Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Gonna have to agree here, it was linear, but not entirely cutscenes.
Also, I’m gonna say cutscenes aren’t bad, so long as the gameplay doesn’t get hindered; which it doesn’t if you choose to go do things on the side instead of playing through the story and over leveling the pokemon. The cutscenes must also add something to the overall experience, so that’s 2/2 there.
I mean, other than HG/SS/G/S/C, this is probably one of the longest pokemon games to date; something I am happy about.

4 Likes

I get that, but it also makes it really easy to overlevel (especially if you’re catching Pokemon). I prefer the old fashioned way, because there’s more pride in that for me. You also don’t end up a ridiculous 10 levels over opponent Pokemon while also accumilating an insane amount of EVs in a short period of time. The exp. share is great for speed runs and people who want to be done with the game quickly to get on to competitive battling, but I prefer that classic RPG grind. That feeling that you’ve put blood sweat and tears into leveling up your Pokemon again, again, and again. I love RPGs, so I also need that grinding in my life. I can understand why some might not like it, especially if they just play Pokemon games casually and don’t really care about difficulty, but I like the grind. The desparation of outpacing your opponents, only to get worn out and later have them five levels over you again. It’s a climb, an uphill battle, and I love that. I guess I just assume that other Pokemon fans are super into RPGs as a whole, so they’d love grinding too. I forget that Pokemon has a lot of different types of people playing the games (which is why poor gamefreak already has a hard enough time finding a good balance in the games to accommodate for every playstyle). :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: On a side note, this game is great for Pokemon Breeders. Like, didja know that Pokemon in the daycare don’t level up? That means you don’t lose egg moves anymore! Even more importantly though, You can send eggs to the box, or replace hatched Pokemon with eggs the daycare lady just got! It’s sooo convenient! The fact that Tauros goes really fast and Magby is so easy to get (flame body makes eggs hatch faster) is even better! S.O.S chaining can also give you some really great dittos. Once you hit around the 40 mark, you can be pretty certain that they’ll have at least 4 perfect IVs.

1 Like

I guess thats a fine explanation, it just really ticks me off when people complain that EXP share makes the game more “easy” when difficulty isn’t the same as grinding, the game was difficult enough with the EXP share XD

Yeah but I’m pretty sure you need empty space in your party for picking up pokemon at the daycare.

so it needs to call help forty times?

1 Like

You and me both. My point of view has always been that they give a lot of options so you can play different ways. If you’re like me and you think that grinding adds to the experience, well you can give that experience to yourself because they give you the tools, now don’t they?

Nope. Your team could be filled. She’ll tell you an egg came from nowhere, and you get a prompt to replace one of the Pokemon on your team. It’s fantastic.

Yes, but a ditto is really easy to trap into an eternal loop.

1. Get a Smeargle and have it sketch Recycle

2. Get a a Pokemon that knows switcheroo and have it hold a leppa berry

3. Get a Pokemon That can false swipe and also use a fighting type move. You’re gonna want that move to have a lot of PP, but still be strong enough to knock out each ditto that pops up.

Here’s how it plays out: Smeargle is leading, you use an Adrenaline Orb and Ditto will use transform. Now that ditto is a smeargle with refresh, switch your smeargle out and send your switcheroo user. Have it use switcheroo, and then ditto-smeargle will have your leppa berry. Switch one last time into your false swipe user, and false swipe the smeargle-ditto. It will now scream for help turn after turn without every struggling and killing itself. There might be turns where it doesn’t scream, so you have nothing to use a move on besides the smeargle you want to keep alive in order to keep that chain going. So what you do is use another Adrenaline Orb, the kick is that it’s an item that can’t be used again when one is already in use. That means you waste a turn, yet you don’t lose the orb that you use. Nifty, huh?

1 Like

You see I absolutely hate grinding, so the idea of a team-wide experience share sounds like heaven to me. I’ve only played up to Gen 3 for Pokemon games, so it sounds like a dream.

2 Likes

I can definitely see where you’re coming from. You have to be a special kind of crazy to enjoy grinding in RPGs. I’m that special kind of crazy. I mean, I played Morrowind over and over, and that’s a game that punishes you just for existing for a majority of the beginning. XD

Thanks for the tips!

Not the egg, the actual pokemon.

Yeah I played monster hunter, that game is grinding the game.

1 Like

Ohhhh, I see what you’re talking about. Sorry. Yeah, I think you have to make room for them, but that’s only a minor nuisance. You’re most likely going to be depositing the 'mons you breed into the PC anyway, because that’s where the IV judge is.

That’s not grinding, that’s torture man. I’m still trying to get an Azure Rathalos plate in MH4U… There’s nothing worse than knowing that approximately three monsters later your current set won’t exactly be viable. Yet I still love the series so much…

1 Like

so did any of you guys keep your pokemon team the same through out the game?

i have personaly keept the same pokemon through out my entire playtrough of the game, and my pokemon team is made up of the following pokemon:

Incineroar ♂
(Alola) Marowak ♀
Toucannon ♀
(Alola) Muk ♂
Salazzle*
Lurantis ♀

*Obviously, i don’t need to add a female symbol to Salazzle, given that its a female only, evolution.

