I think this issue comes in terms of the time scale of the movie, it isn’t that long so we don’t get to see the past stuff they’ve supposedly had. The amount of death was much more lax and since I didn’t really care even when a character died, didn’t really effect me much.

1 Like

And of all things, one of the things that stuck out to me most, is that we’re supposed to believe a girl no older than 13, has been living on her own for so long, and managed to both steel everything necessary to make a giant robot, and build said robot, all on her own. That just feels like a really big stretch to me

1 Like

I thought she was closer to 16 to be honest because there’s no way someone younger could build a 12 meter robot. There’s no way she had the strength, knowledge or knowledge to steal the parts, if she was 16 or older, yeaaaah but still.

1 Like

But I don’t have completely negative thoughts towards the movie. I really enjoyed Scrapper, though wish it had more screen time. And the scene in the beginning with the blue jegar (I forget the name. Autumn something) I absolutely loved. Everything about the way it was shot to the sound design to the robots’ movement was amazing.

1 Like

November Ajax yeah, Scrapper was my favourite, the real hero of the movie, the beginning scene was great.

1 Like

Then there’s the whole thing with Newt. I’m sure that’s been talked to death. I didn’t care for it. I don’t think anyone did.

1 Like

It was interesting but it could have been developed more, maybe seen from his perspective.

Its a real shame because Newt was one of my favorite characters in the first, and making him the villain just feels forced.

I disagree, I knew he was gonna be a villain since Del Toro had hinted as much when he was drafting the scripts for PR2, the execution was bad though, the small hints, then the alice scene, then the reveal. I didn’t like the flow.

His character was very badly handled I think but I like the idea of a human sleeper.

1 Like

This I can agree. The ideas are good, but the execution was poor.

However, the place where they completely dropped the ball, is the kaiju.

1 Like

As in their end goals of Mt. Fuji or their designs? Or the hybrids?

T R I G G E R E D

Mmmmm, I hated how they handled those things. They popped up, and ten minutes later a magical self destruct button was found. It was made even worse when there were so so so many parallels to the Mass Produced Evas, which were absolutely awesome in the gory glory. These just showed up, incompetently wrecked stuff, then self destructed.

The worse part was how the symbol for the island containing the abandoned factory showed up when they hacked into the self destruct code, but was never explained or built upon.

1 Like

I remember being so hyped up for the hybrids, Del Toro had talked about them in his draft plans and I remember seeing them in the trailers and the hype was insane. Their creation, the fact Newt sneaked a kaiju brain into the dam things, they could open wormholes and have a self destruct? Why.

Why have combiner Kaiju and Hybrids? Why waste the hybrids for 5 minutes?! Why did none of the Jaegers defeat them?!! Did none of the shatterdomes have active jaegers patrolling??!! Only 5 Jaegers or so survived??!!!

T R I G G E R E D

2 Likes