Question about Rahkshi color correspondents?

Way back in 2003 or 04, you gave us a list of Rahkshi armor colors (http://www.bzpower.com/ref.php?ID=1567). Granted, this was a very long time ago, so if you’re unable to answer the question, that’s understandable but, some of these colors seem a little uncertain as to which respective LEGO color they’re intended to be; particularly Purple, Light Purple, Magenta, Aquamarine and Gold (since we’ve had several shades of gold)

Do you know what respective Lego colors these would be?

I would suggest:
Purple - Dark Purple (common in modern sets) (official name ‘168 Medium Lilac’)
Light Purple - Purple (seen in Tohunga Onepu) (‘104 Bright Violet’)
Magenta - Magenta (‘124 Bright Reddish Violet’)
Aquamarine - Teal as seen in Tohunga Kongu (‘107 Bright Bluish Green’)
For reference, Ryan Howerter’s list of LEGO colors:
http://ryanhowerter.net/colors.html

5 Likes

Could light purple just be lavender? The color wasn’t invented yet, but I don’t think modern purple was either…

3 Likes

Modern purple was introduced in 2004.

1 Like

But, Rahkshi were released in 2003, I guess. When was the list made?

1 Like

Hm, Late 2003

The color would have existed internally by then, but you’re correct, it was yet to be introduced.

However, on the other hand, Heat Vision is Flame Yellowish Orange, also introduced to LEGO in 2004.

4 Likes

Blimey, can you translate them to bricklink colours?

1 Like

168 Medium Lilac - Dark Purple
104 Bright Violet - Purple
124 Bright Reddish Violet - Magenta
107 Bright Bluish Green - Dark Turquoise
191 Flame Yellowish Orange - Bright Light Orange

1 Like

According to Bricklink, there was a colour called “Light Purple” that was inctroduced in 2003. However, from what I can tell, the only sets that actually used it in 2003 were Clikits sets, and the only “Light Purple” parts were some paper cutouts (which aren’t usually exact matches with plastic bricks of the same colour):

I think the only other colour that was used at that time which could reasonably be considered “Light Purple” is Sand Purple.

True, but the original list only said that Heat Vision is “Yellow”, which definitely existed at the time. This seems to be proof that the Rahkshi colours can have some variation in exact hue, though too much variability could lead to confusion between two Rahkshi (most notably, Disintegration and Molecular Disruption are Blue and Light Blue, respectively).

Also, I have a bit of an addition to the original question: When a Rahkshi is described as “Gray”, does that refer to Light Gray or Dark Gray? Typically, I don’t think such minor variation would matter, but I think it does in this case because the difference between Light Gray and Dark Gray is the difference between a Rahkshi of Limited Invulnerability being completely monotone or having two shades of gray.

4 Likes

BL “Light Purple” (198 Bright Reddish Lilac) would probably get confusing, as it’s sort of inbetween of Onepu Purple and Magenta, pretty close to both, and intended as a replacement for Onepu Purple. In retrospect, I’d probably have said Sand Purple (136 Sand Violet).

And ye, the greys D: Thok white, ofc

2 Likes

I will imagine it as dark bluish grey. Light grey would look very similar to silver

3 Likes

@Wolk I don’t think aquamarine makes sense to be bright bluish green (107).

Dove blue (232) is much closer to it and existed in 2003.

3 Likes

Based on the colour, not the crystal, I’d lean more towards Light Turquoise:

If we’re going to be exact about it, I’d say that the above Wikipedia image is somewhere between Light Turquoise and Medium Green:

In the interest of using more common colours, though, Dark Turquoise is reasonably close to this “medium aquamarine” from Wikipedia:

3 Likes

Light turquoise aka Medium bluish green (116) would work too, I agree. The Medium green (29) seems a little too green for the job.

I still think dark turquoise aka Bright bluish green (107) still seems off for any color called aquamarine. And parts availabaility shouldn’t really be a factor since none of the specialized parts were produced in any of these colors.
One would need to make the parts anew, no matter which color is chosen.

2 Likes

I’d lean towards 107 because it was used in BIONICLE, but that aside… I wouldn’t really count Dove Blue’s use in 2003, because that was in Clikits. Clikits used a lot of other colors otherwise considered to be introduced for 2004.

Of course, by 2003, all of these colors existed internally, since that’s when 2004 sets were developed. They’re included in this list given to Peeron back in 2003: Color List (Interestingly, the Clikits transparents 227-236 are not, and neither is 182 Tr. Bright Orange.)

That said, if we are including 04 colors (given Heat Vision), then the unused 211 Turquoise is probably what’s closest to Aquamarine. Some samples from its use in Modulex:

3 Likes