Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

So would you use healing items in Red, Blue and Yellow then?

Of course! Leveling was harder back then, which actually worked as a great deterrent for overleveling and becoming vastly stronger than your opponent. It made sense for the games to give you healing items to keep your Pokemon alive, because the difficulty was designed around the fact that healing items like potions exist.

What I want is for them to build the games around the items again. I want to feel that dire situation of being in a cave that seems endless, some of my Pokemon in the red and others quickly running out of pp as I stumble around trying to quickly find an exit to end the nightmare. That was a challenge worthy of using an item. That’s the type of challenge that requires strategically sustaining yourself just long enough to scrape by.

If you have your Exp. Share on of course it’s going to seem easy. It’s far more rewarding to play with it off, even if that does mean a bit of grinding. It also means that you aren’t constantly overleveled.

I mean, Sun and Moon were relatively difficult. I haven’t played enough games to really compare them, but a lot of the more important battles gave me a run for my money.

I concur

easily a step up from the Gen 6 games

not that that’s difficult to do, but still.

4 Likes

Yes, I do.

Oh, well I’m sorry we can’t all be as good as you.

On a tangential but related note, if anyone is interested in a challenge, play through sun/moon like I did,
you can only use Pokemon you can think of a relative nickname for, and you have to care for your Pokemon, keep them clean, fed and healthy,
I ended up avoiding random encounters like the plague because I was invested in my team, so the game was a fair challenge as I basically went through the whole game with the same team and had to adapt and plan on the fly a lot more than in previous games.
It was, as previously stated, an exhilarating experience to have so many close battles, a few so close I was only victorious because of the godly rng you can get from caring for your Pokemon,
I remember one battle where I was on my last Pokemon, tiribomba my arcanine, then growlithe, and he tanked two hits in a row with 1HP then crit the opponent, it was hype.
I’m sure some people would prefer a more numbers based team, but the thrill and challenge I got from my run was the most fun I’ve gotten from a Pokemon game, ever, really.

1 Like

I mean I played the whole game keeping them healthy and clean which definitely helped when they toughed out or dodged attacks.

1 Like

Take that rng and translate it to team that’s only as strong if not weaker at times than its opponents, it’s amazing.
The elite four was, for lack of a better descriptive, fun, the kind of fun you get from overcoming near insurmountable odds by the skin of your teeth.

2 Likes

I changed my team except for two Pokemon after the post-game, but I keep all of them healthy and clean.

I’m guessing my wild Pokemon avoidance is the limiting factor here, as I finished the game with like a 24% pokedex.

I didn’t see anyone say this yet. Looks like there’s gonna be some Mega Stone events:
http://www.serebii.net/games/currentevents.shtml

If you guys are bored or need a pick-me-up today, hurry on over to the Pokemon subreddit. Because of the holiday, it’s all Guzma memes and “****-posts”. It’s pretty great!

I’m still playing the post game. I caught all the Tapus and managed to catch all the Ultra Beasts and Necrozoma.

2 Likes

Did you set ya boi on the straight and narrow with ol’ Hala yet?

On a separate note, I find that even though I’ve beat the whole game I still regularly challenge the Batlle Tree just because. I’m hoping that because BotW was willing to risk being challenging and unforgiving, Gamefreak might see that Pokemon might also still be successful even upon doing that.

Yes I did.

I dunno, I liked the difficulty of Sun and Moon quite well. Some feel it was easy, but I still liked it.

I’m not saying it wasn’t difficult in some parts and that I didn’t enjoy it. It’s still my favorite entry to replay to this day. Despite that, I really want to have that uphill battle feel I used to get. It’s something that could easily be solved with a difficulty slider and proper enemy level scaling in accordinance to the player.

1 Like

Would you propose more of a difficulty curb later on in a future Pokemon game?

Probably. Even giving NPCs better AI and the ability to switch pokemon based on intelligent decision making at any point and frequency during a battle when you’re around the mid section of the main story would help a lot. I’d also like trainers to have a whole team of six after the middle gym/whatever, and also have strong moves at about the same time you’d be able to get them from a TM. Let’s say you’re at the sixth gym, and there’s a store selling Thunder and Fireblast. From this moment on, any specialy offensive fire and electric type trainer Pokemon will almost always have that type of move, since you also have access to that kind of power.

1 Like

I mean, they sorta did that. I remember battling Kukui and he switched out some of his Pokemon that would have the type advantage.

Yeah, in a few newer games a few trainers have been able to do it, but it’s very rare, and even when you find one that CAN they sometimes never do. The most they’ll switch is usually once and never more. What I’d like is an AI priority system, where the trainer will always try to switch out UNLESS your Pokemon is low on health or they have a move your Pokemon is weak to, giving them ample coverage. I’d also like to see them given good setup moves and using their moves in a very strategic way all depending on the opponent.

1 Like