Reasons your family doesn't like TTV (and/or Bonkle)

It’s a bit of a love-hate relationship; they think that it’s a bit childish, but my dad built with system until he was in his mid-teens, so he tolerates it. My mom thinks that my MOCing is cool but encourages me to write on topics that will “appeal to a wider audience”. Back when G1 was in its prime, circa 2005, my dad actually wrote a public blog entry on how “legos” had changed so much since his childhood; “they now come in plastic tubes and have tons of media tie-ins that I’m sure are very lucrative”.

LOL.

Personally, this would serve only to further repulse my mom if I quoted it to her.

7 Likes

Yeah, she said to never say it again. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My parents don’t mind it, but at the same time could care less.

2 Likes

My mother understands that it’s something important to me, and also understands that it isn’t just a simple line (since otherwise I wouldn’t be interested, she knows my tastes well). She understands that it has a complex lore and plot, and enjoys knowing that I utilize my creativity through it. I grew up with BIONICLE for as far back as I can remember, I don’t remember asking for Kopaka Nuva or Pahrak, but I know that I had them growing up. As far as I know, she got me into BIONICLE in the first place.

My father also likes it when I MOC. He doesn’t know much about the story, and I don’t usually talk about it around him, but he knows it’s important to me, and respects it, much like my mother. Neither parent cares that I spend money on LEGO, and, funnily enough, when my mother heard G2 had ended she asked if I had gotten any of the 2016 sets before it did, seeming almost concerned that I wasn’t able to pick them up. It’s kinda funny, actually.

Yeah, I’m pretty lucky to have cool parents, I know not everyone has parents that are quite so… accepting. I have far too many friends with dictators for parents.

7 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing. When I heard G2 ended I texted my dad because I was really sad about it and he said “My condolences.” I told my mom when she got home and she rolled her eyes at me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

BIONICLE is the least of the problems associated with me that my parents have to deal with.

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

When your dad calls them BionIKleesss, you can tell he doesn’t like it.

5 Likes

My family just kinda accepts that I have a plastic addiction with BIONICLE

They don’t care enough to know anything about BIONICLE, though, except for that they’re expensive

=p

9 Likes

My mom supported it as a hobby and my dad held the “whatever makes you happy” view.

6 Likes

Whatever floats your sunken boat…

Hence, the past-tense verbs.

2 Likes

Can This Be Changed To
“reasons your family (and friends and other people) don’t like ttv (and/or bonkle”?
If so, I’ve got a good one.

I had a general “What do your parents think of bonkle” topic that got merged into this one, so anything’s possible. :stuck_out_tongue: I definitely support “friends and other people” being added, though.

1 Like

I mean that doesn’t really have to do with bionicle or ttv. It was just the music video for that song that seemed to be the thing they didn’t like.

If were talking about family AND friends now I can share this.

Most of my friends don’t care for LEGO at all, but I had a friend who used to LOVE the pirates of the Caribbean sets. He came to my house one day when I was MOCcing, and tried to make a MOC on his own.

He couldn’t even figure out how to make an Inika torso.
I spent the rest of the day silently laughing at him.

4 Likes

Woah. My first topic with more than a hundred replies.
Ok so technically thirty-five of the posts from timtown’s post but it still counts right?

Well anyways my mom walked past when I was watching the video podcast and she asked who I was watching. Anyways I gave a short ‘TTV’ in response and she asked if the female on screen was Viper. I replied with a curt “Yes” and she responded with “She’s pretty,”…

Facepalm.

7 Likes

My mom finds the most Bionicle Sets ugly and even scary because they’re standing everywhere in my room.
Also she finds them too childish >.<
But she has nothing against TTV.

6 Likes

I was showing my sister the TTV Vlog “Drinking the Kool-aid” and she thought it was funny, and also commented on Kahi and Viper, saying that they looked like how she thought they did but she imagined Kahi to look a bit more “American-Asian” or whatever.

4 Likes

which ones is she afraid of?

Sets like the Piraka. I know she doesn’t like them at all