Scouting

Working on that one now, I still have a pathway to get my Eagle before I’m 18, but finding time is becoming insanity.

1 Like

Yeah, I am glad I have time. I should be able to get my Eagle done pretty soon, as I have about four years left…

1 Like

Yeah… Supposedly I’m supposed to get them to first class by the time they turn twelve, I’ll be surprised if they survive to turn twelve became I have to resist the urge to murder them all…

1 Like

My 11 year old scout leader was a middle aged man with enough patience to deal with us. And I had everything but the swimming requirements done before I turned 12. So it can happen.

I was also the senior patrol leader for about half of it, so I ended up helping the other boys get their stuff together.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit what rank I was by the time I finished. I got a lot of merit badges and was always there every week, but I started at 13 and I didn’t want to be with the 11 year olds to do all the stuff for advancing. It stings a little I will admit when there’s a court of honor and so many people sit in the Eagle’s Nest but oh well. Scouting and I weren’t fully compatible but I loved it.

1 Like

Yeah… I’m a 19 year old college student.

I used to be a Scout, and hey @RaptorTalon at least you don’t have a couple as Scout leaders.

We did, it was the middle aged dude and his wife.

1 Like

Ah, Boy Scouts, learning how to deal with pains in the rear and learning how much of a pain you were at that age.

But really, I quite enjoy it.

Also, I’m an Eagle Scout, and Mata-nui it was a crap ton of work. But, I’m done with it now, and I’m in the same boat as some others apparently have been. Leading scouts 2-4 years younger than me, most of whom are at-sign double-dollar signs, if you get me. But hey, good training for life.

1 Like

Imagine it as training for being a parent, or something like that.

was anyone except me from here at JOTA/JOTI?

I got all the way to becoming a Life Scout, but ran out of time to get my Eagle since I turned 18 last March. I enjoyed scouting a lot, sucks that I didn’t get my Eagle but I’m glad I still did it.

i started my first day as a leader yesterday. was pretty fun

1 Like

I’ve never done scouting before, but my sister did Girl Scouts and…she hated it.

Basically her troop was full of Cookie Moms (basically the Dance Moms of scouting), and a bunch of little girls that were pretty nuts from what I heard.

1 Like

Just got back from a state jamboree, and got this dope patch:

(Not my image)

2 Likes

that looks like a fantastic theme for a jamboree

we in sweden get stuff like togetherness and friendship as a theme every time instead.

1 Like

I was in cub scouts for a few years and I hated it

Some folks who hated scouting thought it was supposed to be “fun;” it is supposed to foster citizenship through personal efficiency, which can be “fun,” but “fun” isn’t the point. Excellence is the point, and excellence takes work.

Other folks who hated scouting simply never received the best scouting has to offer: creativity, signaling, varied opportunities for interest, suffering and succeeding against trials, and other meaningful experiences.

What else could be the point of scouting?

1 Like