Question about Papu and Rangi

Hello again, Mr. Farshtey! I understand if this is something that you would not know about, but on the off chance that you would, I’m asking anyway.
So, the names Papu and Rangi pop up in the Mata Nui Online Game as people who have “Great plans” for the player/Takua, and are never mentioned again. What I would like to know is, were these two names ever planned to have any story significance?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they were later replaced with mata nui

2 Likes

In what context where these mentioned?

In pretty sure They were planned to be important members of takoro

There were those two Ta-Matoran from that MoL game that is apparently canon… It was called ‘The Legend Continues’. Perhaps they could be given the names? Except probably not because of license and that stuff…

I can answer this one!

What we know: Papi and Rangi are mentioned in one of Nokama’s files (“I think Papu and Rangi have greater plans for you than your stature would suggest. Perhaps you are to be a hero like the Toa. I do not know”) and in one of Jala’s files in the German translations (translated, “Ta-Koro is the city in the great Lake of Fire, named by Papu and Rangi as the City of Fire”). We can see that different versions of these text files were edited to remove the names. It is extremely likely that the leftover mentions were intended to be removed as well, but slipped under the radar.

What we can suppose: They were probably beings filling god roles in the mythos: they planned destinies and established the villages. Even disregarding that, the names are taken from Maori deities, further suggesting that the characters were gods (this is also, incidentally, almost certainly why the names were removed).

Greg has been asked about these names before, and his response has been that he is not familiar with them.

3 Likes

[quote=“Pereki, post:6, topic:42004”](this is also, incidentally, almost certainly why the names were removed).
[/quote]

Alastair Swinnerton confirmed this on his blog, but he didn’t elaborate on who the characters were. My guess is they were the original name for whatever the Great Beings were intended to be at that point in development.

2 Likes