Rebuild Old LEGO Sets (Challenge)

Recently, a topic was released about what themes LEGO should bring back/discontinue. As I was reviewing this topic, I decided I wanted to rebuild some of my sets from my favorite themes.
Going online, I found a website that had instructions from older themes.

I have started with the POWER MINERS theme.
I have built the Stone Chopper, Mine Mech, Granite Grinder, Claw Digger and Thunder Driller (stickers and all!). The Crystal Sweeper, Boulder Blaster, and Crystal King are next on the list.

I challenge everybody who wants to walk down Memory Lane to rebuild previously owned sets from your private collection (and, if you REALLY want a challenge, try to build with the exact pieces the instructions show; no short-cuts).

It seems hard, but it is actually really fun! Feel free to post WIP photos!

LINK: http://brickinstructions.com
note: some of the instructions for certain themes are still in development.

Happy Building!
:thumbsup:

-BBC1W1

8 Likes

I’ve been working on rebuilding my BIONICLE collection since 2014.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing this for a long while.

I have very few and limited system pieces, but I have managed to construct either actual sets, alternate models, models in certain lego games, or modules of sets (pre-2011) which have their own building step sections in the instructions, and compiled all the builds into a single mini cityscape while trying to coordinate a somewhat coherent colour scheme

The ramp build on the right for example is part of this Spider Man alternate model, the gas pump on the lower left if part of an old town set, and the boat on the lower right is from the Res-Q town subtheme

The ladder build is from a small studios set, and the border beside it is a section from an Indiana Jones set. The house is an inspirational build shown in the classic bulk boxes instructions if I recall correctly

Oh and there’s a minikit! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You don’t know how many times I have tried and failed to do this.

1 Like

I’m working on building something very fancy!

What do you mean exactly?

1 Like

Basically, if the instructions show you to use a piece like this

you can’t substitute it for two of these pieces.

It’s an optional requirement, but the more you follow it, the more chances you have completing sets.

3 Likes

Oh, ok. It’s generally called blasphemy in my Lego vocabulary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

1 Like

Reminds me of the times when I was really young and I just used the correctly shaped parts to rebuild stuff. The colour schemes got… interesting, if not to say out of hand.

I rebuilt everything I have a couple years ago already, here a few examples of my favorite sets:

These two belong together

That jackal treasure chest is just awesome.

Just look at all these minifigs that castle included:

And these old Star Wars sets with Comics in their instructions:

This set has an insane play value in my opinion.
I also liked how in the past there always were alternate building ideas suggested:

My dad actually gave all the U.F.O. guys names when he played with me. The name of their race was “Ruborians” from the planet of “Rubor”

8 Likes

Every other build in my collection uses some variation of that short cut due to my lack of pieces :stuck_out_tongue:

@altair it’s called being resourceful

1 Like

When it comes to official Lego sets, I’m a bit of a purist :wink:.

1 Like

I’ve been rebuilding some sets recently. I rebuilt some small city sets (A Lawnmower polybag and a tiny little farm thing) but I’m mainly focusing on fixing my older Ninjago sets. I already rebuilt Skull Motorbike and Ninja Ambush so all that’s left is Epic Dragon Battle. It is a huge pain in the butt to find all the pieces to, but I guess I’ll update when I’ve made more progress.

3 Likes

Now this is a true blast from the past!
One of my favorite Lego sets of all time, the Red Planet Protector.

Lego life on Mars was so good…

6 Likes

ah yes, the devestating mars walker with its dual air condtioning fans of doom!

4 Likes

I don’t actually think they’re offensive weapons, as Life on Mars was all about Humans and Aliens working together peacefully.

2 Likes

UPDATE: March 7th
The Crystal Sweeper is functional, but it needs a few more pieces before it is basically perfect. What’s funny is that while digging for pieces for the previous sets, I’ve come across the pieces I needed, but ignored them at the time. Now, when I really need them most, they seem to just vanish.

Funny how that works.

So, in short, if you can’t find the pieces you need, move on to restoring another theme. Chances are you’ll find what you need when you won’t need it.
:smile: -LOL

1 Like

This used to happen to me every time when I was trying to rebuild all my bonklez in the 2011-2014 period. It’s the unwritten law of large Lego containers, I guess :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

That alien looks schway.

2 Likes

His name is Centauri, and I really liked it too.

3 Likes

So here’s a picture of all the pieces I’ve found for the Epic Dragon Battle, and the pile that I need to search through that has most of the rest of them. I say most because there are more that aren’t in there. It’s also a mix of Shellraiser pieces because I wanna rebuild that.
Left is EDB pieces, right is parts I need to search through

1 Like

Take your time.
There’s no rush.

1 Like