RIP Monty Oum

the beloved creator of RWBY has sadly passed away, it was devastating to me and my friends as we feel for his family and friends he was a role model and a great person, forgive me, I am deeply saddened and can’t really think of anything else to say other than how has Monty effected you?

PS: do not move this to RWBY as I believe this deserves to be it’s own separate topic

11 Likes

I don’t really know him, but it’s a shame he died from an allergic reaction. I hope he found peace.

3 Likes

Wait, what? Did this really happen?

Yeah, it did. They talk about it on the RoosterTeeth website in more detail.

2 Likes

Yeah; I looked it up just now. I… don’t know what to say.

4 Likes

Earlier, we lost a great man. Let us mourn him and hope for the best of both RoosterTeeth staff and the RWBY series

1 Like

I thought it was a sick joke when I first heard the news of his death. I was breathless when I found it was true.

R.I.P Monty Oum

3 Likes

@JMP
@ColdGoldLazarus
@Collector
and anyone else who loves Monty, how did he effect your lives? He effected me and my friends by getting us into animation, and he was a role model to us

His series, RWBY, did give me inspiration to make me want to get into digital art, but I’m most thankful for it giving me joy when I would feel down in the dumps.

3 Likes

RWBY gave me more hope that Independant, original ideas like the ones I make can become popular

2 Likes

With RWBY, he showed me in a way that really drove it home to me that I can still succeed in a creative sense even if my current plans don’t work out, as long as I keep working hard at it.

2 Likes

He’s not dead, he’s just not here right now…

8 Likes

I never liked RWBY, but I loved his work in RvB. I will miss this man.

1 Like

Ah yes, RvB

hopefully they continue that aswell. It was really fun

1 Like

I’ve respected Monty’s work for years, and has inspired me greatly. I hope he can rest easy.

4 Likes

I know for a fact they will be continuing RvB

3 Likes

I agree with @Middlefingerstudios. RvB started long before they hired Monty. It’s RWBY I’m concerned about it…

5 Likes

CROSS-POST FROM THE RWBY THREAD:

I was hit pretty hard by this news; I knew that it was, of course, a possibility, but I had hoped against hope that it wouldn’t come to this.

I’ve only recently been getting invested in RT content, but I’ve been a fan of RVB and RWBY for years. Monty’s craft has always astounded me; his fight scenes and choreography have always been ridiculously impressive, and helped usher RVB into a whole new realm.

I remember first watching the RWBY “Red” trailer because Kahi and Var were raving about it on Skype. I had skipped the end credits of RVB that year, so I’d missed out on seeing it that way. When I watched it myself, I was absolutely blown away.

I’ve been a follower of RWBY ever since. For all its flaws (and there’s many of them), it’s undeniable how much passion Monty had for the show. I was really anticipating watching it develop over the years, and while I’m sure the current team will honor Monty’s legacy and strive to keep the show going… it’s never going to be the same.

Still, I definitely believe the best way to honor Monty’s legacy is to not become clouded in grief, but rather strive forwards with boundless creativity and the drive to succeed. One of my favorite quotes by Monty, [which came from a journal about his mother’s death that I STRONGLY RECOMMEND everyone read][1], is as follows:

“Can you match my resolve?
If so then you will succeed”

Rest in Peace.

-Mesonak
[1]: montyoum.net - Passing

12 Likes

well said Meso, or well said Monty, we must keep going and honor his memory, we must move along

3 Likes

This guy wrote a very heartfelt piece on the subject: RubberNinja Animations

Personally, I think I’ve come to a decision. I am going to do my best to match that resolve.

6 Likes