Rahi Reproduction Theory

In another topic that has been popular lately, (Rahi ecology questions? - #15 by RealGregF) you confirmed that rahi don’t conventionally reproduce. I had an idea- rahi are made from viruses, right? Viruses reproduce by ‘hijacking’ a host cell, and ‘reprograming’ the cell to produce more of the virus. This kills the host cell. So, when rahi consume other rahi, could it be that once they have consumed enough material, they use it to form other rahi? That seems like it would be convenient for the Makuta, and would allow for the natural balance of the MU to be preserved in the event that the they or their facilities are destroyed.

3 Likes

I recommend to link the topic.

1 Like

Well, MU “viruses” aren’t like conventional viruses from what I’ve seen, they’re more like the bubbling liquids that you’d find in a scientist’s laboratory. I would think that Rahi are all created artificially and kept tabs on by a branch of the brotherhood so they can maintain a constant population.

Alternatively, we could just be overthinking this and it’s something that has absolutely zero importance on the universe.

2 Likes

[quote=“Drahcir_Nosnevets, post:3, topic:37719”]
Alternatively, we could just be overthinking this and it’s something that has absolutely zero importance on the universe.
[/quote] I mean, hey, it’s fun. Anyway, your explanation works, I’m just putting the idea out.

In addition to this, it’s also previously been stated that the MU Viruses are actually more akin to the computer variety rather than the biological one. So instead of destroying host cells in order to reproduce, they would be much more likely to simply “infect” the existing ones and alter them via some form of mutation.

1 Like

Hordika venom has been shown to essentially have that effect.
What a horrifying thought.

1 Like

It’s a very good theory, but no, I can’t see the Makuta essentially letting the Rahi determine how many Rahi there will be. In a Makuta’s point of view, if the Makuta race was destroyed, the MU would be toast anyway so why prepare for that eventuality?

5 Likes