Possible 2018 Standalone CCBS/Constraction Theme?

that too

1 Like

Or overpriced and in boring colors, at least as far as Star Wars is concerned.

7 Likes

For the naysayers, this should show just how customizable and versatile this system could be compared to the lack of coverage and overall lack of options CCBS offers:

http://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2014/10/13/70244-1412993294871.jpg

15 Likes

unless you hate system and weeb looking stuff

and that would be even more overpriced
like 50€ per set

4 Likes

Hey, no need for passive aggressive intolerance, whether it’s a meme or not. You should always have respect for other walks of life regardless of your interests. It’s especially in particularly bad taste to insult the interests of a person you’re actively trying to have a friendly conversation with.

That said, the 3D printed skeleton you see there is versatile, so it could be used for a whole bunch of uses other than “weeb” looking things. You may not like system, but it has more variety when it comes to shaping, and thus allows a lot more in terms of unique builds. There’s only so many ways to orient a shell. Also, you finally get rid of that dreaded lack of coverage shells would always force on the opposite end. Sure, they’d probably be pricier than CCBS, but here’s the big difference: system is popular and loved, thus the price issue is negated. I’m also sure you could make something that looks pleasing without it being over $25.

6 Likes

I didn’t mean to offend anyone, but that thing is heavily inspired by that manga stuff

I could see some nice stuff being made in that system, but coming from lego it wouldn’t be worth it
since they would leave gaps anyways, because lego andit’d probably be filled with not matching colors, like every other lego thing

I think that looks great, and the concept seems like it could go places. But I have little to no faith in LEGO’s ability to execute such an ambitious project.

Plus I’d just really like more CCBS in more shapes and colors.

4 Likes

Personally I’m fine with the ‘weeb stuff’ as Asriel oh-so-tactfully puts it, and I’m sure the frame setup there would be pretty useful… I just don’t have as much of an interest in System. At any rate, Tarvaax raises a good point about System’s variety and versatility, something I think CCBS in its purest form still lacks.

If there’s to be any future left for Constraction, Lego will have to put serious effort into expanding the catalogue of pieces and possibilities, and blend the lines between ‘shell’, ‘bone’ and ‘clipon’ parts. Also, one of the reasons Slizer engineering/pieces worked so well was the multitude of connection points allowing for a variety of different uses even for pieces only intended for one; so I’d want them to avoid repeating anything like the Uniter torso shells, which only had one socket connection.

Along with that, in terms of the overall set design I feel like a blend of CCBS and older-style technic (slizer engineering, the act of cramming as many functions as possible into as small a space as possible, without sacrificing aesthetics) would be the ideal, following the example of many good MOCs. Unfortunately, it would also likely be pretty expensive, and while Lego’s probably in a much better position to foot that cost than they were back in 2000, whether they’ll want to is another question entirely, especially given the recent firings over a fairly small business decrease.

TLDR: Slizers was the best Lego line IMO, and Constraction sorely needs a return to the design philosophy of tight function engineering, maximizing potential piece connections, and unique aesthetics that drove those sets. Assuming Constraction is even still a thing at this point.

But I digress.

8 Likes

watch them make it without knees

11 Likes

As long as they’ve got enough shells to go around, I can live with that.

1 Like

Going back to that new blade piece: people keep saying it is CCBS-styled, Why is that? There have been other blades with a plus-end that were originally designed for System sets, and only later used on Constraction sets. One prime example is the sword from the Samurai Mech; it was also used on the Ultra Sonic Raider, and only later used on HF’s Dragon Bolt. Another example is the curved blade that originated from Lego Chima’s giant Phoenix thing (the fiery red/orange piece) that was also used on the Ghost Wyvern (in dark blue/pale green) in the Ninjago Possession series.

3 Likes

The piece was used for Chima in 2014, it was used for said purpose in Ninjago during 2015.

1 Like

It does have bar connections, which may be able to attach armor add-ons.

1 Like

Why would a sword need armour add-ons? /s
But it would surely be interesting to see them iterate on the system so much that even swords have small add-ons for greebling/detail.

2 Likes

Scrolling down from seeing the 2018 Ninjago Blade have a possibility to be use in the next “theme” is still unclear atm.

However I should address this;

http://www.neoape.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/LEGO-Mixels.png

Mixels were first reveal in July 2013 and were the first to show the mini ball joint pieces.

However Chima was the first to use the joints a month before Mixels launch.

Going back to the new blade piece, the use of those blades literary depends on what they’re making, you can’t except an awesome mold like the 2016 Beast crystal armor to reappear anytime soon unless Lego are creative just like 2015 Kopaka shield piece on a Ninjago set or they’re making a rock-like character (you had your chance Nexo Knight).

11 Likes

Slizers was the best Lego line IMO, and Constraction sorely needs a return to the design philosophy of tight function engineering, maximizing potential piece connections, and unique aesthetics that drove those sets. Assuming Constraction is even still a thing at this point.

It’s never going to happen, but I really want lego to go back to doing Slizer/Technic fig/Belville doll scale sets. The characters would all be ~9.5 cm tall and would be more affordable as a result of their low volume. They’d have accessories scaled about 2.5 times that of a minifig resulting in a range of useful parts that’d have applications at system and ccbs scale.

6 Likes

Concerning this whole topic, I e-mailed the Lego Group directly a few days ago. They gave the default answer, but oddly they didn’t say anything about the new Ninjago sword piece, I specifically mentioned.

This was my question:

[details=Summary]Dear Lego group,
after the of cancellation the Bionicle generation 2 theme, is there any chance we will see a new, original CCBS/Constraction theme, in the foreseeable future, or ever for that matter. Many people have these thoughts right now, especially after images of new Ninjago sets surfaced, which included a new type of large sword element that looked a lot like something from a theme like Bionicle g2/ Hero Factory, with its axle and bar connections. I am sure you get a lot of questions like this one but I would still appreciate an answer.
Sincerely,
a fan. [/details]

And this was their response:

[details=Summary]Dear [Name],

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

It’s good to hear that you are a great fan of LEGO® BIONICLE. I can understand very well how disappointing it is that we discontinued the series (again) - I’m also a great fan.

Currently, there’s no new similar series planned as far as I know, but our designers in Denmark are always inventing new things and testing them. Fan feedback is very precious and important to us, so it’s good to hear which old classics you would like to see.

New sets are announced via our website, our newsletters or also on the social networks like on Twitter and Facebook. I can recommend checking it out!

Thanks again for your comments. Happy building and a good Sunday!

We want to make sure we’re doing a good job for you, so you’ll always find the link to a four-question survey in our emails. Please tell us how we did today:
LEGO Survey link
Please let us know if you need anything else.
Kind regards,
Manuel
LEGO® Service[/details]

Does this answer anything or is it just as pointless as our hopes?

7 Likes

An answer like this can’t be used as evidence for or against the possibility of a 2018 constraction theme. If’/when the time comes for LEGO to release this new theme, they will let us know at that moment, certainly not in advance.

7 Likes

wow lego really doesn’t like giving direct answers to questions

2 Likes

asking the LEGO Group about new themes or anything related to an ongoing one, is like asking a politician. You won’t really get a clear answer.

Ither because they have been told by the higher up at LEGO to not tell anyone, or because they are just as much in the dark as most of the fans.

my reply was not aimed at you. it was for TealFire.

7 Likes