Reasons your family doesn't like TTV (and/or Bonkle)

Well, Eljay did not say those exact words, that would make too much sense. He made a lot less sense.

"Yeah mom, you know TTV? The guys who have eaten all of my free time? I made a game for them because I was bored.

7 Likes

So, My mom thought the bionicle in 2001 looked like demons, Still got them though for some reason, And around 2008 my eldest brother basically made me and my slightly older brother join an anti bionicle cult where we ripped apart the bionicle magazines that came out every couple months. around 2010 me and my brother quit. My brother never really said sorry but he says it we because we talked about it to much.
P.S. she was ok with bionicle she just thought they looked kinda spoopy. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

The majority of my family thinks Bionicle characters all look creepy, but they’re cool with my buying them.

4 Likes

That’s more like it.

My family’s experience with BIONICLE went something along these lines. My family can be a little concerned about spiritual stuff, and there was a whole list of themes that they didn’t particularly like the premises of, so they didn’t allow me to “follow” them. A lot of these they decided to loosen their standards on as I grew older and (presumably) learned the differences between reality and fiction, with the exception of a few themes, which I concur with them are a little creepy/possibly demonic, or found my own reasons to dislike (see: Chima).

I got my first BIONICLE set as a part of the BrickMaster program, and about that time my parents considered the sets alright, but still didn’t allow me to follow the story. Some of their decisions were a bit arbitrary, for example they seemed a lot more open to the line in 2009 simply because the visual style was a lot less dark. Even when I got fully invested in the line in 2013, they still didn’t like a lot of the visual stuff (which is part of the reason I haven’t watched the movies or read most of the comics, alongside general apathy).

Parents’ rules are weird. At my age I think I understand the intentions behind them a lot better, though we still don’t see eye to eye.

10 Likes

Im curios now, can you explain?

oh
uh

…should I take that as a complement?

My family mostly doesn’t care. Since I’ve joined the Boards, I’ve met two users IRL (one of which stayed at my home), so I think they’re generally cool with it.

although I do sometimes play Eljay’s Reviews to drive my sister away

9 Likes

Well, seeing that Bonkle is now part of this…welp…here we go.

I did not really get into Bionicle until it was over and HF was a thing. My mom thought they were cool and was supportive, letting me see the HF episodes and the Bionicle movies. My dad always thought they were wastes of money and time. As time has gone on and I have gotten older, my mom has questioned me every time I get a set, and my dad does not seem to care. It does get really annoying how my hobbies are treated like “Oh that is fake, no reason to get all worked up over it”

My siblings all used to be into Hero Factory alongside me, and now my older brother hates LEGO…cause it is “kid stuff” and “they are stupid and ruined everything” My sister still has her moments where we enjoy things together, but they are very few and far between. My younger brother also has his moments, but he is sucked into his smartphone.

I just hope they won’t mind when I begin taking my hobby more seriously.

7 Likes

So my mom was curious what I was looking at on my phone just now. Well I was just about to read @ThatGuyAtTheEndOfTheRoad’s post. Anyways, she took the phone read the first two lines and broke out laughing. My dad asked what was so funny and she said “These Lego dorks he talks to online.”. So she made my brother read out the post in the McDonald’s parking lot.
Yeeeeaaahh. At least I’ll never visit Indiana again.

10 Likes

Man all these people talking about how lego is a kids thing and shouldn’t be taken seriously as an adult are really triggering me.

As for my family they’re cool with it and do support how seriously I take MOCing and stuff like that, they’re also photographers so this gives me a chance to learn.

And I sometimes rant about people making mediocre Female MOCS with my sister, so I guess in her eyes this is all there is XD

3 Likes

Y’all hadn’t seen Temple of Doom, recently?

4 Likes

Actually @Political_Slime and @nexolo, slime shot him in the civil war. I think Var shot him in TTE

2 Likes

oh
so it was

TBH i kinda forgot TTE existed lol

3 Likes

My family doesn’t approve of me being into Bionicle, because it’s a toyline for a younger demographic.

Guess I’m not allowed to like an actually alright story and figures I’ve loved for nearly all of my life just because I’m too old. Oh well.

6 Likes

Your mom said this to you? Wow…that’s kinda rude.

Most of my family is pretty okay with BIONICLE, but my dad…I’ve told stories about him before. :laughing: He absolutely despises BIONICLE, since he can’t see it as anything more than a toyline for little kids. Merely saying “BIONICLE” triggers him.

7 Likes

Pretty much describes my mom. Also blunt.

1 Like

How old is your older brother?

Var’s ear piercing sounds are hated by the entire household.

7 Likes

Gather round, and I’ll tell me tale of woe…

Actually, not much to say on the matter.

:stuck_out_tongue:
I wouldn’t strike up a conversation about TTV if I had to with them, really.

3 Likes

my parents are cool with me messing about with bonkles (despite being an adult now) since my dad is a collector of other stuff he gets my mentality

4 Likes

That’s like hating joy itself.

17 Likes