1 Like

Not to be that guy… but…
FTFY

I always plan a specific team out and stick to it. I leave experimenting to nuzlockes and “throw away” playthroughs. My first playthrough always has the Pokemon team from that gen that I carry over to the next gen, and they’re the Pokemon I give most of my affection to that gen and beyond. It’s a tradition of mine. Here’s I went through with:

Primarina
Lycanroc (day)
Alolan Raichu
Salazzle
Brave Sir Robin Golisopod
Kommo-o

On an unrelated note, Primarina’s SpA and SpDe are really, really good. Like, super duper good. I’ve decided that I’m going to build my next competitive team around Mimikyu acting as a trick room setter, and Primarina as a bulky special attacker with choice specs and a modest nature.

1 Like

If it’s trick room why not choose a nature that reduces speed and increases attack, and go for low IV’s in the stat?

Ya I did, I had
Decidueye♂
Lilligant♀
Mimikyu♀
Talonflame♀
Magnezone*
And Tentacruel♂
Decidueye really got in the way of type balance but i was okay with it.
My team still can’t deal with fire types though, still haven’t beaten red or blue.

3 Likes

Honestly, with dialogue, around 10 seconds between button pressing honestly seems correct if you are actually reading the dialogue (Depending on how much there is in the scene)

I don’t mind cutscenes, as long as they would be skippable. But speaking from a position of someone who is going to play both Sun and Moon from start to finish in order to catch Lunala, Solgalio and their pre-evolutions myself and trade them between the versions - I will have seen the cutscenes multiple times with no option to skip.

If they had an option to skip then i wouldn’t mind the cutscenes, but having them unskippable and the way the game is structured so where you can accidentally run into a cutscene that leads to an important fight or battle without an option to save… its often infuriating to re-watch.

To have a living-dex will take ages.

Once again, maybe at some points during the game you aren’t hindered by the cutscenes, but there are scenes where you are stuck just walking from one empty area to another with no grass you can get to without being told ‘go this way’ and then going straight into a cutscene.

The first half hour or so of the game is made-up primarily of this, maybe the occasional NPC who gives you something if you talk to them, but its mainly just going from one cutscene to another to establish characters, story and otherwise.

It’s highly unlikely Pimarina will go up against opponents with a lower speed unless it’s used in a low tier, so a speed debuff isn’t really necessary.

…If I end up regretting this line of thought, I’ll bee the first to let you know just how right you were lol.

1 Like

[quote=“Tarvaax, post:1101, topic:23205”]
I don’t use the exp share
[/quote] What I don’t understand is why you use your hours of playtime considering you’re not a casual player. I too batted every NPC and explored in every area. 50% forme Zygarde sort of proves that. Your claim that the game takes 68 hours to finish is just ludicrous. I wasn’t even in a rush, and beat the game in 28 hours.

Always.

I typically don’t sub out, if only because I’m a loser who spoils himself and maps out where I can find stuff I like and which six of the many I plan to go with

in this case, I got them in this order:

Decidueye
Slowbro
Vikavolt
Salamence
Salazzle
(Alola) Sandslash

Also of note, I went with a DC Characters theme for the names this go around, if only because I’ve already done Kamen Riders and Sentai heroes.

In the same order, they were Green Arrow, Ocean Maser, Static, Malchior, Inque, Captain Cold

I was debating on Harm for Salamence, but decided to go for the Teen Titans reference.

Not really put together with a whole lot of thought other than “stuff that’s at the very least all different types.”

Had I decided not to go with Rowlett, I’dve made my team into

Litten
Magnemite
Petilil
Zubat
Wimpod
Sneasal

Might sub out the Sneasal for something else when I inevitably pick up Sun and go through for the second time.

This’ll be the first Gen where I get both versions

but I can’t help it, I like a lot of the exclusive memes too much to simply get them via trade

3 Likes

Good for you? You’re acting like your personal play time somehow discredits my play time…

It took me 58 hours while playing the game like I play classic Pokemon games. Maybe you got done quick, good for you, but my play time is still statistical proof of how long it took me to beat the game.

Oh, I thought you were saying that 58 hours was the average play time…

Oh, not at all. That’s just my play time. Pokemon has so many subjective qualities to it that I’m not even sure you CAN put an average play time on it. I’d say that on average Sun and Moon take about 28-35 hours to complete. 19 if you don’t use a full team and just want to rush through so you can start with competitive.

Totally unrelated but, does anyone else make sure that each member of their team is at an equal level all throughout the game? Like, I can’t stand having a party of Pokemon that’s full of mixed levels. If one Pokemon is stronger than the others, I throw it in the back of my party and don’t use it until everything else is caught up.

Also, if anyone wants a male competitive Popplio… I have plenty to go around. XD