[Poll] What if Bionicle was a System Theme?

Of course, I agree that athmosphere and worldbuilding are the core elements which make Bionicle enjoyable. Its just I have been viewing more the physical side of the line:

However, if you take the Samurai Jack episode as an example for the lines athmosphere and worldbuilding in reagrds to the system figures in a constraction giant thing, some good ideas for those elements can be found withing the concept itself.

B-But I liked that setā€¦

I want both system and constraction, but mainly constraction

Oh I totally agree! I have absolutely NO doubt there would be a divide amongst the community. I can already hear the rage were that to happen X(.

But also with that said I get the feeling there would be negative reception on anything new unless they went back to specialized technic pieces. (Something I highly doubt Lego would do)

I really think the appeal to Bionicle was that unlike a lot of other LEGO toys, the constraction line was always meant serve as action figures and those action figures could be customized, re-arranged or deconstructed and made into something entirely new like System. But the key difference being that while System has a fun building experience and cool features it just lacks the same type of playability that Constraction has, You can bash Tahu and Umarak together to pretend their fighting but you canā€™t take like say a Nexo Vehicle like the Fortrex and bash it into Jestroā€™s Evil Lair unless you want to pick up 100+ pieces and put them back together. :wink:

8 Likes

I agree with you on the point that LEGO would probably not do that, but I think no matter what way it would come back, there would be some negative views.

There are people now that would totally hate the old building system and specialized pieces and think Bionicle returning with those would make it ā€œun-LEGO.ā€

I for instance, although I donā€™t think specialized pieces make something not the real LEGO. :laughing:

System ā†’ Constraction fans see it as negative
CCBS ā†’ Old Bionicle fans and System fans see a negative
Old System or something similar ā†’ CCBS and System fans see negative

Lego could actually get away with bringing it back as a technic theme.

I would love to see Bionicle as a system theme. I think that there is so much world-building that they could do with system, especially with the regions of the island. And I would love to see system-built elemental creatures for sure. Some Constraction sets on the side, like Chima had, would be ideal as well.

For the most simplistic reason why I would like to see a system Bionicle theme is for all the new pieces, recolors and printings introduced in the line.

Also if Bionicle was just a system theme, I donā€™t think constraction mocists would be too pleased with them. I mean even if you didnā€™t like the G2 sets, st least that had good parts to moc with.

2 Likes

Right now, constraction fans are in a crisis period where the only constraction line is Star Wars (and even that is 6 sets for the year, with almost the same kind of dark and tan colour schemes). Constraction fans, specially MOCists want to see a constraction line with many different coloured pieces for their enjoyment. Integrating both System and Constraction may actually introduce a lot of previously unavailable colors to constraction and encourage system to constraction usage.

And yes, you are right with the parts thing. Well, I would remember G2 for the introduction and reintroduction of colors (dark azure, burnt orange, green lantern green), not to mention loads of trans coloured pieces that didnt exist beforehand (purple, bright green, neon green, dark blue to be precise). G2 also kinda started a use of system parts in its construction, and a heavier use of technic (which all transfered to Star Wars). Now they just need to continue the trend of adding system parts into constraction, and we might see even more filled in and fleshed out figures in the long run.

1 Like

I both agree and disagree with Scar. He dances close to a point, though one more opinion should be taken into account.

There really could be three options on the poll for true accuracy, and a single poll to boot.

1: BIONICLE would work best as a system/constraction theme.
2: BIONICLE should only be System.
3: BIONICLE should only be constraction.

The second poll can answer the question ā€œIs a combo theme better than just system, or just an acceptable compromise?ā€

As far as the question goes: I donā€™t care. I donā€™t care about the sets and the story together, but seperately. I loved G2ā€™s sets and couldā€™ve lived without the story, and I follow Ninjagoā€™s story but donā€™t give a Ketar about the sets. What I want, as Tesla says above, is something from constraction. SWC is great, and I plan on getting all of he SWC sets this year, but theyā€™re all black, tan, brown, and the occasional color like on Baze and Cody from last year. And Trans has yet to show up in SWC.

If Lego makes a good constraction line that sells coughcoughNinjagoconstractioncough I will be happy. And if Lego were to reboot BIONICLE as a system theme with selling sets and a great BIONICLE story, Iā€™d be ecstatic.

Would I buy the system sets? Yeah, if for no other reason than to support the line. Would I enjoy them as much as I would a constraction figure? Nope. But I would buy them, and I would enjoy them, albeit not as much as my poseable, parts-ful Ninjago constraction set.

~W12~

5 Likes

I reckon thereā€™s another option that people are overlooking: that BIONICLE becomes a pure Technic theme.

