[Poll] Best movie of 2018

That proves my point. People don’t like bad films.

The quality of tlj is highly debatable, though such debat doesn’t really belong here. The reason Solo didn’t do so well is probably due to the fact that no one wanted a han solo film

Isn’t that as much of a blanket statement as saying that TLJ was a bad film?

Perhaps, though from what I’ve observed it’s a majority opinion, rather then the more split opinions on tlj

The Majority opinion of TLJ was that it sucked. The majority opinion of Solo was that it was okay but predictable.

If its a majority then it’s only slight

Personally I’ve never felt more then meh at any of the Disney Star Wars films.

1 Like

To add to the Solo point, it was unneeded and kinda deviated from the point of Han as a character imo.

1 Like

All movies are uneeded

1 Like

He means no one was asking for it. How many people really wanted to see Han Solo’s origin story, over every other story the next Star Wars movie could have done?

So? Disney shouldn’t pander to the fanbase. I’m not saying that they should screw over the fambase, but they should be allowed some vision for their films.

At the same time they should make a movie people want to go see, striking a balance between their vision and what will be profitable

I’m not saying they should pander. But they should also try to make movies people actually want to see.

Roughly 13,171,225 people did want to go see the movie the opening week. That’s around 4 percent of all Americans

There’s a difference between wanting to see it when it came out, and wanting it in the first place.

If a Jar Jar Binx movie came out I’m sure a lot of people would see it just because it’s a star wars movie. But that doesn’t mean anyone wanted it before hand.

1 Like

Well maybe the majority of the people who went to see the other films were passive viewers.

That’s my point.

Infinity War for example was a massive box office success. It was a film that had been built up to and anticipated for years. It was a film people wanted.

More people will see a movie if it sounds appealing or interesting. Solo’s concept isn’t either of those things.

Who cares what passive viewers want? The fans went to see it.

All I’m saying is that they could have made a more appealing movie.

And it would also have helped of Solo was a better movie.

Messing myself into this discussion, here is what I think:
First off, TLJ didn’t “suck”. It had a lot of flaws, and I won’t pretend they aren’t. But the quality of the film was way above it’s big flaws, so I can forgive that. I actually left the theatre with a false sense that it was the best Star Wars movie ever, but of course that didn’t last. I loved the movie when I first watched it. I was disappointed by some parts of the movie, but for the most part, I loved it. I will say that the movie definitely deserves the 91% score given by the critics on Rotten Tomatoes. I feel like the only reason people hated this movie was because… well… expectations. A movie should be considered good or bad by the level of entertainment it gives you. For me, it absolutely entertained me. Most die-hard Star Wars fans went to see the movie for the sake of the Franchise rather then to be entertained by the movie.
So in the end: Did this movie suck? No. It made a tone of money at the Box-office, and it got a great score from the critics. So, it’s no way it can be considered a failure from a cinematical point of view. From the fan’s perspective however, which spent all their time since TFA came out theorizing who Snoke is, Who Ray is, then yes, it was a failure. Star Wars is a great franchise, but fans should not waste their time theorizing when all the movie’s fate in in a director’s hands. J.J Abrams has the power to do whatever he wants with Star Wars, and fans can’t change that. So you have two options:

1. Enjoy the film because it’s good.
  2. Waste your time trying to predict what will happen in the next movie when your predictions will turn out completely wrong.

As far as the problem with Solo, the reason it didn’t do well at the box-office is because it’s a Spin-off. People would go see the main Saga, not a Spin-off. And most fans didn’t really wanted a movie about Han Solo, so giving them something that they didn’t really care for just because it’s “Star Wars” did not help. And the movie wasn’t a box-office hit, but at least it did more then it’s budget, so It can’t be considered a failure either. And the 70% score given on Rotten Tomatoes isn’t bad either.

I am not the biggest SW fan out there, but I hope this post helped.

1 Like