Real Life Kohlii?

We’re talking about real-life kohlii, not real-life kanohi, although that would be a cool topic, too.

Any, I could see someone setting up a real kohlii match at a convention. Maybe Brickfair, but I’m not sure if they’d allow that, and even if they did, all the non-BIONICLE fans would probably stare at us like a bunch of idiots.

2 Likes

I have set up a really similar game, two players a team and we use sticks are Kohlii. Since not all sticks are shaped as a kohlii stick we use the same rules a kohlii, but we can kick with our feet or hit the ball with the sticks, to simulate a walled arena we play in the street, and if the ball goes out we just reset putting the ball in the middle of have a ref throw it up and back away.

1 Like

How did you convince people to play the game with you

My friend and I who are bothe fans made it up, and my neighbors saw it, and wanted to play.

3 Likes

It seems like the hardest part of making real kohlii would be the ball. I mean, the sticks could just be cricket bats with lacrosse scoops on the ends. The ball though, needs to either be extremely elastic so it can bounce, or have some kind of propellers in it.
Now, what would be cooler (but more impossible) would be real life akilini.

1 Like

Maybe it could be made from India rubber or something similar.

1 Like

this is something I have been wanting to try forever (real life kohlii)
the only issue for me is people and (sort of) equipment. I can do koli any time if I can explain it to people. kohlii is the version I want to try, (yes its similar to lacrosse) but I just dont have the equipment.

I do plan on making some kohlii gear sometime though…

1 Like

We should start a petition for this to be an official event at like Brickfair or something.

3 Likes

Could also be an unofficial event like the lightsaber skirmishes that happen.

3 Likes

I wonder if I have enough scraps in my garage to crudely fabricate a Kohlii stick

I wonder if the Brickfair staff will call the cops if I show up with a truck full of giant metal hammers

2 Likes

I’ve thought before about the best way to replicate Kohlii with off-the-shelf components, and my current solution is a fusion of a lacrosse stick and a broomball stick:

Obviously the broomball stick isn’t super hammer-shaped, but you can still get some solid whacks out of it.

Top join them, you could cut each in half and connect them in the middle. Another option is to buy the heads of one or both sticks separately, and then just mount the on opposite ends of the same shaft.

As for the ball, you could simply use a dodgeball, though having such a soft ball would largely reduce the necessity of a shield for the defender.

The other issue with a dodgeball would be fitting it in the lacrosse stick, but you could get around that by using a goalie stick (which is much larger), or size the ball so that it can be “wedged” into the stick. I might even argue that this is better, since it would allow players to carry the ball at any angle without relying on gravity to hold it in the scoop.

3 Likes