Possible 2018 Standalone CCBS/Constraction Theme?

The story of roboriders is really unclear, but they were fighting a virus, which could indicate it was a computer world, or it was just a space parasite but that’s why I went with it, plus the sheer obnoxiousness it gives compared to slapping a mask on a slizer/throwbot

2 Likes

No, that’s not what I’m referring to. I get that you weren’t around, or that you had simply refrained from joining the boards, but it all started when a fellow named Asgar Johanssen updated his LinkedIn page to say that he was working on a “new constraction theme”. That was definitely not anything like a leak; it was hard, solid evidence for a new theme.

This is completely different. By December of 2013, we knew for a rock - solid, unyielding fact that there was a new constraction line coming in 2015. This is not the case here.

Just to be straight up, @Asriel, i hope that I’m not coming off as close-minded or dismissive. I’ve had a long day and I’m looking forward to a little light-hearted speculation. Believe me, I was saying the same thing back in early 2014.

That said, I’d be psyched to see anything like a new CCBS line, whether it turns out to be a reboot of an old line or not. I’m set on the idea of a new theme, as a few of you (including @TheStormKing) have said; however, on the bizarre off chance that we see a reboot of an old line, I’d keep the book open. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I personally think it’s a little too early to call real/fake. After all, this is just a rumor. Just like hundreds of sets that hit the shelves, and hundreds that have been made up. There is no set proof either way yet. While the source is not very credible, most fake leaks are full on lists with set names and everything. This one is a little more vague, which does give me hope. And just for discussion, if a fake leaker really wanted to get people excited, wouldn’t they say something like Bionicle G3?

1 Like

Well, this is arguably the most intrigued I’ve felt about a LEGO announcement since the G2 leaks. Of course, being the internet, I am still highly skeptical of whether the source is credible or not. Time will tell, but, in the likelihood this is all comes true, I enjoy the premise. Hopefully the line will bring some good recolors.

3 Likes

Quite honestly, I’m pretty confident in saying that I don’t think that any of us would belive this if it were framed as a Bonkle G3. The “leaker” is probably smart enough to know that zero folks in the LEGO community would buy that sort of emotional pandering.

3 Likes

Slizers 2018 bois! :tada:

35 Likes

You know… When you bring that up it actually makes the “leak” sound less true because of how close it is in description to slicers.

9 Likes

It really does sound like a modernized Slizers. On one hand, it makes the rumor sound fake, on the other, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it was real. If there’s any good time to bring back Slizers, it’d be now. They could have scannable disks, like the Nexo Knights shield gimmick.

9 Likes

Can someone explain what this actually means? Because, more than the source being 4Chan, this is what kills it for me. If I’m close to understanding what the poster is referring to, it seems odd to me that they would’ve gotten their hands on a summer 2018 catalog this early.

1 Like

I don’t even think the 2018 Summer catalog would be finished yet…

6 Likes

Hey, man - first of all, please do not quote my post like that. I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but it’s really important that everyone knows that I have not personally seen that. It makes verification and reputation easier for everyone. Thanks.

Second of all, the source would have to be an employee at TLG or an affiliate corporation - likely the latter. Most “leaks” come from folks who are in a position that affords them exclusive access to TLG’s future plans, ultimately for either marketing, regulatory, or distribution purposes. Right now, in October, it would be one of the first two. These sorts of leaks do happen; you might remember that we gathered information on Umarak the Destroyer and the Beasts back in 2015. However, they are rare, and should be taken very lightly.

2 Likes

@Azani Is the way it’s formatted now better?

Okay, thanks. I had forgotten about the Beasts, but the idea of someone getting something this early is questionable.

2 Likes

Apologies for the delay, everyone.

That’s okay - I hope that I didn’t sound angry about it. I just want to make sure that it’s clear that I’m not the guy who saw the catalog firsthand, in person or otherwise. The way that you quoted me removed the internal quote and the italics in my post that I used to show that I was quoting someone else. A ton of people don’t take the time to immediately read through the first post in a topic; because of that, if they saw your post, they might think that I was the leaker. I’m not. :slight_smile:

And I appreciate the edit, @jayzor17, Yes, that’s alright.

3 Likes

No problem; I just wanted to make sure I actually did what you wanted.

1 Like

I’m not completely sure from an outsider’s perspective about which catalog you’re referring to. Essentially, here’s how it works.

The consumer catalog sets up the LEGO kits in the minds of the public, so they can go to the store and pick out what they want for their kids. Or their parents. Or themselves :slight_smile: As you’d expect, this catalog is not done yet.

The retailer catalog basically does the same thing; the most significant difference is that it offers the choice to direct retailers before the consumers, so that the average small toy store (any non-name brand) can decide what they want to order in to maximize profit. Direct-to-consumer kits like the 75192 Falcon aren’t in this catalog, because everything about their distribution is controlled by TLG on the corporate level. That’s why your local LEGO store won’t even know about them until the release draws near. For the 2HY 2018 slot, these catalogs are probably not yet done, but I could be wrong.

There are other things that could be referred to, or even straight-up be a “catalog” as an addendum to these two; I really don’t know, because I don’t work at TLG. It likely differs from company to company, but I would suspect that the Billund/Enfield corporate side of the group puts together an internal “catalog” for advertising and regulatory (legal) purposes. This is nearly guaranteed to be done, but it isn’t likely to have been seen outside of the company or an affiliate along the lines of Advance or Cartoon Network. If the leaker is legitimate, I would be very surprised if he did not work at one of these. They did say that there would be a cartoon…

Again, thank you for understanding.

4 Likes

I meant to say the retailer catalog probably isn’t done. The consumer one definitely isn’t. Thanks for clarifying.

No problem. Yeah, just wanted to make sure we meant the same thing.

1 Like

I need this to be true. Some of the Star Wars constraction sets are neat enough for a buy but I’d definitely prefer an original constraction theme. Plus I love the CCBS system and I want to see it used and evolved for many years to come.

2 Likes

Sure none of us would fall for it, but I’m sure there would be some people dumb enough to spread a rumor like that.

4 Likes

This is either real or not. Either way it should be interesting to see what happens.

1 Like