Possible 2018 Standalone CCBS/Constraction Theme?

Definitely this, as long as they’re not licensed themes.

Which, unfortunately, has been the main direction Lego has trended lately, it seems. It makes sense - why bother putting in the effort to come up with, develop, write, advertise, and of course actually sell a risky non-licensed theme that may or may not take hold, when you can cash in on a franchise someone else is already doing most of the heavy lifting on for you, and you know kids will eat up?

I’m glad things like Ninjago have stuck around, and appreciate that they’re at least trying with Nexo Knights (regardless of my opinion on the final product) and of course there are things like City, Creator, and Technic which aren’t likely to die out anytime soon. But I really think it’s stuff like LotR, Superheroes, and Star Wars (don’t even get me started on Star Wars!) that may be doing Lego good in the short term but are ultimately harming their ability to properly handle their more unique ideas and story-driven lines.

So yeah, I hope that if (and of course that’s a big if) there is a new constraction theme on the way, it’ll both be really good and a strong success; so as to show Lego there’s still viability in Constraction. It would significantly improve the chances of an eventual G3, and we’d get a cool new line to discuss in the meantime.

But again, at this stage that’s all mostly just wishful thinking. Hopefully we’ll know for sure whether this rumor is fake or not soon, so that I don’t wind up getting my hopes up too much.

3 Likes

Oh man I remember when I made voriki 2015 as an early April fools prank.
Iirc it was one of the incidents that spawned our current rules on fake leaks.
Fun times…

7 Likes

Well late night I did tweet to Lego about a possible 2018 Standalone Constraction Theme and this is their saying about the idea.

4 Likes

sounds like lego is saying vague non sense to you

2 Likes

no, lego uses HUMAN FLESH to power there machines , didn’t you get bones in your ccbs bones too?
@Spiderus_Prime remember those are the people who said ¨Bionicle Sold Well¨

2 Likes

…is it just me, or was that a “We’re not allowed to talk about this yet, so look out for when we do officially announce it”? I might just be optimistic, but that sounds a lot like an indirect ‘yes’ to me.

2 Likes

Uh, sorry, but I can promise you with one hundred percent certainty that this means nothing, in and of itself. It doesn’t discredit or corroborate any ideas.

Funny as it is, i’d agree with this.

See, that was a pointedly different situation, becasue that was a citable fact that we really have no reason to doubt. See my other ~100000000 posts on why this is, in fact, the case.

This is just a nonanswer. It’s the same answer that you’d get if TLG had internally decided to abandon CCBS forever, with zero exceptions, as of yesterday evening.

1 Like

lego is the least honest/direct company there is so what do you expect

This is not true; pretty historically obvious tbh.

I can… definitely see that, as in I can get why you’d think that, but I still don’t think it is that. At least not yet.

I think that it’s very fair to say, with plenty of old-fashioned evidence, that TLG has always stuck to being unable to “communicate anything at the moment” for themes that are over six months out, and since @Spiderus_Prime clearly is interested in their products, they’d like him to “stay tuned checking [their] Social Media Platforms” because they want him to stay invested.

I won’t be doing this personally because my Twitter account is decidely personal, but I’d like to invite anyone to ask if we’re getting a new LEGO Deadpool line in 2018. I’ll bet that there response will be functionally identical. Seriously.

5 Likes

It’s okay to make mistakes. I’ve made plenty since I joined the boards. I accused Disney of strong arming Lego into cancelling G2 (debunked) and of claiming that CCBS costs more to produce than non-CCBS constraction (also debunked). [quote=“Azani, post:344, topic:40794”]
Hi Josh, we can not communicate anything at the moment but stay tuned checking our Social Media Platforms!
[/quote]

Interesting. Normally a Lego reply which means “no” is something like “We currently do not have any plans to introduce…” etc. THAT is the best piece of evidence I’ve seen so far that there will be a new theme.

An interesting experiment would be to ask if Lego is planning a G3, and see what kind of response that yields.

2 Likes

Thanks, but as of this morning, I’m 90% sure that I’m not.

:smile: <---- Worth it. More details coming later today when I have more time.

I’m 99% sure that it would get the same response as we saw here. The whole “we currently have no plans to introduce” shtick is not predictable or reliable.

3 Likes

I hate waiting through the commercials :stuck_out_tongue: In all seriousness though, I’m looking forward to the new evidence.

2 Likes

Ugh, I know, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t wait to see what you have, though.

1 Like

Um… And the ~1000000000 posts proving otherwise?

I was there for some of that.

I wonder how high the piece count of the vehicle set is gonna be?

*saying

You don’t have the sales numbers, we don’t know,
I’d argue that Lego wouldn’t outright lie, and that it was as they said, it sold well,
it wasn’t a massive bomb but the ~average sales combined with the marketing failing to expand and/or hold the audience, and Lego struggling to keep up with demand as is meant the line was sacrificed for the good of the company.
At least that’s the best conclusion I’ve come to.

5 Likes

Remind me then about the stores giving sets away for free, or how most stores still have Bionicle sets in large stock even now

4 Likes

See, this bit you can’t prove. How do you know its most, based off the reports of a few random people on the internet? Just as many people here have said the sets sold well in their area, like mine

3 Likes

“A few random people”

You assume I have only garnered information from this one topic. I’ve spoken to well over one hundred people who all state how surprised they are that Bionicle is still around in their area.

If anything, it’s the people who panicked because it was ending and scooped up sets like crazy that got them depleted, or the stores donating them to stores like The Salvation Army or Goodwill in advance.

3 Likes

Since you can read minds perhaps you can tell us what the marketing team was thinking?

Or, just maybe, it sold better in some areas, worse in others and, possibly,
average overall.

100 locations is a fraction of the total retailers that stocked the sets, which doesn’t even take into account online purchases,
how many of the stores that still have bionicle are toysrus? Because they have their own problem with sales in general and I wouldn’t account the remaining stock on bionicle, at least not fully.

It most likely sold averagely, but couldn’t keep up sales because of the awful marketing, I don’t believe it was the train wreck you’re suggesting,
but rather it simply fell short of what Lego considered necessary to continue early on(2nd wave) so they cancelled the line early to try to save the brand.

Regardless, we don’t know, all we know is that Lego said it was selling well, not great, not exceptionally, well, and that, from anecdotal evidence, it was selling fine in some areas and poorly in others.

which makes me believe that it sold averagely but began to decline, and Lego decided to cut it early to minimize any potential losses.

5 Likes