Possibility of making transparent pieces?

Do any of you know of a way to make custom Lego pieces that are transparent?

I thought of taking the trans pieces that’s the color you want, melting the, then putting the liquid in a mold of the piece you want.
IDK if that’ll work or not. :confused:
You know how Ekimu’s mask was transparent in his set? I was wanting the Mask of Control, small eye block piece, and some other pieces in trans-purple. I also like making some pieces that have both solid and transparent designs on them, like the Elemental Creatures’ heads the Toa’s masks in the non-Toa sets.

Also, how do some people have pieces in colors so perfect that they appear to be in their original colors, even though those weren’t their original colors in the first place?
I mean, look at these 2 image:

Their masks are the same color, those masks were never in that color originally, and they don’t seem to be painted, but I could be wrong.

Can you guys help me out, here?

8 Likes

Spray paint could get an even coat if done right.

That would be a terrible idea and it might loose its transparency.

As far as I know dyeing parts would work, I’ve seen someone turn a trans clear Kaukau trans purple through dyeing it

And for the masks there they are very well painted, and you call tell cause theres some build up of paint on the top telescope on Kopaka’s mask.

I know BobTheDoctor27 personally and he painted those.

3 Likes

3d print a mask with a transparent plastic

I can attest to this. I also know Bobdo. He’s the one who made those. He definitely painted them. He just is very good at paint jobs.

3 Likes

So, any idea on how to do this? :confused:

Ive never done it before but I did a quick google search and found this

And Im sure if other people on the boards might now and will be glad to help you.

THATS RIGHT YOU SCRUBS I PUT YOU ON THE SPOT!

1 Like

Nice. Know where I can get that dye?
But what about making custom transparent pieces?

This is a lot more complicated than you think. 1) I don’t know how you would even plan on melting them properly, and 2) making a mold is very difficult, especially for LEGO pieces like these with such fine details, grooves, etc.

Unless you have some professional equipment, it probably won’t turn out well. You can try though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I think the dye thing applies to transparent pieces cause it doesn’t really paint them it just adds some color, so you can grab a trans light blue part and with enough coats of say dark blue and red to get the color you want it might work, again I strongly recommend you do loads of research before you go ruin some pieces.

No idea but best guess would be fabric stores since its a fabric dye, its also quite cheap on amazon.

Also if you are going to dye some parts you should maybe do various… coats? of lightly dyeing it so you can get as close to the color you want.

I might also try to make some purple parts now actually…

Another good idea I found is to use this spray dye designed for plastics http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/202/1
this is a guide for painting cars but it still works here.

You could make a mold of the piece and cast it in transparent resin I guess.

Just mixing paint until you find the right shade.

Do not melt down transparent pieces unless you have serious, high quality molding facilities. I have tried melting CCBS shells to produce new shapes while keeping the ball snap intact, and though they have all remained transparent, they have also been ruined, as each now resembles a blob of transparent slime.

Your best option would be to research how injection molding is done, and then invest in the proper supplies or in the services of someone who possesses them.

3 Likes

I would suggest using clear resin and adding some food coloring

1 Like