Set Accuracy In The BIONICLE Movies

Well, they do have to take liberties. I’m sure that the budget restraint on the sets doesn’t allow the sets to be show-accurate. Some designers post a non-budget restrained version of sets they have designed.

I find it very interesting how in MoL the Bohrok are virtually identical to the sets, so much so that they look jarring when compared to other characters.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they’re more mechanical than organic?

14 Likes

Aren’t the rahkshi equally as mechanical?
I think it’s just that they couldn’t be bothered modeling an original design for the 5 seconds of partially obscured screen time they received.

5 Likes

So I was rewatching the Mirimax Bionicle movies, and I noticed a few interesting design choices by Creative Capers.

The Turaga Body Structure is clearly based on the Bohrok Va
Compare the double jointed torso, and in some scenes if you look close enough, when the Turaga turn around, you can clearly make out a back piece resembling the “backpack” that holds the Krana on the original set. They cleverly covered these up with the robes. Side note, I think it’s interesting how the Turaga of Mata Nui were depicted with simple cloth robes while Lhikan and Dume wore ones with intricate patterns. Truly reflects the contrast between the Mata Nui and Metru Nui settings

Also notice how the Rahi in Legends of Metru Nui appear to have been designed after the prototype sets

Compare this Kikanalo for example. The head design, body structure, and tail are almost identical

The leathery wings Nivawk gained in the movie also appear to be a take off of the wings of this prototype of the set seen in the “Making of” featurette on the DVD. The big change is that the movie wings are blue with yellow specks instead of black. The wing structure though definitely matches up

6 Likes

Anyone notice that Vakama has a robot made out of a Bohrok that helps him in his forge? It’s strange, because it’s the only robot in the movies. (Robot, not biomechanical).

2 Likes

My mistake.

Also notice how the Rahi in Legends of Metru Nui appear to have been designed after the prototype sets

And also something interesting, is that its 3d model have huge similarities with the Ash bear from MoL, like the shape of the body, the use of the Nuva pauldrons, the mata arms for the claws, …

1 Like

Hey I don’t know if you’ve learned anything more about this yet but those little suckers are called Fire Drones and there is an unsatisfyingly small amount of info on them

1 Like

I do now.

1 Like

I don’t remember exactly if I saw this point on this thread, on this site or on reddit, but I saw something interesting about Krekka movie version vs the set version. In the movie Krekka have a bulky white head with a small mechanical yellow eye and a bigger one stances as scope. Because of the design implied, I always thought he was a muted snow toa, like Nidhiki was…

But if you look the cover box art of the set, you can see IN FACT that his scope is a visor, and he supposed to have two eyes in front of his head, but the piece is full painted white for obvious restriction reasons.

Update: Oh, when I searched the cover pictures, I found this picture too:

It come form a YT video. Interesting fact, is that we can see clearly how the confusion was made, and now I can’t unseen the movie face and both heads seems pretty accurate to each other !

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure why the movies had Vakama wear a different Huna than the other matoran in Metru Nui. Same goes for the other 5 Toa Metru. I assume it was to distinguish them from the other matoran? Were there other matoran in metru nui that wore similar masks, or was it just the Toa Metru.

1 Like

TLeR took set accuracy so far that they stuck Telluris on the back of a real Skopio.

9 Likes

Yeah, it was weird when I’ve noticed it first time xD

1 Like