[POLL] Licensed Themes VS Original Themes

THE VENATOR HAS A SET. Sorry for caps but this is the first I’ve seen of it and this is a glorious ship and deserves a modern remake.

I think your main issue is with Starwars and city, you keep comparing everything to these. They’re iconic and long running, it makes sense to update them.

2 Likes

Because you are not an hard core Star Wars fan. Any hard core Star Wars knows that ship and would have reacted sort of like this

Well, when something it’s way too much… it’s way too much. If Bionicle would have been like City or Star Wars, giving the exact same sets each year, do you think people would have loved it as much as they do?

It’s not even close to one every year.

1 Like

I don’t know, that is what I see. A infinite cycle of remaking sets. Even if not every year, not far from that.

What sets are the same each year?
Millenium Falcon
15 years without one
X-Wing?
(I’m not counting the resistance ones, they have completely different builds)
15 years without one but even if we add the two resistance ones it’s still 13 years without one
A-wing?
15 years without one
Y-wing?
16 years without one
Tie fighter?
16 years without them (I didn’t include the collection as it comes with multiple, or the first order one but it’s still 14 years without them)

3 Likes

The only ones that were released within a year from each other were the two Resistance X-Wings, which were just recolors to reflect the movie.

Isn’t that still enough?

It’s not one a year…

Again this has become what I don’t want it to and men

There’s two entire message boards dedicated to bionicle and only one small eurobricks section dedicated to EVERY SINGLE HISTORY THEME which is mostly inactive

You avoided his question

All the AFOLs which are 30 years old or more will either be part of the Space or Castle community. So even if their fan base isn’t active, the fans are still out there. Also the reason many people disliked Nexo Knighs is because they wanted Castle back, not a Sci-Fi Ninjago-style theme that supposedly was Castle when it was clearly not (although I quite like Nexo Knighs myself, this is the way most people felt about it)

Actually, most like mocing and even Star Wars

That is the AFOLS which are 20 years old or so… Those who are 30 years or more are Space/Castle fans.

That’s false!

Star Wars has ran for twenty years, ten year olds get it then, not to mention has a franchise Star Wars has been around for 40 years! It has become widely regarded as the second most influential movie franchise of all time! But marvel, a franchise widely regarded as the most influential has probably far more AFOLs!

:gregf:

You get out in the lego community much?[quote=“TheOnlyGuyWhoLikesMistika, post:72, topic:47286”]
Star Wars has ran for twenty years, ten year olds get it then, not to mention has a franchise Star Wars has been around for 40 years! It has become widely regarded as the second most influential movie franchise of all time! But marvel, a franchise widely regarded as the most influential has probably far more AFOLs!
[/quote]

Ok calm down buddy no need to explode

If LegoDavid is going to have his opinion let him stew in it alrighty? no need to start a civil war

1 Like

Well when I ask the question “what theme would you want back” almost all AFOLs I have encountered said Classic Space. Everywhere I look on Eurobricks I see a huge demand for Classic Space. And Castle is not far behind that.
LEGO Space and Castle have been around since 1978, so it’s obvious that there will be far more Space and Castle fans then Star Wars. The reason a lot of people like LEGO Star Wars it’s because it’s the closest thing they have nowdays to Classic Space… [quote=“Ghid, post:73, topic:47286”]
You get out in the lego community much?
[/quote]

Yes. I have been involved in other LEGO communities besides Bionicle for quite some time now. And all I said above it’s from my own experience I had on sites such as Eurobricks.

Well, no offense, but I’ve been around a little longer in more scenarios than just online forums. I’ve spoken to AFOLs from across the country and some from around the world, and while there is a demand for classic space, it doesn’t predominate the wants of the majority of older AFOLs. More often than not classic space is something nice that should come back, but it’s very low on the list of priorities presented. Of course if you ask the question “classic space or no” most AFOLs are going to say yes; it’s like asking people if they would like the opportunity for free money, you’ll only find a few people who don’t agree with the concept.[quote=“LegoDavid, post:74, topic:47286”]
Well when I ask the question “what theme would you want back” almost all AFOLs I have encountered said Classic Space.
[/quote]

And I’m not surprised. You’ve asked online, where the more vocal AFOLs prefer to hang out. However in-person even among classic space die-hard fans, the answers are usually indecisive. Classic space contains a rare quality thanks to the way sets were designed back then, and the sets and pieces are indispensable to the collectors and MOCists. Bringing it back would destroy that connection in the minds of some, and they prefer classic space be left in the holy grail it now sits in.

But this is sidetracking from the main discussion a little. You’re asking about the preference between licensed and original themes. I really don’t care. Licensed themes appeal to me a little more because I don’t care for how LEGO handles stories recently. Original themes are also appealing due to their wider range of new part molds. At the end of the day if the theme is acceptable and the sets are good I’m supportive of it.

But I can promise you we may never mention licensed themes again if we keep hearing about it on the boards. It’s getting to be just a little annoying.

7 Likes

I 100% agree with this, the mods are getting sick of it

1 Like

Well I don’t have any problem with not talking about that anymore but @TheOnlyGuyWhoLikesMistika Kinda ignited those topics again (no offense).

No offence from my side here, but you are always, but always the centre of every Licensed vs Original themes, to the point all of us associate to with such discussions and anti-Star Wars-ism.

1 Like

Me? I only did this because @Eljay told you twice not to clutter unpopular opinions with it!

Bingo!

That being said, major thanks to you @TheOnlyGuyWhoLikesMistika. I appreciate your effort.

@LegoDavid I’m moving forward with a third and final warning and your third and final suspension. See you next week.

6 Likes