Self MOC: Toa Stoax V6

Since last fall, I had been looking to alter Stoax’s appearance in a manner that appealed most to me. Something about the form shown throughout my early days on the boards had just gradually begun to unappeal to me and I found myself constantly trying to modify him though all means. I tried out different limb styles, figuring out ways to best distribute the colors, etc, all to no avail. I entered a MOCing block for a couple months after that and eventually took the old Stoax almost completely apart. Then something hit me: upon discovering @legomaster1378 's Metru build based MOCs, it dawned on me that I should turn to a style of build I myself have always been fond of. 2004 is my favorite year in G1 BIONICLE and the Toa Metru are some of my favorite sets, so I decided why not. Over the course of February I tried planning out how I would distribute the colors, what kind of armor to give him, so on and so forth. Come March, I believe I have found a look for Stoax that I can enjoy.

And now without furtherado, Stoax V6!

BIO:

Group: SOLISGUARD (Formerly), Sons of Spherus
Kanohi: Great Artakhan Matatu
Powers: Plasma waves
Tools: Giga Pick, Fists of Haunga/Concussive Blaster (Weapon not shown)
Pronunciation: Stohks

Stoax began his life as a Po-Matoran carver on Artakha. His work was highly acclaimed by many, earning him the title of “The Master Carver” and spreading numerous legends across the Matoran Universe, often being called “Caliq” in them. During the League of Six Kingdoms reign, he was forced to serve under Pridak and create statues of the ruler, often with little respect for the Matoran. Thousands of years later he’d join the military group SOLISGUARD and partake in Operation Vindicta, investigating the happenings of the Raid on Artakha. Following this mission, the Toa of Stone was not to comfortable with how the group ran and decided to leave. Stoax is now affiliated with the Sons of Spherus- another group against the Brotherhood of Makuta, consisting of Pligurius, Chelena- and is trying to make his way off the Northern Continent alongside them.

Personality:

As a Matoran, Stoax held a great pride and dedication in his work, proving to be quite stubborn when trying to finish a project and unwilling to halt until all was said and done. The neccesity to push himself often led the Matoran to housing a great intolerance for disrespect, something greatly prevalent during Pridaks reign when the ruler claimed Stoax was often to fail in meeting his standards. It is this that showed the Matoran was easy to frustrate under pressure and even more quick to anger. Though carving helped him blow off steam, he occasionally damaged sculptures if they didn’t look proper and seemed unfixable.

Despite being rather abrasive, he cared deeply for his Matoran comrades and would push himself to make them happy, something he would hold onto through his early years as a Toa and through the grief he expressed when his partners Minera and Rauera had been separated from him. This was often clouded by a lack of self control over his temper and the power he possessed, though he has since been working on trying to be more cautious of his actions and concentrating on his duty to the Matoran.

Stoax was shown to be quite crafty and quick to learn, being able to find his way out of a certain situation in many creative ways. However, he was also known to be highly acrophobic, often uneasy during flight on aircrafts, a fear he had grown after Pridak dangled him over the edge of a cliff as a Matoran.

Onto the MOC!

Front

Obligatory Nyran Shot

Pick resting on shoulder

Hands grappled around pick ready to swing!

Slamming the pick into the ground. I really like this pose for some reason.

Giga Pick stored on back

But WAIT… There’s more! What? You though we were done? Shame on you!

With some extraneous pieces and a couple parts from his Toa form, I was able to make what I envision him looking like as a Matoran.

Front, in all his blue pin glory

Back. Yeah it’s just a modified Metrutoran build. I believe IDS used it for his Matoran character, Krone.

Ready to carve a new statue

“Hafu, eat your heart out.”

That’s all for now. I plan on making his Fists of Haunga/ Concussive Blaster eventually.

47 Likes

They both look awesome! Love the colour scheme! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

It’s a big deviation from his prior forms, but I think it really looks good. His textures are really consistent, and his halberd is really neat. Maybe some things that need to be added is a brown Mahiki, and more armor on the back of his shins. Other than that, it’s a solid 9/10.

2 Likes

awesome!
I love that you made a matoran form

The colors really work together on both the Mataron and the Toa builds. Nice job

I gotta say, that tan Matatu looks pretty good along with the brown and tan armor. I like it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really love build on this one, I think the best part about it is how all the textures are so rocky and so… stone-like. Looking at the colours on this MOC is like eating a gooey chocolate cookie. It’s just so nice. The use of that metru-matoran torso was a great choice. The mask also fits well. I think the one awkward thing about him is the weapon. I get what you were going for with the Giga pick, however I feel like the execution was a bit poor. I myself have actually used that Glatorian blade piece for one of my MOCs and it was supposed to represent a sleek axe. The problem is that you’ve called it a pick when it looks nothing like a pick. A pick is where the curved metal piece is basically perpendicular to the wooden shaft. I don’t think I would’ve ‘picked’ up on the weapon if you hadn’t called it that, but since you’ve called it a Giga pick, it’s just wrong.

Would love to see the Fists of Haunga/Concussive Blaster though…

Anyway, that’s literally the only problem I have with this. Other than that, it’s byotiful

9/10 mate

2 Likes

Three weeks later…
Stoax v7!
Still really cool, I like the use of the Metru body.

Nailed it! Great color scheme. Really matches the stone cutter motif. And the big guy’s weapon is really awesome.

1 Like

Yeah, I myself was a little uncertain on that design too. It grew on me a little, though looking at it now I can kinda see what you mean. There were two other design for a pickaxe head that I had which goes for a more traditional look.

5 Likes

He looks stellar! my only gripe would be the upper legs are too thin. But he looks great!

1 Like

The colours make it look a dessert or something.
I wanna eat your moc…

1 Like

That’s slightly better, but again, the spikes need to be pointing outwards to be a pick (minecraft pickaxe always annoys me lol) because they need to be able to penetrate rock. If you angled those spikes up slightly - maybe use two of these?

either way, I kinda prefer that design to his actual one!

EDIT: actually thinking about it, possibly an even more angled connector

2 Likes

aw man, gonna miss the brown mask, but overall he looks good

Happy to have served as inspiration for yet another MOCer.

This is a stellar MOC man. The colours work together wonderfully and the part motifs look really good together. I have got to use one of those Metru-toran torsos on a Metru-MOC sometime. Not too sure I’m a fan of the exposed studs on the arms (the ones on the torso don’t bother me as much). Have you got any 1x1 tan tiles? I agree with @RaggedClaws, the pickaxe is a neat weapon, but doesn’t really resemble a pic. I really like this alternative design with the trans light-green accents (though as @RaggedClaws said, you should angle the tips up more).

A really solid MOC overall man! Great photography too. :smiley:

RIP silver LEGO spear. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

This guys looks really great, the colours along with the Metru build really work to make this MOC look fantastic.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

1 Like

Nice. Reminds me of a revamped Onewa.

Wait
Your name means Stone axe from what I heard of
And you are using a Pickaxe
YOUR MOCS NAME IS A LIE
/S

1 Like