Rooster Teeth's RWBY [Discussion]

“I FOUND HIM”

You can actually hear how much fun Vic was having in the booth.

4 Likes

So, I was sitting, thinking, and I just realized something that bothers me.

I have no idea where the story is going. I don’t know what the end-goal is, I don’t know what the enemy motivations are. I don’t even know what makes them “bad” from an objective or even subjective perspective. That kind of annoys me at this point, especially five seasons into a series.

At the beginning of Avatar the Last Airbender, I KNOW what I’m getting into. We’re given the basics early on: Learn how to bend all four elements, take on evil Fire Lord. Why is the Fire Lord evil? He’s a narcissist that wants to consume everything into his empire. What’s his beef with Aang? He’s the Avatar, the one being that can stop him, and that being always has the purpose to maintain balance between all elements, which includes the regions that represent them. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood? Same deal. We know early on that the main goal is to get Alphonse his body back. The villain side of this is admittedly about as developed as RWBY’s, so it’s not the best example, but still.

RWBY seems to be straying more towards Shonen type anime (DBZ, Fairy Tail, Naruto), and that’s the type of anime I really have a strained relationship with. Some of them actually pay off and know what they’re doing, but most are just making it up as they go along. Nothing really gets done, and the goal is always ambiguous. In fact, most goals don’t even pan out to be of much importance, they’re just plot devices that get dropped the next season.

This isn’t to say that RWBY is bad, or that I’m not enjoying it. What I’m saying is that by now every good story has given you a clear look at the main objectives and goals of the series and the characters in it. RWBY has been extremely ambiguous to the point of annoyance. I sure hope this season fixes that.

2 Likes

Imo I thought the main goal of the story is for them to grow up.

Or is that just what the season 2 theme song wants you to believe?

2 Likes

It had better not be or I’ll be angery

2 Likes

Personally, I thought season 4 and now the beginning of season 5 have made this clear: The villains want to use the Maidens and/or Relics for their own purposes. The heroes are trying to keep both of those relatively safe. Granted, we don’t know why the villains want this (besides the White Fang; their motivations are pretty clear). Unfortunately, RWBY doesn’t have the greatest villains as of yet. Maybe they’ll get better, maybe they won’t.

3 Likes

Just watched the new episode, Qrow is the best

If only he could have saved summer rose in that episode

1 Like

I second this to the thousandth degree. RWBY as a whole feels rather aimless, like they figured out how to animate neat fight scenes and then decided to let the gaps try and fill themselves in.

1 Like

Well so far Salem seems intent on destroying the kingdoms of Remnant and gathering the four relics. Other than that, idk.

3 Likes

Why dont the hero bois just use the relics to beat the heck out of the villains

1 Like

What relics? Did I miss something?

2 Likes

Yes, you did.

1 Like

Wait. Is this a new thing in volume 5, or am I just really unobservant?

1 Like

They were mentioned mentioned twice in volume 4.

~W12~

1 Like

Dang. I’ll have to rewatch it.

For reference, they’re brought up in chapter 8.

~W12~

1 Like

Thanks.

New RWBY intro

“Yesteryears”

Boi. R U Sure bout that?

Alright. So I just saw the new episode, and I have a few things to say about it.

Holy crap I love this episode! First there’s the whole thing about Oscar/Ozpin. How about I just call him Oscarpin? Anyway, there’s the whole thing about Oscarpin and how team RNGR is all like, “I don’t know about this kid.” and there’s the whole thing about Lionheart, and I love his character, but then mystery Schnee man starts talking and I remembered he’s evil. Also, didn’t Lionheart say that the spring maiden ran away a decade ago? And that Raven captured her right after she ran away? There’s no way she’s “property” at this point. By now, she’s either escaped, or she’s become a member of Raven’s clan. Also, we’re going to get to know more about Raven apparently. All we know about her now is that she has a portal sword, and that she’s a horrible person, and an even worse mother. And last before I talk about the intro. Yang! Holy crap I loved her segment, even if it was the shortest one. It was flipping amazing. Especially when she punched that creepy guy that was hitting on her. The man bounced around like a pinball! And finaly, the new intro. Personally, I really liked the song. Its no Time to Say Goodbye, or This Will Be The Day, but its also not When It Falls, which is good. I’d put it somewhere around Lets Just Live personally. As for the intro footage, there’s not a whole lot to talk about. By seasons end, team RWBY will get back together, and they’ll be facing off against Salem. Not to mention we know what the Spring Maiden looks like. So that’s cool. Anyway, I loved the first episode of Volume 5, and it looks really promising.