It would mean a return to 2001 Rahi-style sets, which is the real thing that made BIONICLE stand out enough to become mainstream.

Thatā€™s what I feel is the core aesthetic of BIONICLE - alien-looking mechanical figures juxtaposed with a tropical island - and it is something that does not translate into System.
Unfortunately, modern Constraction also lacks these things, now that everything has to be smooth, gapless and have human proportions.

Iā€™d go as far as suggesting the decline of G1 was more due to the gradual loss of BIONICLEā€™s original aesthetic than the accumulation of story - consumers rejected 2008ā€™s soft reboot not because the Glatorian Arena game contained too much lore, but because nobody cares about another line of functionless colourful action figures!

Technic would also bring several benefits:

1. Its popularity is relatively stable (especially compared to Constraction).
  2. It is the best system for mechanised sets, and historically the best-selling / best remembered in popular culture BIONICLE sets are mechanised (aka the Bohrok).
  3. It is already marketed at a higher age bracket than most System themes, so more complex builds are likely. (And LEGO are then less likely to dumb down the story if it is for a theme aimed at older fans.)
5 Likes

Thatā€™s a very well articulated opinion!

I think Bionicle as a pure Technic theme would work, especially since itā€™s already popular and aimed at older buyers, but I feel it only works very well for creatures. Technic has the issue that it isnā€™t very good at making things look pleasing, as looks are mostly sacrificed for function. Now, thatā€™s fine for things like Rahi that can look weird, but what if the line needed Toa or something similar? Then weā€™d get something as clunky and awkward as this:

Now Iā€™ll play devilā€™s advocate here and admit this does have its own sort of appeal, but itā€™s very dated compared to what we have now, and many would say it looks unfinished.

My main point is that Technic would look and work great for Rahi, but then Bionicle would just be a line of Rahi, and for many thatā€™s not what they want from Bionicle.

EDIT: New thought. After seeing some MOCs recently, I would be totally down for System Bionicle, but only if we got characters built like MOCists build System mechs.

1 Like

The main thing I would want from a system BIONICLE are the locations. Say if we got the Temple of Time or Kini-Nui as a set? Thatā€™d be great.

5 Likes

I agree with this. Being able to recreate locations in BIONICLE as sets would be awesome.

1 Like

Yeah but that would only be 30% of the set and all the rest would be Tahuā€™s radical fire bike!!!

3 Likes

I would hope not. I would want it to be similar to Minecraft where it had almost all locations as opposed to vehicles or mechs. Of course I would want the occasional vehicle or mech, because BIONICLE has had those things.

I would like to see more of a Minecraft thing going one with Bionicle so the sets focus on the settings but I think that Minecraft is unique in that it has those settings out there, theyā€™re already established and well known and Lego doesnā€™t have to advertise those sets. But with a story driven theme like Bionicle I think itā€™d be a different situation, like what would entice a kid or parent to pay 30 or 50 dollars for something like the Temple of Time over saaay a more familiar setting like Minecraft or a playable vehicle from SW, Superheroes or something else? Lego would have to Market that more heavily and aggressively entice consumers into WANTING to get those settings and while themes like Ninjago do have playsets and settings that sell well they are more vehicles and things like that over a few large setting type sets.

Anyone kind of wondering if maybe Bionicle could do something like Elves does, maybe give it a system based set but stylized cartoon animations (That are more than just like 2 minutes
long).

Do not double post. - Eljay

now that I think of it, it would be awesome if we got some of the mnogā€™s places as sets, but the thing about system is that itā€™s overpriced as heck and itā€™s always way to expensive for me to buy it, not that I would buy it

1 Like

It would do well if it focused more on other story elements and not on putting random things in and trying to make a story for it that isnā€™t ever important. Like what was that giant spider thing with Axonnā€™s mask? What were those two jet things in ā€˜Race for the Mask of Life?ā€™

But one thing I wanna see is Tahuā€™s radical fire bike!!!

As a MOCā€¦ Not a setā€¦ plzā€¦

1 Like

LEGO seems to have gotten much better at plating Technic sets since that one (eg. https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Porsche-911-GT3-RS-42056) and the Toa would be smaller than that, but I see where you are coming from.

You could definitely make a Technic Toa that looked no worse than a Turaga with parts available now, maybe something much better. The odd ball and socket connection might still be needed, but I wouldnā€™t underestimate what the designers can do with a few pieces.

System sets of key locations would be great, but the question is how do you represent the characters? Presumably the sets would be minifig scale, but the key idea of BIONICLE is that the characters arenā€™t regular humans.

Is there a way to do it that isnā€™t regular minifigs (the wrong shape) or G1-style small moulded figures (unpopular with purists and have even less customisation than standard minifigs)?

2 Likes