Reboot Exo-Force: Yay or Nay?

Exo-Force had a unique art format, utilizing actual human designs in their comics, books and short films instead of using minifigures. They also had a no-nonsense mature vibe to their line, in comparison to the recent lines we have today, with the exception of Ultra Agents and possibly some others. So if LEGO were to reboot Exo-Force, would they change the format to fit the minifig-style artwork and make it more “child-friendly” for the masses? And most importantly, would these changes be good or bad?

14 Likes

I would personally want to see the theme back, since LEGO’s mech game has improved significantly since '06.

With that said, I would like the minifigs to follow the standard rules for a LEGO minifigure, since their anime eyes are just unappealing to me.

7 Likes

I’d love to see this come back. I’d buy all of the sets, if I could. I’d just hope they give the mechs knees, as the current ones lack that.

3 Likes

I’d like to see some Exo-force sets in Lego’s new quality.

I had most of the old Exo-force sets, and they were awful. Brittle things that came apart if you touched them wrong.

However, I’ve had a few mechs since then (Nya’s samurai mech comes to mind) and they were much better.

Also, the animations and comics were pretty good (nay, great), although the books left something to be desired. Y’know how G1 BIONICELL had the main story fleshed out in the books and summarized in the comics? Yeah, Exo-Force was the other way around.

Yes, I just said Bionicell.
It was not a typo.

~W12~

4 Likes

I would like the concept to be given a new lease, but I don’t think I’d want the theme itself to return.

Yes.
Very yes.

Most likely, they would dilute it into the current mass of generic minifig patronising that all of their recent lines have fallen into,
Lego has money now, they aren’t going to take risks, exo-force was the last real non-patronising story Lego made, as far as I can remember.

I’d rather they give the story rights to an animation company in Japan and let them create a mecha anime, and have Lego create mech designs for sale and use in the show.

I’d definitely like for the series to be a hard reboot, maybe bring back the og 2 mechs, but it definitely needs to be overhauled.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’d like them back.
(So I can actually buy some)

I really enjoyed Exo Force, and would love to see it back at some point.

That said, I’m afraid that it would have too much in common with its spiritual successor(Ninjago), and wouldn’t sell well enough. The mechas, the robots, the Japanese motif… They’d be pulling from essentially the same audience, thus dragging eachother down.

Perhaps whenever Ninjago’s run its course.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say that, every recent Lego line has had a mech or two, but only ef was based around mechs,
The robots are drastically different from one another, and ninjago while drawing from traditional Japanese sources from an aesthetic point is heavily western, whereas exo-force was heavily based in anime/manga and futuristic tech,
Both lines certainly take heavy inspiration from Japan, however it’s from drastically different places.
I seriously doubt anime fans make up a large portion of ninjago’s fanbase.

2 Likes

Maby they should do some kind of a cross over with ninjago by give the ninja exo foce mechs maby bring in an exo force character but most importantly bring in the robots use the same molds there perfect already

personally as i never cared for the story i would just like lego to make mechs with knee joints again.

Nay, it wasnt a very popular line to get a return.

Yes. I only got one set Uplink, and I wanted more but I got Power Miners instead. Looking back, it wasn’t the smartest choice.

yay one of the best lego series by far

While I would like it, and I would rather it keep it’s more serious vibe I highly doubt that it’d go unchanged and I’d probably dislike some of the changes made. In short, I’d like to see a mecha like theme, that’s serious, but I doubt we will get that. It was one of the lines I really liked and wanted (along with mars mission), but never got because I put all my money towards bionicle.

1 Like

Yes exo force was my childhood. I’d love to see a reboot!

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’d want a reboot, I love Exo-Force but rather than a reboot I would much rather have a new original mech line.

I never got any Exo-Force sets (to busy buying Bionicle), but I would definitely be interested in a reboot. However, I would fear that it would feel watered down and lame (storywise) compared to the original.

1 Like

yeah I think there should be a reboot, seeing how lego is now we could probably get some really cool builds

1 Like