Should the Toa and Matoran be the same height? [POLL]

We’ve been having an ongoing discussion ever since last weeks TTV Podcast episode in regards to the height of our Matoran characters.

In our canon, the Toa are Matoran individuals who have been selected to wield power gifted to them by the Elemental Gods, changing them into Toa. Now, this concept is nothing new to Bionicle, G1 Toa were also evolved matoran granted enhanced powers and abilities.

The question arises, however, for a system based Bionicle line, should the Matoran be shorter than the Toa? And if so how should we go about that size difference.

For the purpose of this poll I want you to really think hard about what you value most in terms of adapting Bionicle into a system theme.

In many instances, reducing the height of the Matoran will either limit the pose-ability of the Matoran figures, or force the figure to utilize a roundabout method to achieve the same effect, taking away from the stature or simplicity of the default Lego minfigure.

Likewise, to make the Matoran match the Toa in height will take away from the clear visual distinction between the two types of beings and their power-sets. In this instance, the Toa can feel less powerful or unique, and marks a great departure from how Toa have been depicted in the past generations.

• The Matoran and Toa should have the same height
  • The Matoran should be shorter than the Toa

0 voters

This is a poll, not a vote. This topic is meant to open up a conversation about a hypothetical change that could happen if Bionicle were translated into a system theme. We’re only interested in opinions and your reasoning behind them. Whichever option is most popular will not necessarily become canon in our G3.

11 Likes

I said it. They should be the same height. Fight me. /s

You should have the Matoran be shorter because it works better to have the heroes be taller than the regular villagers.

5 Likes

The Toa being taller helps represent that they’re more powerful than the villagers. End of discussion.

However, for minifigs, any armor on the Toa will give them the height difference, and so villagers can stay as regular minifigs.

7 Likes

The armor shouldn’t be the factor that decides height difference. The Toa need to be physically taller, to represent their power and importance. Anyone can wear armor, not everyone can be a Toa. Plus, making the Matoran smaller while still having articulation isn’t that hard. I’ve posted some solutions already.

3 Likes

From a purely story building point of view it makes little sense for the matoran to be shorter, but I can understand the desire for it when you apply these concepts to a toy line for children.

Do they, though? Do they actually need to be? I’m thinking about other characters in pop culture: superheroes, avatars, people that gained abilities. They don’t really need to be taller to show that.

4 Likes

Well, they kinda do. Thinking about younger children, which I assume a System line would be aimed at, the might not understand who is the hero and who needs to be saved.

And honestly, it makes more sense for the villagers to be shorter, because it could allow for some good parts of the story where the Toa underestimate the Matoran by their height and later find out how capable they are of fighting rahi and whatnot.

1 Like

If the Toa were the same height as the Matoran, then Nidihki’s remark towards the Toa Metru would actually make sense.

But for real though, I feel as though it give the Toa more presence and gives them more a distinction to the Matoran. I don’t think just giving them different masks and armour really is enough to distinguish between the two.
Plus, considering this is in System form, the Toa won’t be ridiculously tall compared to the Matoran.

They seem to do pretty fine with every other LEGO line.

4 Likes

If brickonicle is an adaption than the hierachy should be kept Toa being big, than Turaga, and Small Matoran.

Matoran should use the shorter legs, I dont mind the legs the Matoran would still have more articulation than a bigfig

1 Like

I originally said no, because I never did like the way G1/G2 did it, having the Toa be twice the size of the Toa, but with BrickOniCle, the scale wouldn’t be quite so exaggerated, so I’d be on board with it.

~W12~

Such as?

I think it’s very important to be able to tell the heroes from the villagers at a glance.

What if you extend the Toa legs with a 1x1 plate piece? Or something like that.

I imagine the Toa as slightly bigger, but I don’t see what all the fuss with leg pieces is about. I figured that eventually armor pieces would come to physically represent the slightly increased statue of the Toa. Until then, I have no problem with characters that are of slightly different height in-story utilizing the same size minifigure early on, especially given that our Toa aren’t built as larger heroes to begin with. In fact, I’d prefer if it the growth occurs as they become more practiced and in-tune with their powers, a physical change that could be represented in later upgrades through the addition of armor pieces that do slightly increase the figures’ height.

1 Like

I personally am for that the Matorans should be as tall as the Toa.

the argument that if the Matorans are not shorter than them, it takes away the unique and powerful appearance of the Toa come off as rather silly.

I don’t see why we have to make the Matorans look weak and pitiful to make the Toa look more powerful and heroic. Plus if there is going to be a moment were in the Matorans fight back against a rahi or some other threat, not only would that too invalidate their need for the Toa, but it also would not be taken seriously, like how the Okotans fighting the Elemental Beasts was not taken seriously when it happened
http://i.imgur.com/F8VO6X4.gif

here is the thing, making the matorans shorter than the Toa as a way to show off how weaker they are compared to them, would just give the impression to other people that they are helpless and can’t defend themselves.

3 Likes

Matoran should be the same height, especially if they are technically the same species. The toa could be made distinct via markings, colors, masks, armor, etc. For example, in Nexo Knights, the squirebots are shorter, true, but at least in the sets, there are also these guys: It seems clear that they aren’t the same rank as the main characters, simply because they aren’t named, and they have different armor colors. With brickonicle, the toa could have distinct masks and armor, as well as be covered in elemental markings. In regards to the masks, the toa could be the only ones to wear their masks in that color.
As far as reasons for them being the same height, I have a few. First of all, I think kids would devalue the shorter figures, especially if their legs are static. Also, if matoran have normal legs, kids could put together their own toa out of matoran parts, increasing the play value.
Wow, sorry for the long post.

5 Likes

While I can get behind reasoning for both sides, making the Matoran the same height would be too jurassic of a change for me.

2 Likes

I think the matoran being smaller and the toa being human size worked well for bionicle g1 and in constraction sets (probably due to the human biology parallels and some other factors) but seeing as g3 is a system theme and these toa are actually matoran who have been powered up by elmental spirits I think they should be at least around the same height.

An increase in power can still be conveyed with the same height, and I think it would be odd for these characters to suddenly transform into giraffe’s compared to their fellow matoran hitting their heads constantly on the top of doors. I also don’t think the lower matoran would work at all as minifigures, they would end up looking squashed, like you lowered the height of a picture in word/paint without changing it’s width.

3 Likes